Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Tubes at this New Lake !!!

Sad news for Southern Cal Float Tubers,

The premier new entry this year, Diamond Valley Lake, into the lake fishing scene here in Southern California is going to be off limits to float tubers, sit-on-top kayaks and Sadly pontoon boats (sorry 'bout that fishfather). No body contact.

Good news is not having to deal with the idiots on jet-skis. Notice I didn't say jet-skis just people who magically display idiotic behavior when climbing on one. Ever seen a jet-ski just leasurely putt putting along the shore, in a straight line, enjoying the scenery and exploring the coves and beaches! HA!

The Metropolitian Water District even wanted to only allow people in boats to fish the lake....! ya no shore fishing was their goal. These guys are the people who steal water too! What would you expect!

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool] Hey JR,

Where abouts is this lake?? What is stocked in it? and are there fees for fishermen to use it???[Smile]
[signature]
I am checking into that further. If you are wearing waders or out of the water on a pontoon like mine I do not see what the problem is. SARL, Corona Lake and several other permit it as long as your in waders.

Here is the link:
[url "http://www.oldtemecula.com/lakes/reservoir.html"]http://www.oldtemecula.com/lakes/reservoir.html[/url]

If you want to complain or get further info about tubes, pontoons, etc
[url "mailto:lpoggenphol@mwdh2o.com"]lpoggenphol@mwdh2o.com[/url]
[signature]

Hey there fishfather,

Sites with lots of info on the lake besides the Diamond Valley Lake home site (www.dvlake.com) under the Metropolitan Water District network. A local newspaper site is www.pe.com (press-enterprise newspaper) for good newspaper articles on the lake and www.mwdh2o.com (Metropolitan Water District) for the man's view. The many newspaper articles are quite detailed on the info we don't want to accept. ha ha

The best site is the DVL website itself www.dvlake.com. They have a panorama view of the length of the lake from their scanning cam!! Nice survallence system huh?! ha ha

JapanRon
[signature]
This is a quote from some local paper because people have already challenged the no body conact rule:

" Metropolitan understands the importance of providing a complete recreational experience. That’s why Metropolitan has a commitment to develop swimming lakes outside the east dam—in conjunction with other forms of recreation in that area—that will be open for body contact and not used for storage of drinking water. The result will be a sportsman’s paradise—with fishing and boating on Diamond Valley Lake and swimming and other sports on the adjacent lakes—that melds recreational opportunities with environmental responsibility "

They allow powerboats but no float tubers in waders. Makes alot of sense [mad]
[signature]

Hey there tubeN2,

I've got three internet addresses you can access via your little ol' search engine. Diamond Valley Lake official home website www.dvlake.com, Press-Enterprise newspaper articles www.pe.com on DVL, and the Metropolitan Water Department access site at www.mwdh2o.com. You'll most of your questions answered by past articles in the newspaper.

Driving directions are at the lake's official website as well as all kinds of other info.

JapanRon
[signature]

Hey fishfather,

I liked the little icon at the end! ha ha As they say, 'develop lakes outside the East Dam (ie Diamond Vally Lake)' and 'with swimming and boating on adjacent lakes' I put an Angry red faced one on my post. no tubes boo hoo

Like the fees?
$7 entrance
$6 launch
$3 fish
$200 gas to get there!!! ha ha ha

JapanRon
[signature]
I understand they offer no interest loans to fish there [cool]

The best thing the tube community could do is not fish there at all. I tube, I am not going to fish off the shore when I can go find the fish [Wink]

I would further encourage our community to write or e-mail your feelings on this issue to the powers that be.
[signature]
Fishing bag limits

Limits on the size and number of fish each person can catch at Diamond Valley Lake is set by the California Department of Fish and Game. For a complete list of their regulations, [url "http://www.dfg.ca.gov/"][#800080]click here[/#800080][/url]

Black Bass Limit 5, minimum size 12 inches
Sunfish (i.e. bluegill and red ear) no limits
Catfish Limit 10, no size limit
Striped Bass Limit 10, no size limit
Trout Limit 5, no size limit
[ol] [li]No swimming, personal watercraft, water skiing, float tubes or body contact of any kind is allowed.

[li]Alcohol is not permitted on boats or marinas at Diamond Valley Lake or Lake Skinner.

[li]Boats powered by humans, sail or electric motors are allowed on the lakes.

[li]Boats with four-stroke or direct fuel injection two-stroke combustion engines are allowed, as are two-stroke engines that comply with the California Air Resources Control Board 2001 or later model year spark-ignition marine engine standard (or U.S. Environmental Protection Agency 2006 equivalent). This rule will be strictly enforced and any questions regarding your engine compliance should be resolved prior to entrance into the park.

[li]Traditional carbureted two-stroke engines are not allowed.

[li]Only gasoline free of the additive MTBE is allowed on either lake. Boats containing MTBEladen gas will be turned away. Refueling is prohibited, except in designated areas.

[li]Boats equipped with sink drains or flush toilets are barred unless the drains and toilets are sealed, inoperable, or are designed so that no waste can be discharged into the lakes.

[li]Boats must be at least 12 feet long, 42 inches wide, and have 12 inches of freeboard at idle speed. Multi-hulled boats must have solid and fixed decking. Engine noise must not exceed 75 decibels at a distance of 50 feet with the engine running at 80 percent of redline RPM. All engines must be unmodified, standard equipment.

[li]Touring and recreation style kayaks, at least 10 feet long with seating for all passengers inside the boat, are allowed. No sit-on-top kayaks are allowed.

[li]All boats must carry approved life jackets for each person aboard. Type B fire extinguishers are required on boats where a fire hazard could be expected from the motors or the fuel system.

[li]Boat launching and landing is allowed only at designated docks and ramps.

[li]The lakes open at sunrise and close at sunset. Marina areas are closed one hour after sunset. There is no boat storage at Diamond Valley Lake.

[li]Metropolitan can close either lake to boating at any time and the number of boats allowed on the lake will be determined by lake elevation, public safety considerations and water quality concerns.

[li]The speed limit for all watercraft on Diamond Valley Lake is 25 mph. The maximum speed for boats within 200 feet of the shore, dams, other operational structures and in marina areas is 5 mph.

[li]The speed limit for all watercraft on Lake Skinner is 10 mph; the maximum speed for
boats within 100 feet of the shore, dams, other operational structures and in marina
areas is 5 mph.

[li]Pets are not allowed on boats on either lake unless you pet is a fish.[/li][/ol]

17. Fisherman using lake must shower and shave and wear a bow tie while fishing.

18. Fisherman are not allowed to touch the water at anytime. That means neither your feet or hands can touch, you will have to drag fish up on shore. All though the fish was in water you cannot rinse fish off. You will need to go to the bathroom to rinse fish off.

19. Fisherman using live bait will need to have it inspected to ensure the bait has not been compromised in anyway or held against it's will.

20. Fisherman will always yield to local wildlife, in the event a duck lands in front of your pole and you get a fish you will allow the duck to eat it and when he is done you can reel in.

21. Any fisherman that is found to be having to good a time will report to rangers station to be whiped with a fishing pole until you stop smiling.

22. In the event you do catch a fish the fish must be immediatley brought to some nerd so he can measure and ensure it is of proper length and doesn't mind being eaten, the nerd will mind meld with the fish to check this.

From 17 down were jokes. I hope everyone figured that out. My point is if there are that many rules how much fun is it going to be?

Think I will stick to the ocean [Smile]
[signature]

Hi fishfather,

Great info and even better sense of humor! Please don't give them too many ideas. #17 reminds me of a series of pictures of anglers around the old Long Beach pier and sportfishing landings from the 1890's to the 30's where women in full dress w/bussles and giant hats posed with their yellowtail. The gent from the thirtys wore a jacket with vest, button down shirt, bowtie and one of those squashed hats guys in little sports cars like to wear. Oh ya and he was standing against the rail of a party boat and had a pipe and very serious look on his face.

Thanks for the hearty laugh on 17 to 22.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool]You have a warped sense of humor. You fit in well.

Some of the real regulations are as nonsensical as your Tongue in cheek ones.

It appears they DO take themselves very seriously.
[signature]
I don't understand the goal of prohibiting float tubes.
[signature]
[cool]Several lakes, in California and other states, are restrictive of anything that could create a potential source of pollution. Most such lakes are the primary water supply for municipalities and the cities could be affected if the lakes were found to have unsafe levels of chemicals or bacteria.

We all know what float tubers do in the water, when they have to...and can get away with it. But that is not the only concern. They usually do not even allow swimming in those lakes, to prevent the dispersal of skin-borne bacteria and other contaminants. Similarly, they do not allow fish cleaning or even the use of fish parts as bait in some of these lakes.

Aside from that, there is just a whole lot of over-regulation and foolishness that is discriminatory against us tubin' types. At least it seems that way.

One of my "head-shaking" encounters with such occured in the early 80's in Colorado. Float tubes were still a "novelty" on many waters. I pulled up to the entrance gate of a popular fishing pond north of Denver and went to pay my entry fee. The ranger noticed my float tube in the back of my station wagon and asked what it was. When I told him, he explained that I would have to stay inside the swimming area and not get out on the main lake. Oh, and by the way, there was no fishing allowed in the swimming area. No amount of persuasion would convince him that I was a serious fishermen and that float tubes were a recognized fishing system...in the REAL WORLD. So, I did not pay my fee or fish there.
[signature]