Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One less duck on the pond
that right,

today there is one less duck on the pond. I sat at the end of the dock today and watched the ducks as they fead on the weeds. Dipping their heads down and the bottom sides pointed up.

as I watch the seven ducks before me dippin and eating, I saw one dip then go down. I watched and waited for a few minuts to see if he would come back up. I thought maby it may have been a diver mixed in with them mallards.

a couple minutes passed, nothing came up. five minutes passed and still nothing came up. after about 10 minutes I came to the conclusion that he was not going to ever come back up again. my guess is that it was the giant turtle I saw some 25+ years ago. big around as a volkswaggon beatle. the head the size of a basket ball.

that is the only thing that could account for the going down with out as much as a splash on the water. that turtle must have grabbed the ducks head and pulled it streight down.

I have seen pike hit on baby ducks, and for what they are grabbing they sure make a turmoil on the waters surface when they hit the duckling. but today this was a full grown duck.

so insted of counting 7 ducks I counted 6 ducks on the pond for the rest of the day. one less duck on the pond.
[signature]
your area has them big old snappers thats for sure . i renember when i was about 12 or 13 going out on one of thoes lakes over there on a innertube . it was about mid afternoon . (it had a long narrow pathway to the lake , which lale i don't know )

anyways all the sudden this big old snapper with a head as big as a coffee can was right beside me and started bighting the tube . i can only asume that the critter saw the sillioute from the bottom and thought i was another turtle coming into his teritory . well he darn near had the tube half way under when it blew up , i abandoned the craft at his first bite needless to say , it was a long swim back to shore .

i never went back to that lake to swim again .

did you ever try to catch that thing ? maybe use a whole chicken from the store and a tow truck ? snappers like you guys have will need something that big . i wouldn't try to get him from the dock , you probbably would have an experiance like the two fishermen in the "jaws " movie , one less dock too !
[signature]
another mallard did the turtle dance today. diped his head and he was cone just like the other one.

that old tortus must be getting ready for the big sleep. gotta put on some weight for winter.

I am debating getting a boat ancer and tipping it of with a turkey to catch that thing what was alive when president lincolon was in office.

its a good thing that the kids are about done swimming for the year. they get near that weed bed and they will disapear as well.
[signature]
you can get a shark hook from one of our saltwater pals , some carbide steel cable from a builder that replaces garage doors and an old propane tank and go fishing for the beast , as long as your attending the line just like you were fishing you can catch him that way . i'm betting he's a state record for sure . i know that one i saw was as big as that truch innertube i was on , could be the same one .
[signature]
ya I'd need a tow truck just to reel him in[angelic]
[signature]
you could put one of thoes winches from a quad on your bumper , but that would probbably end up like one of thoes truck pulling events at the silverdome !

if you do , send me a ticket for the show , thats one i'de like to see !
[signature]
Hey, when you try to catch this thing, send me a ticket too! That's one show I'd love to see! You could probably use the extra help too!
[signature]
I have no doubt if I hook a wench to the back of my truck I dare say it would pull both me and my truck in to the drink.[shocked]
[signature]
if I ever deside to go after that thing I will definatly give you a call. I will need some one to run the vidio camera.[shocked] to film the catch of the century for sure.

I know this turtle is going to weigh 300 pounds if it weighs an ounce. I think I will name it Gamera.
[signature]
I SAW THIS ARTICAL A WHILE BACK AND POSTED IT IN THE FISH STORIES PAGE UNDER , WHAT ELSE " FISH STORIES" . SEE MONSTERS AND SUCH .

I THINK DAVE'S TURTLE HAS A BIG BROTHER , YA THINK WE CAN TAKE HIM TOO ? LOL !

[size 4]A Large Turtle

[/size][size 1]Scientific American, 48:292,1883.

Captain Augustus G. Hall and the crew of the schooner Annie L. Hall vouch for the following:

On March 30, while on the Grand Bank, in latitude 40 10', longitude 33, they discovered an immense live trunk turtle, which was at first thought to be a vessel bottom up. The schooner passed within twenty-five feet of the monster, and those on board had ample oppurtunity to estimate its dimensions by a comparison with the length of the schooner. The turtle was at least 40 feet long, 30 feet wide, and 30 feet from the apex of the back to the bottom of the under shell. The flippers were 20 feet long. It was not deemed advisable to attempt its capture. [/size]
[signature]
just give me a zebco 202 and a spool of 2 pound test line and I will show you just how to handle that monster,

[center][font "Monotype Corsiva"][size 4]drop it and run!!![/size][/font][/center]
[signature]
LOL. Get your Zebco and let's go for it!

If you ever try to catch that thing, I'd be willing to take off from work to help. Just hope it's not during the busy season and that I've got some money saved up when you decide to!
[signature]
o.k. now were gonna have to rent some heavy equipment like a crane , but what do we use as a bobber ?
[signature]
LMAO X 1000 !!!! NOW THATS FUNNY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
a peta person[sly]

what else has enough air space in a round object to stay a floate when tied to a VW beatle?[laugh]
[signature]
So, still got 5 ducks there?

Or did they get smart and move away?

I've been fighting with ducks since Wednesday. They keep sneaking up behind me and going for my bait! Either that or when I'm reeling in my catch, they try to take it off the hook for me. I had to fight off a seagull too! These ducks keep this up, there will be more than "one less duck".
[signature]
covered in fish gut gravy , lol !
[signature]
I have caught several ducks by hook and line, but never during duck season, I wonder what mr game warden would say to duck fishing?[crazy]
[signature]