Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ultralight spinning rig for local streams/rivers?
I'm looking for some help on picking out an ultralight setup since I have never traveled down this path, always slung heavy and winched em in.

What should I be looking for in a rig as an utter beginner?

Have been eyeballing the G. Loomis TSR791 and the Shimano Stradic CI4 4100.

Also have no idea on what to run for lures/terminal tackle.

Thanks for any help.
[signature]
Ultra light gear is fun to use. I use 4-6 lb trilene for line. The last rod I purchased was a 5' cabelas that normally runs around $25. There are many brands to choose from I recommend going down to one of the shops and playing with the different rods. They come in different lengths. Also it depends upon what you are chasing after for the baits. Float tubing I do a lot of jigging so I use small jigs with a 1"-3" jig body. Weight of head is usually no more than 1/4 oz if that. For spoons and spinners think small again like 1/4 oz or less. Ultralight is great for spinners like mepps etc... I also picked up recently a 4 wt fly rod that is only about 5 feet in length for small streams. That can be fun if interested in using flies. I have caught 16" trout, largemouth bass, walleye, perch, crappie, and green sunfish all on ultralight gear. I also have small cranks that I use with the ultralight. These cranks are ususally too light to use with the heavier gear due to casting problems. But work great with the lighter rods. Hope this helps.[cool]
[signature]
That helps a lot, think I'm going to try and make it down to Cabelas tomorrow if I can get the wife out of bed early enough to beat the traffic southbound [angelic]
[signature]
Have fun. Wish I could join ya but alas I must get my goons and toon trailer ready for warmer days.[bobhappy] I think, no I know that you will really enjoy ultralight fishing. I know I do that is why I own 4 ultralight spin rods and a 4 weight fly rod.[cool]
[signature]
I really shouldn't have gone down there today, this followed me home:

[Image: a0f01a5e.jpg]

Perfect balance on it, I was impressed.

Trying to figure out what line to use, thinking about trying the Spiderwire Invisi-Braid
[signature]
Like I said I use the trilene XL 4-6 lb test line. It is strong and light. Nice rod!?[Smile]
[signature]
I would definatley use mono or fluro on an ultralight setup. If you go for something in braid that is the same diameter as 4-6 lb. line you could break your stuff easier. Not sure they make a braided line in a 4 or 6 lb. No leader needed in clear water with 4 lb mono or fluro but you may want one with braided. Also some of the point of getting an ultra lite set up is for fighting fish on smaller stuff. Lots of fun getting a 20" trout on a little ultra lite and 4 lb. test.
Hopefully you got something set for throwing the small sized lures you want to. Some throw down to 1/8 good, some to 1/16 or even 1/32. It is pretty fun to wing light tackle and am sure you will enjoy your set up. It looks nice and you should get lots of use. You can really catch big fish on those little lures.
[signature]
I will second that.z
[signature]
[quote lucabrasi]Not sure they make a braided line in a 4 or 6 lb.[/quote]The rod I purchased (Loomis TSR-690) was designed for 3 to 4 lb PowerPro and for lure weights from 1/32 to 1/8oz.

Plan on using a 5 to 10' 4 lb Flouro leader with Moss Green PP if I don't try one of the newer Spidercast Flour-Braid's.

The Power Pro Microline can be seen here:
[url "http://www.powerpro.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/power_pro_v2/products/0/white.html"]http://www.powerpro.com/...roducts/0/white.html[/url]

Any suggestions on good places to shop around Bountiful? Or how about online, looking for places other then Cabela's and Bass Pro to browse their options.
[signature]
There is always sportsmans. Otherwise in in Bountiful there in not much. Sports Authority is on 500 south and then there are the usual places like Kmart in WX and Walmart in Centerville. Now if you wanted fly stuff I would send you to the fly shop on Redwod road in NSL. They got some pretty decent stuff in there.
[signature]
Wal-mart sells PowerPro lines...Their selection is usually pretty limited but if they have what you need/want the price is always better.
[signature]
I have 4 lb stren on my 5ft ugly stick ultra light, managed a 13 pound carp with it without breaking and was a blast trying to get it in. My wife wants an ultra light rod since she thinks everything feels bigger or harder fighting on my ultra light versus her medium rod.
[fishin]
[signature]