Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
line weight
I have always wondered what the differences are in putting different weight lines on a rod. I have always stuck with the lighter weight referenced, but I don't really have an understanding or reason why -- 5 wt on my 5/6 rod and 3 wt on a 3/4 rod.

For instance if you have a 7/8 wt rod, what would be the pros and cons of putting either weight line on? What is the mechanics or reasoning here? Does anyone have any knowledge in this area, or know where I can look it up? So far I have struck out on looking it up.

Thanks!
[signature]
I only have a couple of rods that are rated as two and mostly fiberglass. The reasoning of course is lighter faster, heavier slower as far as action.
The upper end rods are pretty much rate as marked, but you will still find those that will buy a fast action and over line it to slow it down. Plus allot of the rod manufacturers are making fast rods like all of Winston's Asian made are fast action.

I went the opposite on the two line rods C. I go with the heavier of the two, but I like slow or medium action.

This is really good read for this subject:

http://www.common-cents.info/caq.htm
[signature]
... seems to me the good doctor has a lot of time on his hands... but this ccs is new to me...

I will admit short comings at times when describing a fly rod but I understand 5wt means the rod is designed/designated to be used with a 5wt line... "action" at times confuses me as I have stated before.. I look at action as recovery.. the quicker the rod recovers from the load.. the faster the action (in my mind)... thats why 5:5 etc and tip flex or mid flex never really made sense to me except that a tip flex would be a faster "action" rod than a mid etc...

thats how I understand things now..

Cindy.. as for line to use... I quite honestly ask FG and if she says go with this or that line.. thats what I do.. :-).. one of the big reasons why is that in talking to her I have discovered a 5wt can load like a 6wt depending on the manufacturer etc... or a 6wt can give you the action of a 7wt line on a 6wt rod like my mojo rod.. again depending on how the line is made and by whom...

there are few people I trust as much as I do her and mojo and a few others when it come to fly fishing.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I'd agree with mackfly, the people on this board are awesome.
As to your question, I don't really have anything too insightful to add, but I did have an interesting experience last night.
My good 8 wt is at the factory getting repaired at the moment, but I've got the itch to catch some steelhead this weekend, so I pulled out my crappy wallmart 7/8 wt rod and put my reel with the 8 wt line on it. I could still cast it, but it did feel "overloaded" or kind of heavy as I was casting it. I don't know if that's interesting or helpful or not, but that was my first time using the wrong weight line for a rod, and it did feel weird. I guess maybe tomorrow I'll see how it works with a fish on the end... at least I won't care too much if I break that rod [Smile]
[signature]
Thank you all for the replies. The CCS link is extremely helpful. As is the other advice. Thanks!

Is there that much difference in fighting large fish such as carp or steelhead on a 7 weight rod as apposed to an 8 or will both do the job about the same?
[signature]
if I had to guess.. and that is what I am doing.. but on that wally world rod.. it felt different because it is a stiffer mid to full flex rod (I used to have one) almost like having a tree limb in your hand.. :-)

... I am betting the rod in the shop is a little faster tip to midflex rod.. so it would load the line a little easier and the faster "reflex" of the tip to mid action would shoot your line out faster and smoother..

but that is all a guess...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
right you are, my other one is a fast action, and significantly lighter than the cheep one.
It felt pretty goofy. I ended up hooking one steelie but only had him on for 20 seconds or so, so I didn't get a chance to break it. [shocked]
I certainly wish they would hurry up with my rod!
[signature]
as I said .. I used to have one of the wally worlds... it was a good starter rod for me.. with the help of FG and others on this site I have upgraded and have a small variety of rods that I use when I get a chance to hit the water...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I really like the Common Cents System that FG had in her link. http://www.common-cents.info/ Read part 1. You can probably skip the action angle measuring and just go to the part on measuring your fly rod's optimum weight for line deflection.

Using the pennies in a baggy method, I was able to "measure" the rod's optimum line weight for a couple of rods that I have never liked the feel of. One a "4" wt is much closer to a 3 wt and cast better with a three wt line on it. I had previously tried a 5wt line on it and hated it. Now I know why.

The other rod a 7/8 wt that had an 8 wt line on it is really a borderline 6/7wt - I am going to try a 7wt line on it, and it could probably cast a 6wt line even better. Another one of our 5wts is closer to a 6, so I will probably up the weight of the line on it and try it out.

Interesting method and he really goes into the science of measuring a fly rod's characteristics. Which is what I was looking for. Much easier to make a more informed decision on how different weight lines are going to work on my rods.

I also liked the information in "A Buyers Guide to Fly Rods"
Here:
http://www.flyfishinggear.info/buyers_gu...guide.shtm

There was some nice information in some of the sections that I never knew -- or don't remember at least, and I have been fly fishing a long time!
[signature]