Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snakeheads = superfish
I caught a snakehead fish while fishing a river in Vietnam. Here it's a highly sought after fish whereas in the US it's an invasive species. I now understand why they can be a nuisance as they are really hard to kill. Brought it home to be gutted and fileyed. I took a wooden mallet to it's head and started gutting it and it started jumping around even after I pulled out its innards. I hit it again and cut the front portion of it's head off where the mouth is and it started jumping around again. These things are still alive after being crushed in the head (twice!), without it's internal organs and half a head! If you catch one in the US the rule is you must kill it. I think the only way to kill it is to decapitate it as hitting it in the head will only stun it. Crazy stuff!
[signature]
[quote tamdoankc]I caught a snakehead fish while fishing a river in Vietnam. Here it's a highly sought after fish whereas in the US it's an invasive species. I now understand why they can be a nuisance as they are really hard to kill. Brought it home to be gutted and fileyed. I took a wooden mallet to it's head and started gutting it and it started jumping around even after I pulled out its innards. I hit it again and cut the front portion of it's head off where the mouth is and it started jumping around again. These things are still alive after being crushed in the head (twice!), without it's internal organs and half a head! If you catch one in the US the rule is you must kill it. I think the only way to kill it is to decapitate it as hitting it in the head will only stun it. Crazy stuff![/quote]

Can you post a picture of it? This makes me think about a new show on TV (maybe on discovery?) about a guy that goes fishing for "river monsters" or something. Anyway, thanks for the detailed description of how to kill it. Smile Very interesting and entertaining post!
[signature]
TheBigWorm, Some guys beat you to it.

http://animal.discovery.com/tv/river-monsters/

and

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/se...7/Overview

Now days they just show re-runs though. I haven't seen a new episode in a while.
[signature]
Yea snakeheads will eat everything they can get, they breathe air so the can live in the merkiest water, and they guard their young till the are old enough to fend for themselves so the multiply rapidly, they are a problem in the Florida canals.
[signature]