Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
off the wall about vises....
here I go again.. another off the wall question on tying vises...

there are times my neck and back get a little sore when I am tying up flies... and I am wondering if the postion of the vise vertically may be the cause.

as my vise sits now I am looking down on to it as a slight angle.. I am not right over on top of it but I am also not looking straight at the fly...

my question is what is the correct level that the vise should be set at so that the tyer is comfortable and still sees the fly best at all angles?? should they be looking at the fly at a slight downward angle as I am now.. be on top of the fly looking almost straight down.. or maybe looking stright at the side of the fly as they are tying???

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
You just have to try different levels. Right now I am straight on and it kills my back. I like slightly higher.
[signature]
slightly higher than eye level??

If I have to go that route Ill have to buy the extention for the vise.. [:/]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I mean I prefer to look down at the fly. I need a taller stool.....or a shorter desk...LOL
[signature]
I look down at it now but sometimes my neck gets sore.. thats why I was wondering if maybe I should raise it a little.. but that would mean getting that extention piece...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[quote macfly55]slightly higher than eye level??

If I have to go that route Ill have to buy the extention for the vise.. [:/]

MacFly [cool][/quote]

At 6'4" I got the HMH extension and it is still not at eye level, but I usually stop tying if my back gets sore and come back at it later on. Tylenol muscle pain relief also helps.
[signature]
Also try stretching and moving around the room every so often. Look out the window to get some distance vision going also. It isn't good to do any static or repetitive activity for extended periods with out change. For your body or your eyes.

Make it fun and enjoyable, not torture!
[signature]