Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishlake 3-4-11
Took the kids to fishlake today. Arrived at the lake at about 9am. Fishing by 10 the catching was slow, but the kids had fun catching perch, my boy (4yrs) managed to catch a splake that was about 18" by himself, however my brother that was with him in the tent though it to be a small pup laker which we don't keep. So he let it go. Then my boy managed to hook another bick fish on his super man pole and had a hard time getting it in when they got it to the hole it would not come up through (as in it was to big) no it was not a laker it was a giant gold fish (carp) my brother estimated it to be about 5-6 pounds. Wish I could have got a picture but it came off.

The other group with us (CWP) his dad and two boys were a little luckier than us in the Rainbow department they managed to get 5 nice fat bows 17-19 inches and one that was probably 2.5 lbs. And while CWP was cleaning up to head home he had one take it so hard it took the pole right down the hole. I would like to see that fish.

The wind was horrible from about 11am to 3pm. Blue skys. There is about 20-24 inches of ice and about 6-12 inches of snow depending on if your in a snow drift or not. All in all it was a great day can't wait to get back down.
[signature]
Thanks for the report I got a few questions for u or anyone that can help I have never been to fish lake and was wondering what to use and how deep of water do they catch the splake in and as far as the perch are they dinks or are they worth keeping I have a ten year old son who I am taking next weekend ther
e and is hoping to catch some nice fish any help would be great thanks
[signature]
There is an echo in here in case you were wondering. Any size to the perch? Thanks!
[signature]
A few of the perch were about 8-9 inches. They deffinatly have gotten biger over the lase few years.

As for the splake the ones we caught were between 15 and 30 feet. Some were in 20 feet of water the others were caught at 20 feet in 80 feet of water.

We caught fish on a wide variety of jigs, rat finkies, white tubes, green tubes. All were tipped with a meal worm.

good luck this weekend wish I could go back down.
[signature]
Nice report DeadI i was just about to make a separate report about my trip down there 2/27-3/1, but ill just add my info here[Wink]

Fishin for us was hot for Rainbows catching them out of every hole we drilled. We totaled around 50 bows for 3 people in 3 days in depths from 30 ft-100 ft, biggest fish was 17.5". We managed to catch perch and splake the last day in 40 ft of water right off the bottom off the weed beds. Splake needed a bit of jigging to bite but didnt seem to matter for the perch, they bit good. we also spent a few hours fishin the bottom in 80-100 ft. with mac tackle, no luck.

Both nights we went out night fishin, first night from 10:00pm- 2:00am second night finished about 12:30. first night I went out solo in 65 ft of water and every drop would quickly produce a rainbow, the action was even too quick to fish two rods. The second night 3 of us fished in 30 ft of water, was a bit slower and not as long but still managed to catch a few a piece.

The hot bait of the trip was a small glowing ice fly tipped with a glow colored (didnt actually glow in the dark) gizzy bug and sweetened with perch eye and/or wax worm. The biggest fish was taken on a tinyl pink jighead tipped with a 1/2" salt and pepper curly tail grub and sweetened with wax worm.

We measured the ice in one spot at 19" and it was similar everywhere we drilled, all we had was a hand auger so we worked for our holes, but it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be. The snow on top was at most about 14" deep, if you are taking a wheeler avoid the slush patch outside the south marina along the sled highway, we got stuck once trying to make it to the east side, but we did fine going north out of the south marina.

The cabin was good and their staff is accommodating and friendly. The store they had open was very limited and they didnt have shampoo/conditioner in the cabin. This was a very fun and memorable trip for all. My camera is done for, no pics.

Eric
[signature]
DeadI my dadand a few friends and I were there a couple weeks ago. He last one of his brand new set ups down the hole. Then mine went down the hole because my other pole was getting action. Thank goodness for one of my buddies though he was able to grab it with his arm submerged to his shoulder and reeled in the fish and it was only 16". So the fish don't have to be that big to rip a pole down the hole. We had a great day down there though and hoping I will be able to get there on Tuesday.
[signature]
First time I have heard of a carp being hooked in Fish Lake. I know it has suckers in it but didn't realize there were also carp.
[signature]
Are you refering to the chubs as suckers. I have seen lots of what I call carp in that lake.
[signature]
[quote DeadI]

Are you refering to the chubs as suckers.

[/quote]

No, I am referring to Utah suckers, which grow much larger than a Utah chub and look very different (sucker has the mouth on the bottom).
[signature]
Sounds like a ton of fun. I would like to get down there one more time this winter. What does a cabin cost a night down there?
[signature]
Fish Lake has suckers, carp, and chubs. Suckers are far more numerous than chubs or carp, but populations of chubs and carp do exist.
[signature]