Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish caught and used as bait?
New to the Forum.

I vacation in Myrtle Beach each year, some years twice, and I enjoy fishing in the early mornings and later in the evening from the beach. I don't need to catch anything, but it always helps when you do.

Last summer, very late in August, I caught a small fish on a white minnow imitation, maybe a croaker or spot, but not 100% sure at the time. Since I was running out of time to fish from the beach, I didn't really think of it at the time, but could I have used that particular fish for bait...legally? I know there are regulations that some fish are not legally allowed to be used for bait.

This year, I am vacationing at the same time, vary late in August. Last year, I saw a lot of activity about 20-30 yards off the shore line. What species could have been "running" small bait fish at that time of the year? What baits would have possibly worked? I just picked up Berkley Gulp Alive Jerk Shad in white and Sand Minnows in a dark gray color for this coming year. Any suggestions would be helpful!

Thank you for this great outlet and I look forward to hearing from those that share in the excitement of fishing and the outdoors!

Mike
[signature]
I'm not sure what you might have caught on that artificial lure in the surf. There are only so many things it could have been: Bluefish, Spottail bass, whiting, shark, and a couple others. Any of those are fair game to use for bait, except the spottail bass(red drum, redfish) or the shark. The large schools of baitfish you noticed along the surf in large numbers was more than likely mullet. They do not bite lures, and can not be caught on rod and reel; unless you use a snatch hook. Baitfish are best gathered with a castnet.

Fishing from the surf can be a lot of fun. Typically during the time of year you'll be there, you might come accross some redfish, whiting, bluefish, sharks, croakers, and maybe a few other species. You need to use 20 lb tackle or better, and fresh cut bait or fresh shrimp are the best baits. You need to use a rod and reel capable of getting your bait past the breakers, which is where the fish typically feed. Anywhere along the grand strand is good for surf fishing, but I'm partial to the areas along huntington beach state park. The currents seem to be stronger, but the fishing seems to be better. Also from Huntington State Park, you can walk to the jetties. Make sure you have a big wheeled beach cart, because it's about a mile and a half walk. Takes me about 20 minutes at a medium pace. Well worth it though. You can really catch a lot of fish along the rocks. Sheepshead, trout, redfish, black drum, blue fish, spanish mackerel, etc..... The key out there is live minnows, either mullet or mud minnows. Fresh shrimp also works very well. Just a heads up, but you can rent john boats in murrells inlet pretty cheap, which will get you to the rocks just fine. I know the marina right there has skiffs and pontoon boats for rent as well. The pontoon will probably provide the most comfortable fishing.

Fresh and live bait can be purchased year around at the local tackle shops. It's not expensive, and is really the key to success.

In regards to the regs, I recommend you get a SC DNR reg book and look it over. They are free at any tackle store or pier. Anything considered as a game fish in this state can not be used as bait. The most common baitfish are pinfish, mullet, menhaden, mudminnows, shrimp, ballyhoo, bluefish, and spots. They can be used live, or freshly cut up, depending on the size of your gear and what you are targeting.

When you're in town, look me up. I'll get you on the right path.
[signature]