Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
After a bigger steelhead...need riggins help
I'm usually the guy who won't venture into new territory...I like to stick with country that I know. I've been steelhead fishing the Salmon area for 5 years now but I'm seriously considering jumping in the RV and driving 7 hours to the Riggins area this weekend.

I'm not looking for any secrets but can somebody at least point me in the right direction? Is there a spot I can park the RV and camp or do I need to lock-in a reservation? Any different fishing techniques/methods for fishing that stretch compared to the Salmon area? Any suggestions on where to/not to fish?

I said Riggins, but I guess I'm open to any of that country...I heard Grangleville might be the place to stay?
[signature]
The only place I go to catch big steelhead is Orofino on the clearwater river. The only Idaho river to have a true B run steelhead. They are much larger on average and 20#'ers on common up there. My biggest last season was 36" and somewhere around 16#. Good luck.

And to know what and where to fish go in and talk to the guys at Camp Cabin and Home located west of Orofino on highway 12 about 3 miles outside of town. They are very knowledgeable about what to use and where to use it, they also offer all the good tackle at prices you would find in the valley.
[signature]
[quote Fishin208]And to know what and where to fish go in and talk to the guys at Camp Cabin and Home located west of Orofino on highway 12 about 3 miles outside of town. They are very knowledgeable about what to use and where to use it, they also offer all the good tackle at prices you would find in the valley.[/quote]

This location statement above is misleading... CCH is located in Lewiston on Hwy 12...not even close to Orofino.

They are for sure an excellent source of info and fishing/camping equipment.
[signature]
There's a store in Orofino too
[signature]
Oh really.....my bad. They must have just opened the Orofino store within the last couple months since my last trip up there. That's good to know....might save me a trip to Lewiston from time to time when I'm upriver and need supplies. Don't imagine the Orofino store is as large and well stocked as the main store, but still nice to have that option. Thanks for the correction.
[signature]
Dean the orofino CCH has been open since sometime last year. As far as driving seven hours to fish Riggins instead of fishing around Salmon I would say your heading the wrong direction. If you do have your heart set on coming to the Riggins area there are plenty of places above and below town to pull an RV over for the weekend. All the usual tactics work here so just fish how you feel most confident. Don't overlook the little salmon either as it should pop off any time here soon and be good fishing.
[signature]
Hey Dom....that's interesting. Never heard John or Jim, or any of the others mention this. Must be a "local" secret. [Wink]
[signature]
Yeah Dean you need to be sporting a members only jacket to shop there ;-)
[signature]
You guys are killn me....
[signature]
kjandb....sorry we hijacked your thread re: CCH. hopefully you'll get the info you need in order to put together a memorable trip.
[signature]
[font "Arial"][size 2](3-9-11)[/size][/font] Riverside Guide and Motel
[Image: steelhead11-3-06crop.JPG] [font "Arial"][size 3]Most anglers on the North Fork of the Clearwater River are catching steelhead using beads beneath a bobber. The main Clearwater is clearing up and should fish well below the North Fork. Those on the main river are side drifting.[/size][/font]
[font "Arial"][size 3]Slaughterhouse is fishing very well at this time and the area near Clear Creek Hatchery at Kooskia is producing well.[/size][/font]
[font "Arial"][size 3]There are good reports about the South Fork of the Clearwater. Bank fishermen are using bobbers and jigs. Fly anglers are doing well with beads and drift fishermen are using eggs.[/size][/font]
[font "Arial"][size 3]These are the hot spots.[/size][/font]
[font "Arial"][size 3]Call 208-476-5711 to get current conditions.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Now that this thread has almost been totally derailed lets get back on track. Sure if your after a big steelhead you might find one around riggins but the numbers of b-runs that return to the salmon river around riggins are low and even if fishing is really good your more than likely going to have to sort through a ton of smaller fish to find a big steelhead. If you want to find consistent action on big steelhead visit the clearwater and its tributaries. Towns to base your trip out of for this time of year would be Orofino, Kooskia, or Kamiah. Orofino will allow you quick access to the main as well as the N. Fork, kamiah and kooskia, will put you closer to the middle fork and south fork of the clearwater.
[signature]
Last weekend the South Fork was Chocolate Brown and High! [url "http://waterdata.usgs.gov/id/nwis/uv/?site_no=13338500&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060,00010"]http://waterdata.usgs.gov/...cd=00065,00060,00010[/url]
The water looks great for this weekend!

The Wife and I fished the confluence of the North Fork and Middle fork (dirty water mixing with clean) from a Drift boat, She killed me with her bobber and beads, I was using a 7 wt switch rod, we hooked over 30 fish and netted at least 14. Anyone that claims beads are flossing has never seen how great it is when you're able to match the hatch!
All the fish netted were between 11 lbs and 16lbs
31-37 inches some a whole lot fresher than others, we kept only 4!

More fresh B's are on their way now that Lower Granite ladder is back open

[url "http://www.nwp.usace.army.mil/environment/fcounts.asp?fr_cdy=2011&fr_cdm=2&fr_cdd=9&to_cdm=3&to_cdd=9&prj=LWG&op=runsum&subbtn=Get"]http://www.nwp.usace.army.mil/environment/fcounts.asp?fr_cdy=2011&fr_cdm=2&fr_cdd=9&to_cdm=3&to_cdd=9&prj=LWG&op=runsum&subbtn=Get[/url]
[signature]
Bead fishing certainly does have a bad rap among many steelhead anglers but as stated when fished properly and at the right times of the season they can be deadly. Beads under a float is legitimate as its nearly impossible to floss fish using floats. The guys you see on the clearwater and its tribs using spey rods with leaders as long as their rods and the strike indicator is set at 15 ft deep to fish runs that are 3-5 ft deep on places like the South fork are flossing the majority of the fish they hook............ Same thing with gear guys using beads on 9 ft leaders, totally unnecessary unless the intent is to floss.
[signature]
On my switch I've found I get the most hits When my bottom split shot ticks the bottom once every foot or two, I'm running about 10-12 inches between split shot and bead and then a second line tied off the shank of the 1st about 16 inches with a split shot in the middle then the last bead! I brought in more than I would have expected off the top bead that was most definitely suspended off the bottom in the water column. I don't think my indicator ever got more than 5 ft above my bottom hook. The drift was 4-4 1/2 ft deep

It's like spring prairie lake fishing with scuds on indicator, color and size is everything, the slightest hue change can be the difference between a bite every cast or a hit every 10th cast.
[signature]
According to Google maps its 6 hours 6 minutes from declo to Riggins or 8 hours 19 minutes to Orofino. According to the replies you might as well just put in the extra 2 hours if you want to get to those big B runs. Just pick me up on the way[Smile]
[signature]
My buddy sent me this picture last week and it is the reason I want to make the trip:

[inline bigfish.jpg]

I don't have permission to post that so I removed the face. This was caught near Riggins/Grangeville. But if they get even bigger around Orofino then that's where you'll find me. Thanks!
[signature]
Riggins/Grangeville are two potentially different areas. If he's fishing around riggins then that fish was pulled out of the main or little salmon. I would suspect that that fish was caught closer to Grangeville out of the SF of the Clearwater river in fact I would bet money on it! The whole Clearwater system and its tributaries are going to pump out the same size b-runs with a few a-runs in the mix as well. Your average fish is going to be somewhere between 10-14 lbs with larger fish thrown in here and there.
[signature]
he was offered a boat ride if he makes it to Orofino [Wink]
[signature]
How thoughtful osprey, good on you! I'm sure if your fishing by the hatchery he'll catch plenty [Smile] nice fish!
[signature]