Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake mead night fishing lures
[cool]Figured I would just post this up for some input. Last couple months or so I've been hitting up lake mead after hours when the sun goes down. Most of the time its just to bait fish for cats.

Recently i've been spending most of the time throwing dark colored top water popping lures. I get alot of strikes/blowups but mostly they are not sticking on. I've tried waiting to set the hook,set the hook fast, dif retrieves slow fast,changed out the hooks etc. and still same results.

Im wondering if this is just more of a investigative strike or nudge its not the regular slam and grab strike. Maybe its just a nighttime thing? Maybe the wrong lure? not sure thats why I posted it here for some insight.

What are your guys experiences bass fishing at night?
[fishin]
[signature]
I never fished for bass at night, although I would try it. I just have not done it yet. I was gonna go to willow last night but my brother wimped out on me. I did buy some of those glow stick rod tips to see how they worked.

i wonder what the fish would think if you attached one of those glo sticks to the popper.
[signature]
When I am fishing top-waters, I don't really set the hook. When you get a hit, wait til you feel weight before you put any force into the fish. If you set the hook before they have turned and re-entered the water, you will pull the bait away from them.

BUT... Topwaters are tough at night. You will miss a lot of fish purely because they miss the bait. It is hard to see, and you are pulling it away from them. They just mis-judge the strikes.

Try a big spinnerbait, a big plastic worm, or a big swimbait. Big, dark, and slow. A bait with presence can be easily tracked down. Those are some things to think about with nighttime fishing. As far as topwaters, try something like a jitterbug or a wakebait. Anything that leaves an unbroken trail on the surface can help with hookups.
[signature]
Well you got the first part right DARK color it the correct pattern. Next is fish on FULL MOON or bright moon lit nights. SUMMER is great for night fishing, no bugs, jet skis and less heat. Lures for this application are swim-baits, AC plugs, and other top water you may have.

At night looking down at the water it's dark.
When the fish look up in the water it's almost like daytime.

When shore fishing the Strippers are coming from deeper water and are making a last minuet attack.
Like the apex shark eating seals.

In Winter the larger fish are active in colder water so they will hunt near the shallows. (and eat Trout)
[signature]
That doesn't mean to stay home on dark nights, though. I have had amazing night-fishing trips on dead-dark nights.

I am one to not agree with lunar "fishing times". I believe that all environmental conditions have an effect on fish behavior and mood, but that doesn't mean you can't get on the water and catch some fish, does it?
[signature]
I'm sure the moon and sun have an effect but its more about how aggresive the fish are and where they are in my opinion. Figure out the right place and pattern for the given time in the lunar cycle and weather and you'll catch fish consistantly all the time.
[signature]
All of my large night stripers have been on less than half moon nights, any kind of moon that lights up seems like it kills the bite for me. Full moon nights can be good bait fishing, but that's another story. I've never got them to hit my ac plugs or swimbaits with a moon. Big largemouth are a different story, go out in a brushy cove under a full moon and throw out a nine inch wake bait during july or august! Some of the best bass fishing of the year can be had.....my two cents
[signature]
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I never believed in that lunar moon mumbo jumbo either and still don't.But scientific studies prove otherwise.

Of course you always have to factor in a wide variety of environmental conditions aswell. There will always be fish to be caught at any given time at any given part of the lake it just depends.

Unfortunately I cant really plan my fishing time around the lunar cycle like most other people so I pretty much go when I can. I been out on no moons, fullmoons, halfmoons, orange moons, quarter moons I have caught fish most times only difference I notice is that action is better in the summer.
[signature]