Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stuart Inshore Report: 08-28-03
Snook season is getting ready to open on September 1!! The negative on this is that water releases continue from Lake Okeechobee, turning the Inlet area into an unfavorable sight on outgoing tide. The positive is that snook and tarpon don’t seem to mind the conditions, but all other species are suffering. Water Management increased volume releases early this week anticipating heavy rains from incoming tropical waves. Right now the gates are open, releasing 18,701 gallons per second into the estuary. After 6 days of heavy releases the Lake did not drop, but gained 3 inches!!! Hopefully, we will get through this week with minimal damage. The overall picture is not good. We are approaching the height of hurricane season, so the next three weeks will be CRITICAL.

The trips I have run south recently consisted of using Sabiki rigs to catch live baits outside the Inlet (greenies, sardines) and then drift fishing about 2-1/2 miles offshore, which I can do with very calm seas. The action has been steady with barracuda, kingfish and bonita providing some excellent rod-bending hook-ups. I can run these “nearshore” trips only when the seas are down and less than 4 anglers fishing. Live baiting, we use 20-lb. test on Penn 750 spinning reels. Most of the bonita are running around 10-15 lbs. The kingfish we’ve been hooking into have been in the 8-20 lb. range. After an hour or so, we normally head back to the Inlet to play with snook, tarpon, jacks, snapper and whatever else takes a liking to the bait offered. On some trips, my clients request staying inshore and still find the fishing exciting. For instance we hit into some large jacks and several snapper. We also managed to jump several tarpon, with two monsters in the 150 lb. range, putting a couple of anglers in shock. Last week we released a few 20-lb. snook After one or two snook, I prefer to leave the spawning snook alone and try something else. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, “hammering the spawning snook is insane”. Catch a few and leave them alone. The “open” snook season is just around the corner.

The majority of my trips have been north of the Jensen Causeway on the Indian River. The water near the power lines still has a greenish tint (coming from the Ft. Pierce Inlet). When the water condition drop, you need to either find clean water or fish deep. Trout action remains good in that area on both sides until about 10 a.m., using live shrimp or DOA soft rubber baits. The largest trout (over 5 pounds) hit topwater plugs and early. Last week, Catch 22 anglers boated two trout over 5 pounds that were released. We spotted a few redfish north of the powerlines, but they just weren’t interested in what was offered.

Channel markers have not been the normal producers (which may relate to the water quality issue) but a few flounder and tripletail can still be found. Area bridges continue to hold black drum and mangrove snapper, but look for reduced action around the Roosevelt and Crary Bridges due to the releases.

Remember snook season opens September 1 (which also happens to be a holiday) and many people will be on the water (not just anglers). Be courteous and respectful (even if some aren’t) and be safe! Tight lines everyone!

Capt. Bob Bushholz

http://www.catch22fish.com

(772) 225-6436