Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1/1/11 Striper Bank Report
Its usually a new years party at my house every weekend so the previous nights activities didn't really hinder my desire to go fishing Smile.

Arrived at "the hole" bout 7am temp was 27F no wind at all. I hiked down to the usual secluded spot. Made my way through a shallow valley with heavy brush bout 30 yds out I see a yote run away with some kind of bird in his mouth really got my heart pumping.

All I used for the day was nightcrawlers on the bottom for the cats and a BIG 1/2 Wht bucktail jig for the stripers. Action was fast from the get go I was casting the jig around for a few mins then I see my bait rod almost fly out of the holder I run over and land a nice cat.

I start working the jig and I hook up with 3 nice 18" stripers almost every other cast. You know what happens next a sm boat out in distance musta seen me jumping and hollering in exictment and moves in for the kill bout 15-20 yds from me standing on shore jeez.

Well I end up hooking into another four 15" to 21" stripers then I finally see them pull in a few of the same size I was getting. They feel satisfied and take off setting off a tsunami wake thanks guys. Action was still pretty good landing 2 more of the same avg size and one more cat on the bait rod.

Took off at 11am man that was a hell of a hike back up the hill the big stringer didn't help. Harvested five 20" stripers and two fat cats. I also left the wimpy UL 4# at home it was all MD HVY 12#. Great way to start a new year questions or comments welcome. HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone yee haw.
[signature]
Nice catch man!!!
[signature]
Way to start the year, 4pound! Happy new year. A nice haul indeed.
How long were the shad you saw in their bellies?
[signature]
Nice Catch 4lb. Startin off the year right. I gotta get my but out there soon.
[signature]
Thanks guys [cool] I really didn't expect to get into any fast action that day. But one thing I did learn that day is be prepared.

It seemed like the stripers came in waves. Action was fast but kinda stop n go. I missed a few by setting the hook the first lilttle line tick I felt. One or two nips then they inhale the whole lure no need for hard hooksets.

Didn't see any monster gizzard shad or troutskis in the stripers gut. But I did find threadfin shad ranging from 2-4 inches in all of em. They were stuffed full of em some fresh some decomposed. The cats were a different story they had old decomposing shrimp along with some mud in their gut.
[signature]
Way to go on a cold day! Funny how fish make you that much warmer on a day like that.
[signature]
daaaanggg!!! looks like u got er done that day 4pound!!!! way to go my fellow bankie. happy new year to u!!! looks like it could be a good year indeed. i'm still stuck at home with a unlicensed suv. i haven't been to the lake since october when i got stuck. good to see ya back at it at "the hole".
[signature]
I'm envious of your success, 4lb! I went out on Lake Mead the day after Christmas and I couldn't find a fish or even a nibble on the line to save my life. Of course it was my first time fishing Lake Mead and I have no idea where to find fish there. Maybe you and I should go fishing sometime if you wouldn't mind imparting some knowledge to a new angler like myself.
[signature]
Thanks whizzle & syn [cool]

Sbehnke - Dont worry brother its all yours for the taking anybody who holds a NV fishing license can get into the same action I did. It took me months of trial & error to pick up on seasonal patterns. Just put in the time brother.

Every angler must also know you cant win em all. You must always mentally prepare yourself to catch fish believe in yourself. Every time your skunked make it a learning experience and try new things next time.

Check your PMs Sbehnke[fishin]
[signature]