Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's for dinner? Beef.
Hope this is okay on here. If I am breaking a rule, let me know and I'll remove this ASAP.

I raise and sell about 6-10 steer every year. I have 3 ready for butcher any time between now and the next 3 months or so. I sell them by 1/2 or 2/2 and they go for 1.80/lb hanging weight. The ones I have now are Holstiens or possibly Holstien cross and have been raised without medications of any kind on organic pasture and grass hay since I bought them. I bought all as calves a little over a year ago. They are young, lean, and tender. I live in the Boise, Nampa, Caldwell area. If anyone is interested send me a PM.
[signature]
It has been a number of years since I bought a full beef and had it cut up, how much is the hanging weight of a steer, 350-450 lbs or so? Also, is there someone in your area that can cut and wrap it?
[signature]
Hang weight on the last one we took in was 502. We use North West Premium Meats in East Nampa, not too far off the freeway, but would consider others at customers request. We've been very happy with NW, so I see no need to go anywhere else at this point.

I don't think I mentioned it in the first post, but price is $1.80 x hang weight, + kill, cut, and wrap. I think I forgot the + kill, cut, and wrap in the original post. Total for a whole steer hanging at ~500 lbs would come to about $1200 once you get it home, sitting in the freezer. Or, for a half it will run about $600.

I would be a good place to invest a tax refund.[sly]
[signature]