Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wipers in other lakes in Utah
I'm hoping Drew will chime in on this one, I didn't want to hijack another post where this issue was brought up.

Just so you know I do fish for wipers and understand why the DWR is stocking them in waters with high forage fish reproduction.

And your right they are one of my favorite fish to eat and catch.

How soon will the decisions be made to put wipers in piute,Otter Creek and Minersville?

How many wipers are going to be stocked in willard?And is the rumor true you wont be having any more problems getting plenty of wipers to stock?

Thanks fnf[cool]
[signature]
As far as I'm concerned the decision has already been made. We just need the fish. We have purchased wipers for years and years from Arkanas. Last year we experimented with white bass and striped bass last year and they have both been health approved. There is a timing issue between the two species but our researchers have been able to extend the milt at least two weeks so we think we have the time issue covered. A group of us will be going down to the Hite area the first week of May and collecting striped bass milt and hopefully eggs and then stopping by Utah Lake and getting white bass eggs and milt if we need it and then the fertilized eggs will go to our Springville Hatchery for incubation.

We may still purchase wiper fry from Arkansas just to make sure that we cover all our basis. We have some ponds in the Northern Region that we will use for growing out some fry a little larger just for Willard Bay to ensure that we stock our quota (which we haven't been able to do for the last couple of years). We will also stock fry in Willard as well and hopefully compare survival of fry and fingerlings so we can maximize our management in the future. If things work out we will stock mostly fry throughout the state and stock higher rates of smaller fish. Other states back east have this down to a science and we will be in contact with them throughout this transition.

This will be a first in Utah and I am sure we will have a learning curve but based on last years experiments I have confidence.

Drew
[signature]
That's great news! Can you post up when you have made your first stockings, three to five years later should be fish on and I can mark my calendar.[fishin]

That's really interesting,So do you have traps in tributaries at Powell to collect the striper's and the same at utah lake for the white bass. Just curious?

I know you have been having trouble stocking them at willard it is pretty far out of balance and the fish in there right now have plenty to eat,But they will have grown allot this last few years and big fish should be showing up very soon. average fish for me was around 17-19 they should be 20+ this year right? also caught allot of 12-14 inchers they seemed to be the fish boiling the most and would not hit my offerings as readily as if you found a school of the bigger fish. But even then it was a crap shot if you had the right size bait on.

I sure hope you guys get it right.It would be great to see more and bigger wiper in the future,

Thanks for all you do.

fnf[cool]
[signature]
I am thrilled to hear that the wipers may make an appearance in Minersville. I've advocated them since the change to artificial only regs. What a perfect fish. Sterile. Strong. Only half of the chromosomes coming from white bass. And only half coming from stripers. The best of both worlds. Knock the chubs back. Add a fishery that can be managed.
[signature]
Ya know, I have never broke a rod fishing untill I trolled cranks for wiper. Three rods later have taught me to have a light touch on the drag[crazy]. A wiper was also the first fish to spool me twice (27"). Good luck to the state on growing them and cant wait to see the results! Taste great smoked and grilled, cant complain[cool].
[signature]
Wipers are for me, the best fish in Utah. Looking forward to the other Lakes being populated.[cool]
[signature]
I know how that feels,the one in my avatar is 27 1/4" I caught it on the cast and when it hit I knew it was big but didn't know how big until it straight lined me heading for deep water on the other side of my boat what a thrill it was when I finally so it, probably the most exciting fish caught to date.there has to be fish in Willard pushing 30" mark but they are smart and have probably been hooked more than once and don't just hit anything anymore.Like every year I have another lure I want to try on them this year. will see what happens.
I'm down one pole,numerous lures that where broken off early on when I was using 8lb test,10lb test and 12lb test,I now use firline tied straight to a snap clip, have had allot of hooks from pulled open snap rings. LOL there a blast to catch,like hooking a freight train doing sixty.A light drag is defiantly a must.
[signature]
Ya you sure have to set up just for the wipers IMHO. I tie straight to the lure, one less thing to go wrong. I have a bait caster set rigged with a the mighty SS Jr directly tied to 10lb test strictly for boils and another as back up ready to go when boil fishing.
My trolling polls are strung with heavier line and I swing the smaller ones right into the cooler cause the net gets so dang tangled up with the way they fight. Don't think I'd try that with the 22"++ ones though.
Can't wait for summer...
[signature]
This is the EXACT reason that white bass are a mistake in Deer Creek. Everyone who has ever caught a decent wiper is hooked. But the reason that wipers get big is because their numbers can be controlled. And they can be controlled a HECK of a lot cheaper and easier than trying to raise feeder fish for an unlimited supply of white bass that cannot be stopped from spawning. Big white bass at 23 or 24 inches and over 4 pounds would be great. But you can't afford to even try to feed them enough to grow that big. Wipers on the other hand will grow that big and the numbers kept in check so that the food supply will allow good growth.
[signature]
I agree totally with what your saying, white bass have never had a problem surviving no matter how many are taken out of Utah lake, and I have seen some groups take out truck beds full of them in the past.

Deer creek will be a totally different lake in the future if they get a foot hold.which will probably happen.
[signature]
Drew can you use milt and eggs from both species ?

I thought there was a specific combination used when hybridizing fish ?
[signature]
Palmetto bass are the wipers from striped bass eggs and white bass milt. These are larger when they hatch and easier to get on food. The problem with them is that striped bass females are difficult find and hard to spawn. They don't do well in captivity and most often wild brood fish are used.

Sunshine bass are the wipers from the striped bass milt and white bass eggs. These are easier to make because white bass female are predictable and striped bass males in the north end of Lake Powell are predictable as well. The issue with this cross is the fry are smaller and don't go on food as well. However other states have started using this cross and stocking fry instead of attempting to get them started on food in a hatchery setting.

We will use both crosses as the opportunity arises.

Drew
[signature]
Hey Drew, when you grow both hybrid crosses do they look different? Do they both grow to the same size when fully grown? Thanks for all the info on the new wiper lakes. I just hope it all works out and there are enough wipers to go around.
[signature]
I'd like to commend FishnFool for starting the post and for Nate to be willing to provide the facts behind the questions.

This is what makes BFT a great resouce - right there!

Good questions, great answers, down to the facts of the matter. Makes me wish I was still a biologist and not a programmer!!!

I saw my first boils last year, and my son and I landed our first and only Wiper to date. (crawdad crankbait trolling from the lightpole to s.marina - "full speed") It was a 'smallie' by standards, but I still thought I was snagged on a rock. Then it moved.... son was SO excited he had to call Mom right from the lake and let her know.

Sure hope to get 'on them' again. Willards a tuff challenge sometimes. But it keeps drawing me back (glutton for it).
Thanks for all the great info. Good luck with your milt-egg merges! We're rooting for ya is all I can say!
The efforts are much appreciated!

Son was so excited -
I need to pick up some of them SS jr's I here everyone talking about them when the boils come on but have never really had any problem getting fish to bite when there boiling except this last year they where so picky and that would be just another option to go to. I usually use exactly what I troll with during the day and it works most the time, I also use strictly 12lb fireline on all my rods while fishing for wipers and have my drags set light.unless I am casting then I go a little tighter so I get a good hook set.
I was having the same problem with netting wipers so I purchased a net that has the nylon netting but is dipped in a rubber compound so the hooks don't get buried in the nylon net.
this is a pic of it from last year. I don't like the rubber trampoline nets but some do and they save allot of time unhooking fish when there boiling.
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=64980]
[signature]
Thanks CS when it comes to wipers I am always trying to get more knowledge of how to catch them and what lakes there planted in, I would fish newcastle more but with it being four hours away it's just not a good option with the price of fuel these days.

and thank you again Nate for all the detailed replies.

BFT is the best place for up to date and accurate information. hands down! there is not a better place to hang out.

If you are out fishing this summer when I am there I would be more than happy to show you what I know and give you info on where the fish are if i am having any luck, I usually monitor my marine radio channel 16 and then switch to 68 to talk about whats going on. I will be putting an onboard radio in this spring so I will have my handheld for sale very soon if any are interested I wiil put the details on the for sale board.

fnf
[signature]
This was a very good subject to to talk about. I love to get out to Willard for the Wipers and I have always wished that they would get some more size and weight to them. Good Luck to Drew and his crew.
[signature]
There are big wipers in there. [Wink] But numbers are fun to and how can you not Smile when three or all four pole go off at the same time.

see ya on the water and say hi if you see me and I will do the same.

fnf[cool]
[signature]
fishinfool, I will be glad to swing by and say hi anytime . I have my my boat pretty well fixed except for a couple of small things I'm taking care of right now. I'll be in a Yellow / White Searay old style.
[signature]
I love wipers they are some of the best fighting fish i've ever caught for there size. They taste awsome as well. Never had one spool me though, had a laker that almost did it at the gorge, However that was a lot bigger then a wiper. Ya spool up good and be prepared for a fight when you hook one of those guys trolling!
[signature]