Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anchor info for tubers
There are so many different anchors out there to choose from that it can be easy to make the wrong choice. Some tuber's do not use anchors at all but I always recommend them.

[Image: 157160094.jpg]

This one is more for small boat's that tube's or pontoon's and I do not recommend.

[Image: 159190024.jpg]

I personally like this one because I fish bays and near beaches,etc in sand and mud. This anchor only weighs like 5 pounds but still digs in well.

[Image: 157990011.jpg]

This one weighs from 3-5 pounds and folds. My problem with this is if the tide is light and this is dragging in sand or mud it might not dig in. I have not used this one.

[Image: 156780462.jpg]

My friend uses this one and says it works good in almost any bottom conditions.

[Image: 156790123.jpg]

And of course the " Mushroom " anchor. My personal experience is this only works on calm lakes. In the ocean it will not dig in and slides. I do not recommend this for ocean fishing.

Anyway all of the above anchors are avaliabe through [url "http://www.boatersworld.com"]www.boatersworld.com[/url]
I hope this helps the new tubers and maybe some of the existing tubers [cool]
[signature]
[cool]I have never been a big fan of anchors. Too much weight, on top of all the other gear I typically carry long distances to the water. And, in extreme current conditions, they can pull the edge of your tube under water. However, whenever the hiking distance is not a factor, and the currents are more of a nuisance than a real hazard, anchors can definitely save some leg power and make it easier to fish downcurrent pockets and structure.

I have floated down some good sized rivers, like the Sacramento and American in California. I tended to get more use out of tieing off on bridge structure and using brush clips on tree branches than I did with anchors.

If you are fishing where there is the potential for hooking a large fish, that can run a long ways, you may wish to rig your anchor with a float on the end of the line. Then, if a biggun takes off, you can toss over the float and follow the fish without having to try to get the anchor in with one hand while fighting the fish with the other.

As fishfather points out, if you are going to use an anchor, it should fit the type of bottom and fishing conditions you are likely to encounter. The light rounded mushroom anchor is pretty much useless in a brisk current over smooth bottom. On the other hand, an overly aggressive anchor, with long points, may get irretrievably stuck in rough rocks and you could end up cutting the rope and sacrificing it. Happens to boaters all the time. I know, because I have seen lots of lost anchors while diving in rocky areas.

Nice post, fishfather. Good pics.
[signature]
I started tubing on lakes years ago and agree I never really needed or wanted an anchor. But what I hated when I started tubing in the ocean is when I found a spot where the fish were hitting and could stay put because the tide pushed me away! [unsure]

It's really a user preference and alot of trial and error. I have an 18' Sea Ray 180 and I lost my anchor in the rocks awhile back so I know exactley what you mean [cool]

That image of that tuber being sucked out to sea awhile back still bothers me. It was really gusting and conditions outside bay were ruff. He had no anchor and obviously didn't pay attention to the tides so he could of ended up in real trouble.

Oh well. Life goes on [pirate]
[signature]
[cool]An anchor kinda falls into the same category as rain gear. It is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

I haven't fished the bays for a long time, but I think that if I knew there was the potential of some tidal flow...either way...I might want to have something handy to slow me down or hold me in position. Like you say, it is not just for the safety thing, but it can save a lot of "dude power" if you want to hang around and work a spot over, without having to maintain that constant kick.
[signature]
Yep. Usually when the halibut hit they tend to hang in groups so you want to stop and fish that area. Hard to do on an incoming tide [shocked]
[signature]
HMMMM , IF YOU WERE SNAGGED ON THE BOTTOM , ROCKS CABLE , WHATEVER , SWELLS OR A RIP TIDE OR STRONG CURRENT WOULD PROBBABLY BE A PROBLEM .

O.K. OUR MR. EDISON OF THE TUBING WORLD ( THAT IS MENT OUT OF RESPECT [cool] ) HOW ABOUT ADAPTING ONE OF THOES HANGING EXTENTION CORD/LIGHT REELS , THE AUTOMATIC ONES , SPRING LOADED , INSIDE A BOUY (1). TO THE ANCHOR LINE . KEEP YOU FROM GETTING PULLED UNDER DURING A BIG SWELL , AND ANOTHER THING A ANCHOR BREAK AWAY RATED FOR THE BOUNECY OF THE CRAFT (2) .

ATTACH IT TO YOUR TUBE WITH A ROAP CLIMBERS QUICK RELEASE RING . AND YOU CAN COME BACK FOR IT LATER .

THE AUTO ANCHOR LINE WOULD COMPINSATE FOR THE SWELLS AND KEEP YOU FROM BEING JERKED AROUND .

I KNOW YOUR THE GUY THAT COULD INVENT AND FINE TUNE SOMETHING LIKE THIS [Wink]. MAKE YOURSELF A COUPLE OF BUCKS WITH A PATENT TOO !

SEE THE CRUDE DRAWING
[signature]
[cool]You're right. Crude drawing...but good concept. However, the bottom line is that we are trying to come up with something to save idiots from themselves. Anybody dumb enough to put themselves in that kind of risk situation should pay the price...and get flushed down the whirlpool of the gene pool.

All of us sane and sober tubers know better than to toss over an anchor when there are twenty foot swells rolling by. My mother's son will be sitting in front of the TV with suitable refreshment when there is that kind of water.

Did I say "sane and sober". Whoops. False premise.
[signature]
yea , i thought the anchor thing was a little strange it didn't seem like a safe thing being teathered to the bottom and making yourself a bobber . one freak wave and your sucking in water with no way out .

thanks again big guy !
[signature]
My anchor set-up has a quick release so if I got into trouble I could simply release the line and get another one [Wink]

But common sense plays a big roll. Float tubes were not designed to be out in the open ocean. You are at risk by doing this.

They were developed primarly for streams, rivers and lakes for hunters and fishermen.

Then of course people said well it floats, let's stick it in the ocean! If you stay in bays and harbors, etc you will more than likely be okay.

But I have seen people out past the pier in 30' of water. I have also even seen someone launch of his boat near the breakwall in 50-70' of water. That's inviting trouble! [shocked]

Be aware of where your fishing and ground conditions. Fish finders will let you know if the bottom is sandy, rocky, mixed. Or get a sea floor map.

Basically use good judement
[signature]
COOL FISHFATHER ! I CAN SEE THAT YOU DO YOUR STUDYING FIRST AND KNOW THE RISKS INVOLVED . [Wink]
[signature]
[cool][font "Arial Narrow"][size 4]Hey fishfather,[/size][/font]

[font "Arial Narrow"][size 4]If you want a good cheap anchor, get a hold of a net bag [the type women use to place their delicates] that is placed in a washing machine. Also needed is a good length of rope. Prior to launching your tube place a number of rocks in the bag. Once you reached your destination drop the bag. The rocks can be dumped into the water prior to heading for shore.[/size][/font]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=602;]
[signature]
How about the old traditional float tube anchor? Nylon bag, length of rope, and a few fist sized rocks you pick up off the shore. Works great and very light, until the rocks are placed in of course.
[signature]
Rock would not work where I fish. The bottom is sandy and slick and unless you put like 15lbs of rocks you would drift away.

This is ideal:

[url "javascriptConfusedhowEnhanced();"][Image: p670985reg.jpg][/url]

Entire picture shown weighs 4lbs. It works in windy conditions, low or high tide, and works great in sandy or muddy area's where it's hard to get anchorage.

For the tuber it's ideal. Runs around $35. I have used this for years in sand, mud, rocks, you name it. Never had one issue[Wink]

I highly recommend it for tubers. Anchor folds up and everythng can be stored in little black bag.
[signature]
Hi there lonehunter, i was cruising through the posts and saw your so called crude drawing. It gave me a good laugh seeing those feet dangling from the tube but you got the point accross in your drawing.
[signature]
you reccommend the five pound anchor with the hooks all the way around, Where can I get one?
[signature]
Boatersworld in LB, West Marine in LB, Sportmart ( Online ordering only )
[signature]
YEA AS LONG AS IT'S SOMETHING YOUR COMFORTABLE WITH . I THINK OF THE GREAT LAKES INSTEAD OF REGULAR LAKES , JUST AN OLD HABBIT I GUESS . THE WAVES GET PRETTY BIG OUT THERE . I'DE BE RELUCTANT TO USE ONE IN A RIVER THOU . I'VE SEEN CANOES AND KIACKS FLIPPED OVER AN STUCK IN BRUSH PILES , YA CAN'T FIGHT THE CURRENT , IT WOULD BE LIKE TRING TO FIGHT A FEW HUNDRED FIRE HOSES , YA JUST CAN'T WIN .

I HAVE A SCANNER NOW , NO MORE DRAWING WITH THE MOUSE [Wink] .
[signature]
[cool]I use the third one you show. I picked up a toiletry bag at the local store and a spool that had rope on it or something (now empty) from the Anderson Lumber when it was around. They were going to throw it away and they were happy to give it to me. That has the 100' of rope on it so as to keep it from getting all tangled. Then I used a pully system that I attached to the frame and used a clothes line tightener to keep it from putting too much line out. Works great, I have used it on strawberry reservoir in the wind and it holds great.
[signature]
Hi there,

I still like my large-mouthed detergent bottle with sand or gravel and water. Initially had all sorts of problems getting it to sink right. ha ha ha I just fill the bottle 1/2 to 3/4 full and then bring the water up to the very top. The secret is to fill it so as to eliminate any air by putting the big cap on underwater.

I used to carry two 3-pound rock cod weights in my jeep to start but found I didn't usually need them most of the time.

As I fish a lot of pretty shallow areas with tides not directly effected by open ocean, I use the strongest (65 pound rated) doggie walk retractable leash to easily adjust to the tide.

JapanRon
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I use large chain. About four strands of four to six links. Hook them on a big carabiner (can add to it or take away) and I roll my rope on an extention cord plastic holder. Put it in a plastic ammo box behind my seat on my SFC. It doesn't get stuck in the weeds and is great for slowing you down on rivers.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]