Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
12/20 The bitter sweet of Scofield
I took my 4 year old son for his first ice trip on Monday, this was my last day off from a six week paternity leave and I wanted to go out with a bang. So we decided to brave the roads and go some where he could catch a lot of fish. Armed with fishing gear,tent, heater, and portable DVD player(just in case) we left at 6:45 a.m.. The roads were bad, they closed hwy 6 four miles before the turn off. We got to the lake at 11:00, this is normally a 1:45 drive for me from SLC. While parking I got stuck ( 4x4 Tacoma w/ rear differential lock ) and I want to thank the gentleman that quickly stopped on his way home from work and helped me out.

Once down to the lake the slush monster reared it terrible head, neck, shoulders, and so on. There was 5+ inches for slush and four more of snow. I was pulling my boy on the sled and I stepped into a 10" auger hole the snow was hiding, mid thighed it. Remarkably I didn't get wet. ( really good boots snow gear and gators) We set up camp, once inside we fished out of my ice sled and stayed warm and dry. We cleared the slush between the holes. The water was deep enough that when we released the fish we would watch them swim around the ice tent a while before I shoved them down the hole.

The great news is that my boy had a ball, we caught the dinkfest I hope for, and my wife was happy to have us out of the house.

Technical Stuff: fished 18' of water, and glow pimple and ratso worked great. I have fished Scofield the last three weeks and wax worms have out fished any other bait. White plastics have also worked.
[signature]
lol well thats why i have been staying away from Scofield the last while.. way to much slush.. but i dont think it's going to be any better any where right now.. heavy snow on the ice with warm temp's makes for a slushy, sticky, wet day.. throw in a cold wind and forget it.. been there [sly]..
[signature]
How did you manage a 6 week paternity leave from work? I need to switch jobs and start having more kids. Someone give me the math real quick so I can plan it right around hunting season.
[signature]
For what could have been a real bad day sounds like a day for the memory book with your son. Hope our trip Friday skips getting stuck and stepping in a hole though.
[signature]
Hey maybe I'll see ya up there! Probably will be fishing the boat ramp in the dam arm. If you see a few guys in some frabil ice shantys stop by and say hi!
[signature]
Perchski,
I work for the state and I never call out sick. Sick dependent is a beautiful phrase, I had enough hours to stay out eight weeks but the boss put the kibosch on it. It worked out for both duck hunting and ice fishing, the weather had other plans. Freezing hard early = bad duck hunting, thawing quickly = bad duck hunting and 2 places to ice fish. Big Bummer, but loved spending time w/ the fam.

You need to knock up your lady next month for the deer/ elk hunt.

Will you guys post on the ice. I want to go back for more on Monday, but I don't want to fight the slush again.
Thanks
[signature]
Fished the Scofield pond last Friday with my 10 year old son. Very cold morning -8. Fished the cabins just past the dam. Started fishing at 8:05 left about 10:45 fishing was good. Caught 18 in 2 plus hours.. No keepers. All cuts except 3 bows all 10-13 inches. No tigers. Was hoping to land a few nice Tigers. I understand it has been real slushy now. Took crawlers, waxy's an mealys. Fised in 14 feet of water. Ratfinkies, tube jigs and paddlebugs. Hitting very light.
[signature]
That's awesome, the State guys always get good benefits. I have worked for the same company for 11 years and only get 3 weeks vacation a year, no sick days, no personal days. Too bad the hunting days didn't work out for you better. I will definitely try and work on it for next month[Wink]. Good luck fishing!
[signature]