Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dam fishing from shore?!?
hey guys Im new here and to dam fishing as well and I have a couple of questions I was hoping you might be able to help me with. Ive been attempting to go for some big blues below a large dam and don't know if I'm getting the presentation right or what's going on but I keep on coming up with nothing so I thought Id post what Im doing so you all can tell me what Im doing wrong... Ive got two 9 foot rods with big spinning reels on em. Im using 50 lb mono and a 4 oz bell weight above a barrel swivel then a two foot leader, and an 8/0 circle hooks. I found a local bait shop that sells finger sized minnows so Ive been throwin 4-5 on a hook and chucking it out as far as it can go. Ive never fished this type of super heavy current before and have no idea where the cats are hangin out. We fish a good 250 yards down from the actual dam and here's what's happening. The rod tip stays elevated and it looks like there is always a nibble... the Rod tip goes forward and back like you might see surf fishing. Is this normal? Does it mean I dont have enough weight on there? When you reel it in at first it actually feels like there is a fish on until you get to a certain point and then it's easy the rest of the way. I assume this is going from main current to light current/ deep water to shallow? . I dont have a problem freezing my butt off while fishing but It's frustrating going every day for the past 3 weeks and coming up with nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
[signature]
I have never fished for Blues so my .2 might not even be worth that. I do fish for Channels and Sturgeon. I try to find a seam in the current. I look for a spot where the fast water and slow pass each other. Any kind of a break in the current is good. Is your weight rolling? I use up to 10oz pyramid sinkers to keep the bait in the spot. The action your seeing from the rod tip is normal. I like to use cut bait in silver dollar pieces for cats but for sturgeon I am using a whole fish for bait ( 4" to 6" trout) for sturgeon I will cut the fish so it will release scent maybe even smash the head a bit to help with scent release.
Just my thinking but if the current is as strong as your saying you might want to find a spot that has less current until the weather warms up a bit. Ron
[signature]