Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ICE 55 review
So a buddy and I forked out the dough and each bought one of these sweet lookin flashers. Just wanted to let anyone who is in the market to buy a flasher know that these humminbirds are well worth it!! In our group of friends that we go with we have two 35's, one 45, two 55's and a marcum LX5. Not much interference when we are all fishing close to one another. If any had problems it was with the 35 next to the more powerful units. Battery life on these have been awesome. I've fished from 5am to 5pm and still had 70% life on my battery. The large display is sweet with the digital read out. I personally think it is easy on the eyes and doesn't make as much noise as I've heard people say.The deepest water I have had it in is 50 ft but I can pick up my tiny swivel in that depth without a problem. It has worked great with a weedy bottom and rocky bottom. The six color display is the best part because you can actually tell the size of fish around you bait. I have fished with the Marcum and Vex. The only one that compares to the 55 is the Marcum LX5. The only thing I wish the 55 had that the Marcum does is the SFL (super fine line) feature. other than that this unit has DEFINITELY doubled if not tripled the amount of fish I catch. If you have any questions about it feel free to ask.
[signature]
Thanks for the post, I just bought one of these myself and am itching to get it out on the ice to test it. After your review I'm glad I went with this one. I might have to shoot you a pm after I try it out if I have any questions. Thanks.
[signature]
Yeah it might take a bit to get it dialed in but once you do it is deadly. I can't wait to take it to the gorge this year in some deep water.
[signature]
I have one of these under the tree and boy do I wish it was X-mas!!! Thanks for the post, that's good info to know.
[signature]
If you have time, maybe it would be better if you have a chance to go out sometime fishing maybe we can get together on the ice and save myself some typing[Smile]. I will fish for anything.
[signature]
That sounds good to me! I go out about every weekend. I've been out about 5 times this year. Scofield twice, strawberry, red creek and birch creek. If I remember right you are from E town, WY? I really want to hit some lakes up there. Naughton, Fontanelle, Sulfur creek etc.... I'm hitting the Berry thursday night thru Friday. First time night fishing there so we will see.
[signature]
I have the Marcum lx5 and I've got to use it once this season. What is benefit to the super fine line mode?

Thanks,

Justin
[signature]
becareful at the berry i had a buddy out at mud creek fall in on saturday said it was only about 3inches thick and on his way back to shore he just fell through be careful and best of luck. oh and how was red creek? is it still low as ever and did you catch anything?
[signature]
We fished just off the highway by soldier creek. The ice was anywhere from 3 inches to 5 inches. A lot of water on the ice! Red Creek was really low but I have never caught so many fish in a short period of time in my life. If you have been to Scofield in the last couple years and have seen how fast and furious it can be. Well times that by three and you have Red Creek. Nothing over 14 inches but hard fighting bows for sure. There were 8 of us on the ice and we fished it for about 2 hours. 50 to 60 fish a piece. Lost count after 40 ha ha our group is pretty competitive.
[signature]
I like the SFL because when you get into a school of fish you can really determine how the fish are acting and can actually tell how many fish are in the school instead of having a fat line, which could have two or three fish in it. It works really well in the weeds too. Shorter words it makes things a little more clear. Awesome unit though!
[signature]
You probably already knew, but Humminbird is giving cash rebates on the Ice Flasher purchases. You can get the form online and you have to cut out the upc code from the box and mail it in. The deadline I think is by the end of December though. Just a heads up.
[signature]
ok. this is a silly question i guess, but if these units are so cool, and i have no doubt they are, why doesn't anyone use them year round? seems like everyone gets it out for the hard deck, but why not mid july at bird island looking at 20lb cats? or off the side of the boat at strawberry when you guys are jiggin cutts? or along the shore when you are targeting the largemouth in the spring?

Just a question, because i don't know...
[signature]
or how bout this? when there are 15 of us in waders in the mouth of the spanish fork river, standing shoulder to shoulder praying for a walleye, why not have one out there seeing if there REALY ARE some walleye heading up the river?
[signature]
My buddy has a 45 and he used it off of his pontoon the fall at Pineview. Worked well but you have to be fishing vertically.
[signature]
I was looking at it on the web site, and it showed a bunch of accessories you could buy with it. My question is what comes with it when you buy it? Does it come with a battery and what have ya?
[signature]
Yep, sure did know. Rebate went out today. So after the rebate and the $425 with shipping price that I found online it will be $370 all said and done![cool]
[signature]
how thick was the ice at red creek? i love fishin that place so many fish!!
[signature]
Beast,

What came in the box for the 55 was the head unit, transducer, cables, mounting hardward, battery, and carrying case. I'm pretty sure they all come with the above except the case, don't think the 35 or 45 come with it.
[signature]
At least 7 inches. Edges were iffy but fun as Heck!
[signature]
Thanks Perchski
The old VPG is getting worn out and looking to get something new. This sounds like it might be the one!
One more question if I may.
Have you been fishing for burbot and If so did it pick them up? It seem they come in low and the finders I have been around won't pick them up
[signature]