Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear lake 02-18-11
Wiperslayer and I fished the big blue lake yesterday from 7am to 3pm. Nice day but the catching was slow. We fished the East side, North of First point in 50 to 70' of water. Ice was 6 inches in 50' of water but a little thinner at 70'. We were the first on the ice there but 20 people showed up in several different groups before be left. During the day we heard some loud bangs and the normal popping the ice makes but one was louder than normal, we did not pay much attention until we went to leave and found the ice had opened up a four or five inch gap, closer to shore. Made me think about those guys that had to be rescued up at the Gorge a few weeks back, when that ice broke off from the shore. With the warming weather and the open water on the West side, I'm sure that ice won't last long.
Anyway, here is a picture of the Slayer's biggest cutt, a 5 lb 23" fatty, it had a 13 in girth.
[signature]
Curt , you and Ira are braver than I am when it comes to getting on the ice. Still have a little shell shock from the time I fell in and that was a while ago. Glad you guys are alright and that you got some action. Can't wait for the open water.
[signature]