Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
get out of a rut.. learn a lot.. :-)
I will be the first to admit that with a lot of things I am in a rut... I have the same routine for most anything I do.. and that includes viewing my on line magazines..

for example.. I subscribe to midcurrent magazine and I usually glance over what is there and then zero in on the fly tying video.. usually done by a guy named Michael Yelton... I like the way this guy ties his flies and presents the how to on video..

as it happened I was actually caught up and decided to check out a few other links.. have to say I am so glad I did...

by clicking on one link I gound out that a new swivel has been developed and marketed that is made of the same basic materials as flurocarbon line.. so its clear.. flexible.. durable.. and since it is clear it takes on the color of the water around it (for the most part) and basically disappears.. although fly fishers dont normally use swivels maybe a clear plastic one say tied at the end of the some tippet and you could easily create a two fly rig...

or.. did anyone but me know that there is at least one company that sells fly reel kits.. ?? either an all in one or one that has the rest of the "parts" and you can mill the sides etc if you are so inclined..

I was amazed... once I got out of the watch the video only rut I learned at least two new things and came up with another thought.. but Ill hold that one till later...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Thanks MacFly for suggesting the Midcurrent site. I have enjoyed exploring it a bit. Some nice podcasts on there as well. I like downloading podcasts for my trips driving to town etc.

Anyway thanks!
[signature]
Like:

http://www.midcurrent.com/index.php/flyf...hing-book/
[signature]
I looked at the reelsmithing book. I wondered if it is any good? Do you have it? Do you know if it covers different types of reels or only the one made from the kit?
[signature]
I have zero info on this kit reel
[signature]
welcome Cindy... I like watching the fly tying videos... now I will be looking more closely at the rest of the items ...

MacFly
[signature]
exactly the article I was referring to.. not only the book but the kits to build your own reel..

MacFly
[signature]
Hi folks, I'm Michael Hackney, author of The Reelsmith's Primer and proprietor of The Eclectic Angler. I thought I would answer some of the questions and provide some clarification here.

Firstly, The Reelsmith's Primer is (by our research) the first and only book written on building reels. It was published last March. The book focuses on building a 3" diameter, 4 weight brass fly reel but the reader will learn many techniques that can be used to build other types of reels. I call it "reelsmithing" because these reels are built, by hand, one at a time with no metal working machinery. I teach how to use traditional hand working tools. The only power tool required is an electric drill. I also have a lot of detail about working with brass and Delrin and where to buy the raw materials used in the book. I do also offer a Materials Package that includes the raw materials you'll need to build a reel. You will have to cut brass sheet in to disks, cut brass and aluminum rod and tap it, etc.

The Reel Kits are designed for the individual who wants to assemble a reel but does not want to cut out parts or tap holes. They can be assembled in about 3 hours. I offer workshops using these kits to teach anglers how to build reels. I am a Scoutmaster for a Boy Scout troop and these kits are also great projects for youth groups and angling clubs.

I'm happy to answer any questions.

Cheers,
Michael
The Eclectic Angler

[#bf0000][size 1]If anyone is interested in Michaels website please pm him... [/size][/#bf0000]
[#bf0000][size 1][/size][/#bf0000]
[#bf0000][size 1]MacFly[/size][/#bf0000]
[signature]
RIGHT ON!!!! Thanks for stopping by!
I really need to save some pennys, and I mean pennys cause your reels are very cost friendly!.

I am building a Bamboo rod and that reel would just look so sweet on it.
Thanks again for stopping by, hope you will stay awhile.

I kind of brought you up on another Fly Fishing Forum and those that have purchase from you give you FIVE STARS and thumbs up.
I first found out about you from Cameron on a Fiberglass site...the name is getting around.
[signature]
Michael,

Thank you for coming by and clarifying the information for us. I have been to your site and find it to be informative and tbh makes me want to buy a kit just to build a reel... but in my case I have too many irons in the fires.. for now anyway.. :-)...

As FG said.. I do hope you drop in to visit often ...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
sis.... you sound a bit excited about that reel.. :-)...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Thanks UtahFlyGoddess and MacFly. I will stick around and check out the forum - looks like some good folks here.

Thanks also for the props. Last year was my first year at all of this and it was very successful. Most of what I am doing for the next couple of years is evangelizing - this all new to most people and I am trying to help lead the way to show that it is very possible to build your own reels that are note only functional but can be works of art.

I am also working on a book on building spinning reels and of course kits for them too.

regards,
Michael
[signature]
it all sounds good to me..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]