Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sneak peek at the 2011-2012 fishing regs.
Don't forget our fishing licenses expire 2/28 [Wink] I took a look through it and really didn't notice any new rules or regs same as last year. Just curious to why there is no limit on stripers under 20 inchs? Is mead really that full of em

[url "http://www.ndow.org/law/regs/fishregs/index.shtm"][/url][url "http://www.ndow.org/law/regs/fishregs/index.shtm"]http://www.ndow.org/.../fishregs/index.shtm[/url]

note - view in fullscreen
[signature]
you need a fishing license?
[signature]
You got a library card right? My mom says those count too[:p]

But seriously lvfishingdude why do you think there isnt a limit on stripers under 20 inchs? there must be millions and millions of em with a reg like that.
[signature]
will my Smith's Fresh Values Card work? I don't know why they even put a restriction on Stripers at all....
[signature]
[quote 4poundonly] there must be millions and millions of em with a reg like that.[/quote]

WHERE? i ain't never seen the amount of stripers they say are in the lake. if that was the case we would all come home with coolers full of fish everytime. are they that elusive that millions and millions of 20"and under fish can evade us? i don't know buddy sounds fishey (pun intended)[cool]

maybe they want to eradicate them? and totaly fish out the lake? who knows? and the other striper reg too, is it 20 or 25 fish over 20"? thats a helluvalot of nice fish to harvest everyday. never seen it though not even close[crazy] FISH ON!!!![fishin]
[signature]
ya sincityangler, that was the first thought that came to mind LoL.. who knows man, it pissed alot of people off when they dumped striper out there back in the day to begin with, and from what I have read they really didnt think the population would explode like it did. I read somewhere 10.4 million striper who the hell knows. one of a few motto's I live by NEVER BELIEVE WHAT THE GOVERNMENT TELLS ME
[signature]
I don't know how i feel about the 10 million estimate (I have heard that too) but there are WAY too many stripers in the lake. The problem is, we have millions of small stripers that gorge on our shad. If we anglers cut down on the numbers of small fish, the whole population will grow bigger as a result of the increased amount of food available. Hypothetically, if there are 500 stripers per acre in the lake, they get 'X amount' of food to share. If we lower that number to 200 stripers per acre, the amount of food available doesn't change, but each fish will eat more due to the lack of competition. Also, more shad will survive throughout the year to spawn, and out baitfish numbers would increase. Increased baitfish numbers mean healthier bass populations, too. If we succeed, our average striper size will more likely be upwards of five pounds instead of one, and we would see many more double digits. We need to practice selective harvesting of our fish to make the fishery what we want it to be. Kill and eat every striper you touch that is under 20" and I say release all over 20". We would have a healthy breeding stock of big fish, and successive generations would breed bigger and bigger as long as forage was available, and proper management was executed.
[signature]
i am intrested to see what happens with the water going up a bit and the explosion of Gizzard Shad all over the lake.

i saw a diver bird bring up a 12" gizzard the other day..... i was like WOH!
[signature]
DOW was one of our meetings (early winter) and said the shad population accounted for 42% of the fish in the lake.
Striped bass accounted for 52%. Gizzard shad can spawn 3 times per year and an adult will lay up to 350,000 eggs, threadfin will lay up to 180,000 eggs.

We take about 1,000 striper a year but have never taken a limit of 20" fish.
[signature]
Im not sure if i believe 10 mil estimate myself, but a 30pound female is capable of producing up to 5 mil eggs roughly. hard to say whats really goin on down in the depths, but I do agree with what you said whizzle
[signature]