Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to Vegas Fishing
Hey Vegas fishers! [fishin] I am fairly new to the vegas area (live in Henderson) and finally graduated school, which means that I have more time for fishing! It's time for me to dust off my rod and reel, lures, replace my line, and hit the waters, but bass fishing is somewhat foreign to me. Any ideas for me on how to get started at Mead, Mojave, or possibly even flyfishing the Colorado (more of my area). I am going to have to be a float tube/shore fisherman for a while until I can save enough to purchase a small boat (new grads are poor [frown]).

Any advice would be MUCH! appreciated!

thanks
[signature]
Welcome CD,
You can do well at the lake from shore or a belly boat/float tube. If you search for some of BigE's older posts and you can get an idea of what you can do on a tube.

You could fish fly poppers first thing in the morning for bass and if you ever came across surface activity (boiling). Streamers would work to. if you tied your own, you could perfectly match our threadfin shad by adding some yellow along the back and a black dot. Something like this.

[inline "Finished shad fly.JPG"]

There's a lot of great info on this site, just spend some time searching and reading and you can absorb alot.

Fish on!
[signature]
Thanks for the input [cool] I am ready to get out and start enjoying the water!
[signature]
[cool]There are alot of places to launch a tube. This spring there will be alot of areas for the bass to hang out in the flooded brush. Anything that looks like a shad will work. As far as flies go you will have to match the hatch. The stripers start slurping the shad larvae around may. Use small white streamers for these. As the boils happen increase the size. Stripers are alot of fun from the tube and more rewarding with a flyrod. Good luck.
[signature]
[quote BigE][cool]There are alot of places to launch a tube. This spring there will be alot of areas for the bass to hang out in the flooded brush. Anything that looks like a shad will work. As far as flies go you will have to match the hatch. The stripers start slurping the shad larvae around may. Use small white streamers for these. As the boils happen increase the size. Stripers are alot of fun from the tube and more rewarding with a flyrod. Good luck.[/quote]

Did you see that fly? Not bad, get on it[cool]!
[signature]
[cool]I'll see if I have the materials to tie it.
[signature]