Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dubbing methods..... curious minds want to know.. :-)
While watching fly tying videos I have noticed that there seem to be three primary ways to dub...

first is to simply wax or wet the thread and then twist the dubbing on..

second is to create a dubbing loop.. wet or wax it.. apply the dubbing.. twist into a rope and apply to the fly...

the last one.. and the one I find most intrigueing is what I see Richard Strolis (midcurrent.com) do when he wants to dub a fly... he seperates the thread.. applies a little wax.. then dubbing ... twist into a rope and apply to the fly...

is there a preferred way to apply dubbing??

is one method better than the other.. ??

which do you prefer to use??

is there a preferred thread to use dependant on the method of dubbing used???

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
If you want a really hairy bug, then I say dubbing loop.
I feel wax is an aid to make dubbing stick to the thread. Some need it others don't. Mike Andreason once mentioned that wax is more for beginners. I have heard others say this as well. I just know used it a little when I first started tying. I am a "wet the fingers" dubber now.
I recommend removing the dubbing off the rope when buying semi-seal or mohair. The sting that it is on is way to thick. Then I apply it to a dubbing loop. Some prefer an even thinner dubbing chenille and that is where they split the thread.

To split thread would give you the smallest of possible dubbing loops, but only certain thread will work. Danvilles, UTC, & Sheer all split nicely with a pin or very sharp bodkin.

All has it place (dubbing on thread for nymph bodies and dies for bulk and floatation) Dubbing loop for wispy buggy bodies (and remember...Less is More...keep it light).

A use for all of it.
[signature]
Its funny you mention less is more... I was watching a video last week where the tyer (cant remember his name) said a good way to tell if you have enough dubbing (after working it like you would play doh) is to hold it up and then let it go (drop out of your fingers).. if it is too much it will drop .. if it is just right it will float in the air...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][Image: happy.gif]Had a fellow tying at our club meeting last month and he was using a high tack wax and chopped up pieces of dubbing. He used just a smidgen of wax and a small bit of dubbing and the results were great. I picked up a vile of Loon High Tack Swax which did the job nicely.[/#008000][/font]
[signature]