Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek and Rockport ice update.
Fished a bit at DC on 12-28 did not catch anything. noted some unsafe looking ice at the north most end of the lake nearing the mouth of the river inlet at the bridge, the rest of the lake that I saw was open water. couple boats out fishing and plenty of steam rising off the water in the cold air, I think that water is still up around 40 by how much steam was coming up.

Decided to make a trip out of it and drive past Rockport on my way back to SLC, Jordanelle seemd to have ice around the edges and the rockcliff arm looked capped, but none of it looked fishable or walkable. had that crusty over the top of a puddle look to it. I would not trust it.

Headed on up to RP, came in by way of Peoa and noticed lots of ice at the south end of the lake where the river flows in. good sign, but alas, as I rounded the corner past the entrance to the state park, the ice stopped. what a look, there were puddles on the ice, holes in it, and some that looked like it could be walked on IF you could get past the junky stuff surrounding it, but the ice was protuding into the lake almost all the way down to road where the landfill signs are at before it started to get to not looking like ice trying to form. past that its wide open water all the way to the dam, not even crust on the edges of the dam. you could launch a boat there and get right up to that ice though, I bet the perch and trout are up in there just waiting.

glad I didnt take today off to go explore... it was cold enough yesterday.

all in all, I would say another week or two and rock port may have some ice that is fishable, deer creek probably not till February, and the Nelle may be ready for some rockcliff action by this weekend or next.

tight lines.
Nice, thorough report. Anxious to hear more of the same after this wkend's freeze. Either this storm is late, or it's gonna be a bust like the one last month.
[signature]