Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trolling Battery???
I have a 34 lb. thrust Minn Kota electric that I use for trolling in the Red Leaker (14' aluminum). I have been using the Wal-mart deep cells and only been getting 3-4 hours at best before having to switch to the next battery. It is a pain and cumbersome to have to deal with two big batteries plus the fuel container for the 15 horse outboard that is used to get from place to place. Can anyone recommend a good battery that will last 8 or more hours to lighten the load in the Leaker?

Thanks,
[signature]
I have 2 that I use for the same size motor and boat size as you.

The first came with the motor and lasts about 3-4 hours with mod use Deep cycle, generic brand.

The second came from a friend on the fourm Used, Optima Yellow top Deep cycle. (these are way $$$ New)--lasts about 4-5 hrs with mod use

I like the walmart brand batts and have many friends who like them as well. The thing about trolling motors is that if used on high (5speed) they drain way fast. I can probably go 4 miles on a charge when going on speed 2-3, but can only go maybe 1.5-2 miles on speed 5. It takes longer to get places, but you can go much further and the bat will last much longer. I carry the spare with me and rarely use the bat that came with the motor as the one 6 pack bat lasts long enough for a day of fishing.
[signature]
Thanks for the info. I was looking into the Optima but it appears the extra $ isn't worth it for just one more hour of runtime.

Thanks again,
[signature]
I use the batteries from Costco. They have several different sizes. I have the 85 one for my 34 thrust minn kota that I use on my toon. Lasts almost all day.
[signature]
How much and/or what speed are you running your motor? Just trying to get an accurate comparison. Are you using it to troll or mostly to get from place to place. The only tube experience I have is the the old fashioned flipper method and that has been a few years ago. Thanks for the information thus far.
[signature]
Most of the time I am going from place to place. Other times I might drag a bait around. If I am dragging a bait then maybe run 2 or 3. If I want to move around a little quicker then all the way to top speed. I use the fins for steering or maintaining a certain location.
[signature]
I would recommend using at least a group 27 size battery. They have a lot higher reserve capacity than a standard size 24, If you need more you can go to a group 29. if you decide that you want even more than that I would say to 6 volt deep cycle (quite a bit of weight) batteries hooked in series would last the longest.
[signature]
Thanks for the info. everyone and I will have to check into the group size of the batterries I am currently using. Thanks again.
[signature]