Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1" plastic grub on what sized jig head?
I have some lil'plastic 1" grubs that have worked when I use an egg hook and slip bobber setup. But, when I placed this 1" grub on a 1/16 jig head - it seemed a little small. A 2" grub seemed to be a much better fit?

Am I on the right track here my fishing forum experts?
Any input is welcome.
[signature]
with jigheads there is a trick,

they are measured two ways,

by weight and by hook size.

when you see measurements like 1/6th that is a weight measurment.

when you see measurments like 1/0 or 0/4 or # 2, that is a hook size measurment. Hook sizes start like #24 - #0, 24 being the smallest and 0 being the larger, but not largest because the measurement goes bigger, they start going by inch or 1/0 and bigger.

the weight measurment is ment to use with your rod and reel combo and has to deal with casting.

the size of the hook measurment has to deal with the presentation you are offering. This includes soft plastics and live bait.

you want to match the bait or plastic to the proper size hook, As you know by now that a 1/16 ounce jig head is a bit small for a one inch soft plastic.

To answer your question, you will want a jig with a hook size at least a #4 or larger, If your fishing for bass you will want at least a #2.

I am going to refer you to one of our other boards where you will get greater assistance from one of our resident Jig guru's

ask the same question on that board and you will get every thing you need to know.

[url "gforum.cgi?forum=6"][#314fb1]Fishing Tackle Tips[/#314fb1][/url]
Lures, Baits, Jigs, Hooks, Lines, Reels, Clothes, and all other tackle..
[signature]
I can tell now that it is the hook size since the grub doesn't cover the entire shank of the hook and it prevents the grub from producing 100% of it's potential action. Thanks for the brainstorming. You helped me clear this up.
[signature]
Jamminjigs has great deals on jigheads with #12,#10,#8, and #6 hooks. I bought a large handful of these in the above listed combinations for panfish and trout using plastic; teeny tails, micro craws, micro nymph, and micro shads.
[signature]
thats the way to do it.. [cool]
[signature]