Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for help with installation hds 10 lowrance
I need help installing my new fish finders on my boat and was wondering if any locals might have expierence with the new hds 10's. The last boat shop charged me a mint to install them and was wondering if any of you would have any suggestions on who would be good. I have 2 hds 10 with structure scan. Thanks
[signature]
What do you need help with? The HDS 10s are identical in installation as the 8s 7s or 5s. Will you be running the ethernet network only or will you have the NMEA2000 with it. What you will be paying for is a "profesional" looking install, wich you can achieve yourself with carefull work. These systems are actually quite easy to install.
[signature]
I bought 2 hds units with structure scan and down scan. I have the nmea on my boat already with lowrance units on them. Im guessing the gps i have now will work with my new units. Im horrible at installing electronic stuff. I also have the ram mount stuff for them.. Thanks mike for the reply
[signature]
Which lowrance stuff do you alread have? If its newer then the power cables and the transducers will work with the HDS and you will only have to wire the structure scan box in. The only downside is the hds wont power the nmea2000 and you will have to use a power node, wich I will have a brand new one for sale soon[Wink]. I used all the existing stuff from my lms units and still have the hds transducers and power cables in the box. The worst part of installing the SS is the transducer. I have mine mounted as a skimmer about 4 inches from my 200/83 kz ducers to use the overlay option properly. If you have any questions let me know.
[signature]
Wait, you can afford two, count 'em two, HDS-10's with the latest "structure scan", but are trying to save a couple hundred bucks on installation? [shocked] If you're unsure on installation, why skimp and take a chance on having a few thousand dollars worth of sonar/gps not working to its fullest?[unimpressed]

And yes, I'm terribly jealous. [Wink]

If you have RAM systems, that's the way to go. Replace the transducers if necessary, and mount the new ones just like your current ones. Splice the new power wires where your current ones are.

What units are being replaced? A picture might help.
[signature]
I have an lcx 27 c at console and lms 522 c up front and a 3000 gps puck. Yes i know they are bucco bucks to buy and why would I skimp on installation? Last time i bought my units it cost me as much to install them as to buy them. I just felt like i was taken advantage of and that is why i am asking for advice on a good installer that i can trust. Thanks for the replies..
[signature]
If you are just looking to have them installed then take it to lees marine in Hyrum. He is by far the most knowlegable and honest boat mechanic around. He will treat you good and you know the price you are getting is fair and honest. Its a drive for most people, but well worth it. If you spent that much you might as well get the sonic hub too, installing on my boat now, freakin awsome! Oh.... and a quick look on the website just confirmed what I was thinking. Walk outside, unplug old Lowrances, plug in HDSs. They come with the EXACT same transducers and power cables. Trust me, just go to Lowrances website and look at the cables that came with your old ones and the ones that came with the HDSs.... same part number and all. You could plug em in and launch tomorow! You just have to install the structure scan, wich is way easy. The only "electrical" thing you have to do is give it 12v off its own dedicated switch. But dont pay someone to do the head units, just screw in the RAMs and your read to go.
[signature]
What about my starting battery. Will i need more than 1? Will that sonic hub suck my battery quicker. Or for that matter will the 2 10 inchers draw more power? Great advice... Thanks a ton for your time.
[signature]
Send me a PM and I'll help you out. I have a lot of experience installing electronics and sonars.
[signature]
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!
Every thing you add will suck up power from your starting battery. Since I switched to a 29 series deepcycle/starting battery I havent had any problems. The 10s are LED back lit, I think they actually use less than a five. Its the back light in the color screens that kill your battery. If you put the sonic hub on your boat it wont use up any more battery than a regular stereo. Actually less, because your display on your HDS is now your head unit, which you are using for sonar anyway. I always turn the voltage on my displays. That way I can watch if my voltage drops too much and need to start the boat. I can go usually about 8-9 hours running 3 HDS 5s and SS and livewells and bilge occationaly before I need to start the boat. But I also use a 3 bank charger that tops off the starting batterys as well when its in the garage. A short run back to the marina at the end of the day wont charge most batteries up that have had a constant load on them like that.
[signature]
Mike, thanks a ton for your posts.
[signature]
I'd second Lee in Hyrum. But as Mike said, plug and play the new ones right in.
[signature]
Thanks jim
[signature]
Will the LSS-1 Box and Transducer function with all Lowrance Color units that are Nema2000?
Or is the HDS graph required also, to provide full functionality.
[signature]
The structure scan does not run off of NMEA200, it uses the ethernet network. The HDS displays are the only ones capable of running the structure scan box. They do have some pretty neat Downscan only sonars out now for cheaper than the structure scan box.
[signature]
I just got the HDS 7 and my son hooked it up for me, can't wait to use it...The 10's just looked to big for the place I wanted to put it...
[signature]
The only thing I'll add is a precaution on your down and side scan switch. "DO NOT" forget to turn it off at the end of the day. You will wake up to a dead cranking battery.
Found that out the hard way on a tourney last year [blush] I guess thats why I allways take a spare battery.
[signature]