Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SharksSome
Some of my Marlin buddies had told me of the cold green water surrounding the Southland before we took a Mako Shark excursion. They were absolutely correct. Sunday we took a heading for the 14 mile bank and as the water temp. dropped at about 15 miles we turned back to water about 67 degrees. That's not too bad for Makos but the color of the water was brownish green, which usually means cold upwelling water. But, it wasn't cold at all. Weird! It reminded me of the Sea of Cortez. Anyway we got into the "baby" blue sharks like I have never seen before and they were really hungry. We caught at least 30, 2 foot long babies, released of course. No Makos attacked our bait and we saw only two jumpers all day. We went back to the Horseshoe for bass, cast one time into 59 degree water, pulled up anchor and went home. Like my son said "God is pissed at us" 'cause normally we never get skunked.
[signature]

Thanks gvanzant,

As you say, water conditions must be messing with a lot of species migration and feeding. How about the two different species of squid floats happening at Catalina. At this time of year!!! gimmie a break!! ha ha

Ah, I caught a 3 foot blue shark on a party boat last year. They're pretty good fighters. Glad to hear at least some sharks are showing in decent numbers.

3 Yellows on the Native Sun were caught locally today really wierd.

JapanRon
[signature]
We have seen and caught and released a baby Mako at CAT in the last week, we saw him last Thursday at Red Bluff and again Monday at the same spot, he seems to have grown and I noticed a kayak on the beach but nobody around.......

Ron: ROn thats the way we do it at LB Berth 55 its called SKILL!

Aaron
[signature]
Rick: Sharks are amazing creatures but only one of them is truly edible, that being a Mako. So, you must promise me that you will release , unmolested, all the blue sharks you catch. They can be thick around the boat after a little work on your part. Go to the ten mile drilling platforms off Huntington Beach and proceed about 2 miles south beyond the southern most rig, stop your boat and drift. Chum steadily with cut up sardines anchovies etc. I also have a chum bucket oozing out its' contents for hours on end. Sooner or later the blues will appear in the chum line and they are very easy to catch. You need steel leaders, 7/0 hooks and no sinkers. 30 pound mono is the lightest you can use. So you need at least a 4/0 type reel. Don't worry about live bait, use cut up sardines. ALWAYS BE PREPARED FOR A BIG ONE EITHER A MAKO OR A LARGE BLUE. The trip before last we caught a blue that was 6 feet long. Have gloves and wire cutters handy just in case they cant be landed. AND DO NOT HEFT A SHARK OF ANY KIND INTO THE BOAT especially with kids aboard.
This should get you through it. Be carefull those shark teeth are sharper than any razor you ever saw.
[signature]
Rick: Conratulations! Two Makos of 90 pound class is really hard to top. Where were you fishing? Were you trolling? Did you chum? What did the Makos want for bait? How did you land them? That's really great. Those Makos' really barbecue nicely after cutting 3/4 inch steaks. I like them better than swordfish which is now a real delicacy. Again Rick, "you the man"
[signature]