Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Float tube safety
I know alot of us are aware of things like tides and other boats but I feel it necessary to mention this again because I saw someone get pulled out of the channel by the Harbor Patrol.

Use this site:

[url "http://www.saltwatertides.com"]www.saltwatertides.com[/url]

Very reliable. I guess this guy was fishing low tide in a tube and after like 20 minutes of struggling with the tide he finally quit so he was getting sucked out into the channel then ocean.

Remember to watch the tides, it is also a good idea to have an anchor with you. There are very light anchors you can buy that can dig into mud and sand.

Remember some safety equipment too. Life Vest, Strobe, Whistle,etc

This guy had nothing. His next stop would of been Catalina if the Harbor Patrol didn't stop him [cool]

Just looking out for us floating folks.
[signature]
[cool]Excellent point. Staying too long, when you shouldn't, is just not worth the potential dangers. Any time one plans a trip to the bays and harbors it is a good idea to plan around the tides and flows. If you want to take advantage of them, launch during the incoming tide, float and fish through the slack high tide and then follow the outgoing tide back to your get out spot. Just be sure you are on the right side of the channel as you get near or you will end up like the guy FF witnessed.

I'll bet the guys in the patrol boat had a tough time keeping from laughing. But, then again, they sometimes do not have a sense of humor. Too many of their "situations" turn out bad.
[signature]
Very good points. I ride them in and ride them out. Several hours of fishing in between.

If I had not saw the Harbor Patrol and blown my whistle and alerted them who knows where he would of ended up.

When they brought him back in he was on the back of the HP boat waving with a blanket on.

I yelled to him, " I notified Catalina Sheriffs just in case you got out that far!" [cool]

Plain and simple...Float smartly. If you don't know ask, better safe than chum
[signature]
[cool][font "Arial Narrow"][size 4]Hey TubeDude,[/size][/font]

[font "Arial Narrow"][size 4]Noticed that you changed your "motto" so to speak. Is it a suttle ad for the "Shakespeare" people?[/size][/font][Tongue]
[signature]
[cool]Nope. Just a play on old "Bill Shakespear's" immortal words. "Whether 'tis nobler to sling feathers, or to to pitch a jig, and by reeling catch them."...or something like that.

And, lest we forget the time-honored words of Jiminy Cricket..."When you wish upon a star...makes no difference who you are. It never works."

I do have a little micro spinning real made by Shakesspeare that is a ton of fun with light line and a whippy little rod.
[signature]
[cool][font "Arial Narrow"][size 4]Hey TubeDude,[/size][/font]

[size 4][font "Arial Narrow"]Now you are making me relive history. Here is a Shakespeare "True Blue Level Winding # 1956 Model HF "reel. Production date 8/16/1934 to 8/1/1935. This was my first real reel that my dad gave me (used) during WWll. Prior to that time my gear was a bamboo pole with a piece of string and a bent pin. Bate was either worms or dough balls. Sorry nobody ever told me that we didn't have much money - BUT WE HAD FUN!![/font][/size]

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage3004336.jpg]
[signature]
[cool]And that brings back memories for me. My first fishing gear was an old steel telescope pole, with a single action baitcaster that was not much more than line storage. Worked fine for trudging along the creeks in Idaho and derricking out the little wild trout.

I also used it by laying the rod on the ground and feeding line back into the culverts where Willow Creek ran under the roads near my house in Idaho Falls. I floated a grasshopper back in there until I heard a splash. Then, I counted to ten and handlined the trout out. Many of them were well over two pounds. Like you say, not high dollar, but I probably caught more fish...and more big fish...on that makeshift tackle than a lot of the Abercrombie and Fitch crowd.

By, the way, the administrators on the board prefer the images to be no more than 400 pixels wide. I edited your great pics down to fit the format. I didn't dare touch those gators though. Didn't want them to take a bite out of my hard drive.
[signature]
[cool][font "Arial Narrow"][size 4]Hey Tubedude,[/size][/font]

[font "Arial Narrow"][size 4]Thanks for the edit job. Once I installed the picture I realized that they were way to big. Didn't know that I could reedit them once the goof [crazy]was made.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[size 2]Yeah when I saw the pic I had to scoot back away from the computer to take it all in! [Wink][/size]
[signature]