Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smallmouth Bass
[cool][size 1] Hey everyone, I am looking for some of your favorite methods for catching smallies. My son and I have become addicted to catching and lots of releasing of smallies but sometimes you get the finicky one that one take even the best presentation that you have to offer. I would appreciate and comments and suggestions that you can offer. Thank You.[sly] [/size]
[signature]
Hey there tubeN2,

Smallies?, Smallies? Near the LA area? Central and Northern California sure but..... Southern Cal! Where?, where? huh huh.

Seriously, is there a substantial smallmouth fishery nearby LA, outside of Big Bear Lake?

Smallmouths are our friends.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool] I heard about some in Quail Lake. Not so sure I believe it. Other than that I am getting ready to go back to Bishop area and I wanted to take a little more arsenal with me. Some were bitting on worms when I went and others on brown rooster tails. The bigger ones that I kept, usually had two to three small crawdads in their bellies. I just couldn't get them to bite on the crawdads though.
[signature]
Hey TubeN2...

Well, I'm not sure if you're talking about the Quail Lake that's down in southern Utah or if you're talking about a different one maybe somewhere around in southern CA. LoL. But if you're talking about the one in Utah, the California message board probably isn't the best place to ask about catching smallmouths. LoL. Most of the guys on this board are saltwater boys who from the LA area in southern CA. However, you're in luck because I'm one of the only freshwater bass guys on the CA board. LoL. And not only that, if you're talking about Quail Lake in UT...I'm well familiar with the bass in UT! Anyways, that's enough mumbo jumbo, time to answer your question! [cool] Probably my most productive method of catching smallmouth bass is by using a drop-shot rig. You'll catch lots of fish drop-shotting, and some pretty good ones too. I've caught 4lb smallies on the drop-shot. My favorite bait to drop-shot for smallies is a 4" yammamoto cut-tail worm. Besides that though, pretty much any 4" straight tail worm will get the job done. Roboworm also makes some good 4" worms for drop-shotting. If you're looking for some really good quality sizeed smallies, my biggest ones have come by using a jig-n-pig. I prefer to use one of Bass Stalker Jig's finesse models with one of their claw chunk jrs for a trailer. ([url "http://www.bassstalker.com"]www.bassstalker.com[/url]). A texas-rigged hula grub or tube bait has also caught my fair share of good sized bronzebacks. You also can't go wrong using some kind of suspending jerkbait like a Lucky Craft Pointer. If you've got any more specific questions reguarding these methods, just ask me...
[signature]
[cool] Hey there SturgeonKid, thanks for the writeback and thanks for visiting the CA board. Yes I am talking about a Quail Lake that is in So Cal area. Thanks also for the input on the dropshots I will have to give that a try the next time that I am in smally territory.
[signature]
[cool] Hey thanks there hawghunter,

I had plans to try those lakes after I can catch my dream LMB at Castaic before they supposedly close down. I will keep you posted as to the results.
[signature]