Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choosing the Official California Saltwater Sportfish

Hey there guys,

If you had your choice of what fish you wanted to be California's marine or saltwater sportfish, what species would you choose?

I thinking of trying to get the California legislature, thru the Long Beach Senatorial District, to support my proposal to have the California Sheephead named as the Official California Marine or Ocean Sportfish. Why?

1) It is a unique fish with a unique life style.

2) The word California is in it's name.

3) Limited in Distribution to Southern California and a bit South.

4) It is a prized food fish and a very good fighter.

5) It is dimural and found close to rocky shores and kelp beds of which California is famous.

***No wise cracks about the gender change business!***

Do you agree or do you have other canidates?

The California State Ocean fish is the Garibaldi and is a cute little (actually grows to 14 inches) tropical fish like creature that does nothing to promote sportfishing of which Southern California is famous.

I think we could have both. Some states have a species of Salmon and name that as both fresh and saltwater state fish.

Appreciate your input and hope you offer to help out if you can.

JapanRon
[signature]
calicojoe says calico bass! it is native to california! awesome looking fish! great fighter on light tackle! very tasty flesh! and it is one of the most fished species in california!and uhh.............. sorry guys can't think of anything else.

joe
[signature]
I guess I am alittle Confused [crazy] As you know a state symbol is illegal to posses or catch or anything, flowers,bird or fish.

So why would you want to take away a good eating sportsfish? or further limit the type of local fish we could catch? Like I said I am Confused.

If I was to choose something as a symbol it would be for protection. Like a shark species or something. They help regulate the fish in the ocean yet commercial fisherman almost brought certain species to extinction. Also these sportsfishing charters I have seen doing " shark trips "

Some of these shark's the catch are very small and never reached there full potential. So I guess I would make it a Mako or Blue. Lots of those around and I feel they can be over fished.

I hope that made sense! [crazy]
[signature]
Black Sea Bass or the Spotted bay bass!

In reply to your post the Golden Trout is our other state fish and you are allowed to catch and take them.[crazy]

Aaron
[signature]
I wasn't aware of the rule where you couldn't possess and a state fish. I thought it was just because the garabahldi or however you spell it was endangered or some stupid stuff like that. oh well.... see ya

joe
[signature]

Hi fishfather,

As I was very careful to use the term 'sportfish' as opposed to the 'state fish', the 'state sportfish' need not be the same, nor both protected. If you notice the other 47 states that have an official ocean or marine state fish, all those fish are official state fish, not protected but represent the states favorite or major 'game or sportfish'. As a matter of fact, the Garibaldi 'state fish' is not only protected but the poor little thing is also set to be put on the endangered species list. Darn aquarium fish hunters.

Just like the other states seem to feel, a gamefish or sportfish one could go after and is representative of what can be caught in a particular state might attract both state citizens and tourists anglers alike. Kind of a they're grown here pride promotion.

Hope that re-stating the 'sportfish' term elimanates any confusion to 'state fish'.

JapanRon
[signature]
[size 2]Ah. I was mis informed. I was told usually in the past usually states choose a state symbol then it s protected by law.[/size]

[size 2] [/size]
[signature]
Greetings japanron: Great question! For your perusal the following are State emblems: Grizzly Bear(animal) 1953, California Quail(Bird) 1931, Golden Trout ( Fish) 1947, Poppy(Flower 1903, Dogface Butterfly (Insect) 1972, Gray Whale, Garabaldi (Marine Fish) Redwood (Tree) Desert Tortoise.
etc. Personally, I'm with you with the sportfish catagory, although, historically, the most prevalent fished sportfish is the kelp bass (calico). The one I would sentamentally want is the White Sea Bass. And how about the one that's always available.. the sculpin. Tough decision.
[signature]

Hi there hd_tubinaaron,

The California Giant Black Sea Bass is out of contention because it's a protected species just like the Garibaldi. Official state marine sportfish inplies somthin' you can catch legally.

Do know what I said about the golden trout but if it's up to the Trout Unlimited people, the golden trout is going to be but on the endangered list and there will be no more fishing for them in two different watersheds. They want to keep the strains pure. With nature involved, good luck Charlie! ha ha The DFG plants them in the lakes Waaaaaaaay up in the mountians.

So they finally have started to close El Dorado at 7pm again! Bummer! It's back to fishing the PCH canals for me! ha ha

Spotted Bay Bass are cool. He goes on my list.

JapanRon
[signature]

Hi gvanzant,

Your much appreciated suggestions go into the pot. I am someone willing to do the footwork on this idea but if the idea really took off, I'm sure I'd be left in the dust by those big ol dogs but it'll be interesting to see how far we can get along with it.

California has so many more pressing things to worry about I'm sure something like this will take a lot of time and effort to promote.

All suggestions welcome.

JapanRon
[signature]
PCH canals???? You ever fish the cliffs in between Poitn Fermin and Point Vincente???? One of my friends fishes there every once in a while and says that the boiler rocks are loaded with WSB!! Just need to find out exactly where and how to get there!~

Aaron

Lets go fishing somewhere soon!
[signature]

Hi there dh_tubinaaron,

Good to hear from ya! Boiler Rocks! Oh Man.... All I can imagine is me being sucked under those boiler rocks (tube or no tube) and never, ever, ever coming back up again. With the freak waves and unfamiliar area, I ain't fishin' around that area without my 'sky hooks' ready to whisk me out of harms way. That area is dangerous! As you know all too well. Still........

JapanRon
[signature]
It didn't look like he was in any danger where he was fisihng, it was like a flat plateau about 3 feet above the water line, he says it is safe to fish there??? I still wanna try that area out from shore and over next to Cabrillo beach from the jetty.

Aaron
[signature]
hey arron if you get a chance try that area you mentioned there are some nice calicos and large suclpin out there its a really big reef only about 15' deep a 1/4 mile out theres white point area that has some good fishing also

chris
[signature]
[size 2]I would concur with JR. Use extreme caution when fishing around rocks. All it takes is one knucklehead to wake you or a rogue wave and you can find yourself in trouble.[pirate][/size]

[size 2] I love fishing as much as the next guy but I am not willing to die for it![Wink] ( Unless I caught a 40" Halibut )[/size]
[signature]
hEY fish father,

U busy this sunday??? The Rest of the Dh tubin crew and I along with some of the other rejects are going to tube somewhere, site undetermined and I want to have it be a tourney, for the most fish caught or something 10 dollar buy in, winner takes all.

We have had some experiences with wakes in Long Beach Harbor, in the main harbor!!! Seals, jet skis the works!!!

Aaron
[signature]
Where do you guys launch and what time? It is alittle early to commit for me but shoot me a PM with the info and I will try to make it.[Wink]

Tide info for Sunday is good. Low Tide is at 5:30am with High Tide close to 12pm! Perfect conditions.

Let me know[cool]
[signature]
Cool, not many options, with the red tide being everywhere probably Alamitos bay where the girls lay out on the beach off of second street around 6:00????? [crazy] We're not 100% sure but we are working on the details

Aaron
[signature]
hey aaron, lets try belmont. I will try to get the guy that me and chris met at mission bay to come by too. he is always at belmont. but that red tide is still pretty bad, so i dont know.
see ya

joe
[signature]
Sup Joe,

Alamitos Bay??? You, me , chris, Jess??, Greg??, fishfather??, JAPAN RON?????????

10 dollar buy in for the most????? or the biggest (ILLEGAL SAND BASS)

Aaron
[signature]