Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rod holders
I just completed and tested 2 rod holders for my tube. I used Tubedudes "schematics" and made some additions of my own. The material you will need are 2" PVC tube in lengths of 10-12" or adjust the diameter to the butt size of your rod. some small S hooks, shrink tube, 10" bungee cords with hooks on both ends, A length of about 2' of bungee cord with no hooks, Some foam for the top circumference, nylon rope and a can of spray paint.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=548;]
Here's a close up of the foam attached with super glue. Also notice the 10" bungee permenantly attached to the side. This is used to secure the rod in place

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=549;]

A length of Bungee cord is attached to the bottom and runs unde the tube and is secured on an inside D ring. The top is secured by a direct attachment via S hook to an outside D ring but it can be more practical as well as less wear and tear on you D rings if you attach a length of nylon rope to the top of the holder and run that along the top of the tube and attach to the same D ring as the lower bungee cord via a S hook. The bungee holds the holder firmly in place while the top nylon rope controls the way the holder rides. By lengthening the rope your rods will hand outwards from the tube and shortening will cause them to hang over your head.

As a precautionary measure I added some shrink tube to the S hooks as a buffer between the metal and the float tube. It works great! I also added a small nylon loop to my D rings to allow the S hooks to ride flat against the tube (see below) as opposed riding vertically and digging in to the nylon cover.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=551;]

I then finished them off by painting black and they look great. Good Luck

Al

P.S. You can click on 2 of the pictures below that I didn't copy into the body that show diferrent angles on the Holder: "holders3.jpg" & "holders2.jpg"
[signature]
[cool]Lookin' good, for single tube holders.

Two questions: What kind of paint did you use...epoxy, Krylon or ????

And, do the tiger muskies like them?

That use of a loop on the D ring, to hook the S clip is a great idea. Makes for a smooth connection with a minimum of potential for snagging clothing or digging into the tube.

Thanks for sharing. Now we will be watching for the sonar installation.
[signature]
I just purchased a can of that cheap spray paint for about 80 cents. Not sure what it is but it is holding up fine. Will definatelly scratch off if it comes in contact with a sharp object or an abrasive surface like a rock. No big deal though.

For a better and longer lasting paint job there is this new spray paint out that bonds to plastic. I was going to pick one up but couldn't find black and the price tag $5.00 stopped me. I'll post a picture of them fully installed on my tube when I take it. They look great! You can only tell thier home made from real close.

Al
[signature]
[cool]My personal recommendation is that you not come in contact with sharp rocks. Scratches on your pretty new rod holders are only part of the reason.

I am just getting ready to order a new supply of Pliobond. I have used it a lot in rod building and lure making. It glues almost anything to anything with a waterproof and flexible bond. It might be worth looking into for that foam cushion application. It is available from Janns, and other tackle making suppliers. [center][url "http://store4.yimg.com/I/lewis-and-clark_1755_152174529"][Image: lewis-and-clark_1755_152134477][/url][/center]
[signature]
Very nice Al You'll have to show me exactly what you did there. I'm not much of a put together guy.[unsure]
[signature]
Very nice, and well thought out. Nice work hustler898.
[signature]