Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prefered tippet brands?
What are some of your favorite tippet brands?

I think the last tippets I got are lemons. I have a 3lb and 5lb Rio that snaps when anything of size hits it or even if you snag a weed! I have used 2lb mono that is stronger. I am not sure if this is the usual with this brand or if it was sitting on the store shelf forever. Any ideas?
[signature]
I have had mono tippet that I think was old. Mine was Umpqua. But I think Vanish Fluoro is garbage and fluoro isn't suppose to have a shelf life.
My favorite tippet was Frog Hair (not made anymore). So, now Mirage & Precision and always Fluoro. Regular line I prefer P-Line and Seaguar 100% fluorocarbon.
[signature]
for now I use berkley fluro ... so far .. with my limited time on the water it has worked fine... :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
where does your tippet snap? at the hook? knot to the leader?
in between knots?
[signature]
Rio is all I ever use and I have never had any problems with it.....
[signature]
[quote cpierce]What are some of your favorite tippet brands?

I think the last tippets I got are lemons. I have a 3lb and 5lb Rio that snaps when anything of size hits it or even if you snag a weed! I have used 2lb mono that is stronger. I am not sure if this is the usual with this brand or if it was sitting on the store shelf forever. Any ideas?[/quote]
If it's mono, it has a shelf life. Sunlight will kill tippet real easy. Fluoro will last forever. Return it to where you bought it from if you bought it recently.
[signature]
Mostly snapped in the middle. Once between flies and a couple of times up closer to the leader knot. and once on or actually just above the the fly knot. If it was always in a knot I could see understand it more.

It is mono as I have floro, but I don't like floro for drys, so I got the mono intentionally. Wish they had expiration dates!

I think returning it is a good idea!

I haven't ever had leader act like this, good to know that it isn't all Rio materials though.
[signature]
sounds like you got a spool from a bad batch. its happened to me in the past both with rio and others. i've also gotten bad flotant which drove me crazy until i figured out it was the problem with rejection. i'm with you not using fluro for dries.

i've found when mono goes bad it discolors becoming milky looking, and/or slight chafing.

try another brand and see if your breaking problem is fixed. if so, then you got a bad spool.

good luck...
[signature]
I am with Mojo on your problem. Sadly, mono doesn't always change colors when bad, but if it is milky, probably a sure bet.

I use fluoro for dries. Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't sink that fast or much. I can use it on a #32 so, that tells you. I prefer the tippet slightly submerged any way, specially on spooky fish. No chance of the light flickering off it.
I will use a mono leader (or thread) on dries however.

Fluoro is stronger and smaller diameter than it's equal in mono, just F.Y.I.
[signature]
I also like mirage. I can get it to work fine with dries as well. With the exception of the 7x, the tippet almost never fails me.
[signature]
I use floro when steelheading using a float rig you would watch the line go down I put floatant on the line and it worked great. try some on the floro leader and tippet it should work good thinner and stronger and a bit longer shelf life.
[signature]
I returned the Rio tippet and picked up 2 spools of floro tippet before I went out this last time. I had no more weird break off problems. It does still sink a bit, but not enough to bother except with the tiny midges. I am not sure if it contributed to them sinking or not -- they are so small anyway.
A renegade floated fine with the floro. Using floatant on the line is a good idea too. Thanks!
[signature]