Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
vise upgrade
I'm looking to upgrade to a rotary. I'd like to stay under $200 or so. I've been doing the research, but there are lots of choices. What is everybody using, and are you satisfied with what you have. What would you recommend?
[signature]
For 200 bucks there lots great vises out there I would suggest

Griffin Blackfoot Mongoose
Renzetti Traveler 2200
[signature]
I can only give my opinion of the Traveler as well. I have been using it for probably 25 years and have replaced the O ring twice. I like it because of all the accessories available for it. Cam or thumb screw jaws, pedestal or clamp, Body extension arm, Parachute holder arm, even a Tube Fly jaw set up.

Like I said, it is my choice and I have not personally used other vises for any length of time, but I say, get one that has ACCESSORIES>
[signature]
Can't go wrong with the Renzetti Traveler. Has been around and been proven. If you want to go a little above $200, you could go with a Griffin Montana Mongoose. I've been tying on one for about 8 months and I really like it. It's a bit tricky to get the balance right, but once it's dialed in I have loved everything about it.

If you want an inexpensive rotary vise and want an extra $100+ to spend on materials, Dan-Vise is a good option. I tied on one for 6 years and liked it. It performed well for me and it runs about $85 usually.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]I can only give my opinion of the Traveler as well. I have been using it for probably 25 years and have replaced the O ring twice. I like it because of all the accessories available for it. Cam or thumb screw jaws, pedestal or clamp, Body extension arm, Parachute holder arm, even a Tube Fly jaw set up.

Like I said, it is my choice and I have not personally used other vises for any length of time, but I say, get one that has ACCESSORIES>[/quote]

+1 More. The Renzetti Traveler is a great all around vise!
[signature]
keep an eye on KSL. there was a Renzetti (sp) for sale yesterday for 40 bucks
[signature]
Thanks everyone for the replies. You're advice is appreciated.
[signature]
have to agree with the Renzetti... FG suggested it when I upgraded and it was like nite and day.. what I like most about it is that it is easier to work around than my other vise... less cumbersom.. and to me that makes tying flies a lot easier..

MacFly
[signature]
Just purchased a "Peak" rotary, pedestal off Ebay new for $150 including shipping. Tied about 40 streamers on it so far.
It seems quite well built
[signature]
Nice! That will work for a long time.
[signature]