Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to site from Cambria County
Im all about fishing, but having 2 young children kind of limits the distance I can travel and the money I can dish out. i have found a ton of places in my remote area, but Im looking to trade info/stories with guys in the area about new places, such as trout stream, ponds, Glendale lake etc. Looking to hear back from some interesting people....
[signature]
Hey welcome to BFT! I am also from Cambria County. SO what do you like to fish for the most??? I fish at Glendale alot. I know alot of people that call it the dead sea. I do not agree with them at all. They just dont know how to fish in my opinion. I will admit you gotta work hard up there to catch fish but thats half the fun of it i think, makes it more rewarding.

Do you own a boat??? If so i can be a big help on some small paces to go. Do you fish with live bait or lures???
[signature]
Im in the process of getting a little 12 ft john boat, so I will have one this year. I fish a little bit of everything, but I prefer live bait for lake fishing. However, trout fishing, I tend to thread minnows or use lures predominantly. I have been skunked at glendale, but not very many times. I have found a few good places this past year over there. I have a 5 year old son, so my areas to fish at the lake are pretty limited. Im gearing up for trout season now. Planning on fishing the chest creek delayed harvest area outside of Patton when the water levels go down. Also, they recently stocked Lake Roweena and Duman's Dam, so I'll get the boy out to hit up those spots just to relieve this cabin fever.

What about you? I take it you have a boat. I live in Ebensburg. Are you more North or South Cambria County?? Do you fish any reservoirs or ponds?? I found a bunch of them around my area. Get back at me and let me know whats up.
[signature]
Yep i i gotta boat, a 2009 G3 Eagle 165. I totally recommend G3 boats to anyone. They are built very well and ya cant beat the customer service. I also got a 12' V bottom that i use at the local electric only dams.

Im from Portage and i fish all of the local dams. I fish glendale the most and i like fishing beaver run and wilmore as well. Once in a while i fish Yellow creek but not to often. I also like to hit up the Pymatuning when i can but above all my fave place to go has ta be Erie. I make a few trips up there a year. That place spoils me everytime i go up there, it like the eden of lakes lol.

I fish fish strictly with lures. I got a soft spot for hard jerk baits and all the soft plastics you can throw at me. I know my plastics bag has got to weigh about 20lbs lol. Thats sillyness, but i would not have it any other way. I also own and run my own tackle company. We make all kinds of stuff for local tackle shops. If you see anything that is by "Scared Fishless Tackle Company", thats me. We are working on improving our website and hope to have it done soon so the public is able to order from us.

Im not much for trout mainly because i hate the people that go. I hate being pushed around and constantly getting tangled with other jackasses lines. So lately i been going up to Erie the first day of trout to fish for perch. Not sure what im gonna do this year just yet so we will see.
[signature]
Wow, sounds like you got it all figured out. haha My biggest problem has been that I was out of the state from 02-08 because i was in the marine corp. I did a little bit of fishing down in NC, but for the most part, it seems like I have been starting from scratch all over again when I came back to PA. haha It also doesn't help that, as I mentioned before, I dont have a boat yet. Fishing from the shore can be a huge challenge, but I got a few friends and lately we have been able to find some good spots round the way.

I recently started fishing Wilmore last year, and aside from a few catfish and bluegill, i havent been able to land anything. I feel a lot of this has to do with the fact that there arent many accessible areas (at least that I know of) from shore. Did some catfishing there last Oct, but got scared out of there by a few unruly coyotes. haha If you have any info on where i might be able to fish from shore (providing I dont have my boat before it warms up) I would really appreciate it. I have also been hearing a lot about Hinckston Run damn. Do you know anything about that?

I would love to make a trip to Erie, however money is definitely an issue with me having a 5 year old and a newborn. But I'll figure it all out sometime.

As for trout fishing, I completely agree with you. That is why Im happy to say that I have a close group of people I go out with first day to Chest Creek up in Westover (Clearfield Co.) and we basically crowd around a hole and keep anyone else from getting in. I also prefer to go during the week while most normal people are at work. Or, I get up super early before daybreak and stake claim to a fishing hole so no one can get in. Anymore though, I go to a crowded hole just to catch more fish than anyone else. The look of sheer amazement and anger on someone's face when you're pulling them out over and over again and they dont even get a bite is priceless.

Do you ever do any smallmouth fishing in the susquehanna?? I hit up the west branch a few times a year and wet wade it and there's nothing like it. It's definitely more about quantity than quality, but on an ultralight, its definitely worth it.
[signature]
First of all thanks for all you do for the Country. I am grateful that we have people like you who keep the USA safe and help keep our Freedom.

As for wilmore there are not a whole lot of options from the shore. If you go in from RT 160 on the breast side there is a road that runs the whole length of the dam. You need to walk it, but its not a bad road, its mostly flat. From there there are some sports shooting over the bank that you can fish. I do really well for bass at wilmore, although i am fishing from a boat. I think once you get your boat you will do alot better. I do well up there with top water in the eve and soft plastic tubes during the day. Maybe someday we will hook up and i will show you around.

I never fished Hinckston. Although i know it is really hard to fish from shore because it has really steep banks. I been meaning to try it someday but just never made it up there yet.

Yeah i have a nice place to go for trout up in brookville that aint really crowded but they stock it a month ahead of the first day. That dont really matter to me cause i seem to do really well. I use spinners i make myself for trout and hammer them, but the 2 guys i go with dont do so hot and they bitch whine and moan about it lol. So i said lets do Erie the first day from now on and that was that lol.

I never did any smallmouth fishing on the Susky but that is about to change real quick. My buddy Jeff is from down that way and he is gonna take me out for them in about a month or so. So i told him if he does that he should come up to erie with me and i will show him around and see if he can handle the madness. Up Erie if you dont boat 200 smallies a day per boat you are doing something wrong. 4 and 5 pounders are common and you may even get one or two 6 pounders exceeding 20" per trip if u r lucky. Speaking of Jeff im sure he will chime in here sooner or later but he does guided trips on the susky for smallies if you are interested. I dont know what he charges but you can ask him when i gets on here.
[signature]
I'll have to check into the spots in wilmore you mentioned. As for getting together and fish it, I'm down as long as I can get time. I work at the state prison in houtzdale. I could definitely use the pointers on artificial lures. I have a lot of luck with spinner bait and rubber worms, but thats about the extent of my expertise when it comes to bass. I do have a lot of luck on Shiners though.

I keep hearing a lot of good about Hinck. I will fish that come hell or high water this year. I also need to get down to the Quemahoning again. I did really well fishing for pike down there around 2000 or so before I went into the corp. I know a lot of ponds and such in the area I could show ya too. The one is outside of munster and I dont think anyone even knows about it. Lots of bass. Not great size, but all are about 12 or bigger, so its pretty fun anyway. My son loves it! The only problem is we got growled at once, so he is scared to go back. Most likely a bear in the area.

I wouldnt mind trying your spinners. I'll check into the site and let ya know what I think.

As for the guided trip, that sounds awesome. Where is he located out of?? I have fished the susky in clearfield and down harrisburg way. I wanna get down around mahaffey/ lumber city way and fish it. I got friends giving me reports of walleye and musky down that way and it cant hurt to try.
[signature]
Im new to this site as well as pretty much computers in general but i live outside of portage and love to fish....alot! I also got two kids. a five yr old and almost a two yr old. we fish every chance we get. Mainly the streams around the house for trout(Bens Creek, noels creek, little conomaugh) and wilmore dam. ive been fishing wilmore as long as i can remember and know lots of spots there to fish from the bank. some ive never told any one about just tell my buddies its a secret! Ha ha. I used to catch stringers full of 16in crappie before they opened up like it is now but there are still a few nice ones left if u can find them. I also love night fishing for channel cat and carp there. Ive caught cats over 25lbs several times and wow are they enough to destroy a rod in no time. gotta love it!!! I have a 16ft flat bottom boat with a 50 hp jet motor so i cant get it on wilmore but have had it on glendale a few times. Just go slow n dont piss anyone off is the way i figure it but am looking for another boat for those places. would love to hook up with some new ppl to fish with. get back at me
[signature]
Well, I must admit you have me intrigued to the possibilities of Wilmore. I have heard great stories, but its just a matter of finding the spots. Really dont want to drag my 5 year old down giant hillsides and risk him falling into the drink, ya know? haha But I should have a boat here within a month or so, and that will definitely open up everything. As for the giant crappies, I just talked to a friend of mine that said he's fished wilmore since he was young and he concurs. He told me to just search the banks for any place you see a few trees sticking up out of the water and I should have it made.

As for my 5 year old, I found a website online and just bought him his first pair of waders. We cannot wait to try them out. My buddy was just out pond fishing and caught a few bass, so I think I'll try one of the little ponds around here today or tomorrow and give it a whirl. Worse comes to worse and we dont get anything, at least I'm fishing. I may also hit up the delayed harvest area of Chest Creek in Patton.

We will definitely have to get together. I attempted to find noel creek and I found a small trickle of water under a bridge that could hold no fish. And Im from Johnstown originally and would love to get down and fish Ben's Creek. I'll let you know how I did fishing if I get out today.
[signature]
wilmore is about thawed out and will start crappie fishin it soon. as far as noels creek u were probably at the right spot, except go upstream. I have a side-by-side i load the kids n gear in to get to the spots most dont get to. willin to show u. Ive caught several trout over 20 in way up stream. Im a member of TAP(traditional anglers of Pa) in portage, by the ball fields at the park, and stock all the streams around so usually got a good hunch where the big ones are! There is a trout derby every year below my place in Cassandra for all ages. We have a blast and make a few bucks fishin to. I made bout $300 last year. Not bad for a day fishin!!! Its may 1st i think this year. Ill have my camper there the night before so we can watch the stream n make sure ppl dont fish it before it starts. there is seperate spot for kids to fish and i put all the big fish i catch from first day to then in the kiddy hole. Love seein kids hook into a lunker. Let me know the next time u wanna do some lip rippin n maybe we can hook up. Later!
[signature]
I wanted to tell you about a place that is great for the whole family at wilmore dam. There is a road off of munster road by the 22 overpass called patricks lane. its a long lane that turns to dirt not far into it. stay on it the whole way, gets pretty rough though, ull go through two yellow gates before you reach the dam. There is a pavillion and a biodegratable bathroom and fishing dock. Great for kids. mine always end up wet anyhow so ive trained my self to bring extra clothes. Great fishing there year round day and night. Ill be there soon, real soon....its makin me crazy!!![fishon]
[signature]
Any idea who puts on the fishing derby for kids in portage in the park?????? I own a tackle company and i would like to donate some spinner sets to give to the kids as prizes. I may even like to help out at the event if i am able.
[signature]
You sure can help out. The club is called T.A.P(traditional anglers of pennsylvania) Im a member as well as alot of people in portage. They do lots of things for kids that deals with fishing and hunting and also hold fundraisers. Someone is usually at the hatchery at 8am every morn to feed the fish and you could get the info of of them or next time I see someone ill check it out. Membership is $7 and junior members are $3 I think. Its a great program and we stock all of the streams in the area with some pretty hefty fish. You look familiar like i saw you fishing before but not sure where!!
[signature]
I'll stop down some morning but if you can get me a phone number of someone to contact that would be great too. Its possible you seen me, i fish everywhere lol. I got a red G3 Eagle 165 with a 20hp Yamaha on the back, a old aluminum boat i take up wilmore with a sticker of a red shark eating a little fish on the sides of it towards the back. I also got one of those little inflatable single person blue and silver pontoon kick boats that i take up to wilmore from time to time. I go to glendale a ton and im at raystown a good bit to. But my heaven has got to be Erie Smile So yeah you probly seen me around at one point lol.
[signature]
Swinger, I do know of that spot... I was out on the little aluminum dock last year fishing for cats and me and my buddy were surrounded by coyotes... Pretty cool experience. Caught a few, but nothing impressive. Do you fish to the right or the left of the dock?? Also, do you have any idea how deep it is there? I was there one time and heard a lady screaming she caught a walleye out of there. I have caught a few crappie from that spot too, but thats about it. As for Noel's, thanks for the info. I'll be sure to walk my lazy ass up the stream next time. I got out on Lake Roweena a few times recently, but didnt get anything. had a few chasing lures, but thats about it. As for the Derby thing, sounds great. I got anothing friend that has fished it and highly recommends it. I'll be sure to fish around that area as it is super close to me.

Have either of you guys been out this year yet, and if so where to and how did you do??? i really wanna hit up a spot in glendale I know for pickerel and pike, but was unsure if their bite would be turned on yet or not. Tips are appreciated.
[signature]
Im workin on gettin a number for you on the kids derby and we are always looking for new members that are active and help stocking and fundraisers and with the kids. The TAP website hasnt been updated this year yet but you can check it out, it still has alot of info in it that may help
[signature]
If you were at the breast go up the dam and there is a steep bank( not the greatest for small kids but my five yr old does good other than gettin a little wet but gotta be carefull cause it is a steep drop off the rocks, awesome june crappie spot, non stop around dusk!! Alot of good spots the whole way along that road, just gotta walk it. As for a the stump club (patricks lane) end it depends on the time of year. Now id go closer to the stumps end for crappie which I will be doing any day now and throwin some trout magnets for some slabs. Just look for a down tree and have at it. The warmer it gets the crappie move toward the breast. That whole end of the dam is shallow but a small channel where the stream comes in (Howels Run). Thats where u wanna go for the big cats at night! As for walleye, I personally never caught one but did catch a small pickeral once and there is also bofin there also. I saw a guy with a big musky a few years back too! Ive been out two times trout fishing in february and did awesome with salmon eggs and wax worm. Caught a bunch of nice bows and a few browns that TAP stocked in the fall as fingerlinks that are growing nicely out of the lower end of the conomaugh in lilly. I am thinking bout goin to either raystown spillway or glendale soon for some walleyes to see if there is any action...should be real soon!!
[signature]
I was at raystown sunday and we were getting surface temps from 46 to 51. Not to bad for this early in the year. We did not do to good but it was nice to get out. I had a bite off in the morning with a Jig&Pig, i dont know what it was but it had teeth lol. And around lunch i had a monster bass grab ahold of my spinner bait right at the boat. Needless to say it swallowed my whole spinnerbait and when i pulled it up it seen the boat opened its mouth and said see ya!! Never even had the hook in it. It was deff bigger than the one in my picture. Me and my buddy figure she was around 22 maybe 23 inches and 6 1/2 give or take. So yeah i did cry a little.

As for glendale for pike, you wanna hit that the second the ice goes off the lake for pike. That is the best time for your shot at a big one. I always seem to do well up there for pike but the past fe years it seems like i been catching more and more pickerel than pike. So i hope to see that start to change again. I would guess that the ice if off glendale by now, i dunno. I been really busy with my tackle company and haven't even had time to get my boat ready yet. So when my buddy asked me to go to raystown i jumped on it and went lol. So if you know if the ice is off completely let me know and i will probly head up sunday morning and try my luck if the weather is decent anyway.

As for TAP i will check out there website and try to gather some info!
[signature]
do you try for any walleye at glendale and if so im lookin for some pointers. I just started walleye fishin last yr and got a few spots at glendale picked out but only landed one. I know this is the time of year to start catching the big hammers[fishon]
[signature]
Nope I go to lake Erie for those guys. The pymatuning aint to bad either. But from what i hear people catch walleye up there in the shallows at night up in killbuck. I dunno just what i heard. Never actually tried to catch them up there.
[signature]