Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bass bugs bass bugs
Ok as promised on another thread here are some bass bugs to tie up and chase them critters with.

Attached you will find scans of articles from two magazines. Fly Tyer Autumn 1995 and Fly Tying Spring 1998.

The purpetrator came out of the Fly Tyer. It imitates a plastic worm. The other magazine had patterns for bream such as the pumkinseed, perch, and bluegill.
All were fun to tie. Also added are pics of the flies too!

Feel free to add any other patterns you might have!!![cool]
[signature]
thank you for this post... those are some awesome looking flies...

does the purpetrator have to be in purple.. I think I have some brown and green at home that I can use without needing to buy more material...

love that pumpkinseed... but I think it might be a bit beyone my skill level... but have you ever tried tying that or the gill with fish skulls..??

There is also another pattern that is called the [url "http://www.mwflytying.com/patterns/bi_polar.html"]bi-polar worm[/url] ... and here is one called the [url "http://www.catching-shadows.com/catching-shadows/Home.html"]beach comber tied by Rich Strollis[/url] that uses the fish skull...

MacFly [cool]

MacFly
[signature]
I would think any color that the bass like in any particular waer would work. When I tied the bream I had only been tying for a couple of years. It took me about 30-45 minutes to tie each of them. The instructions in the article are easy enough to follow.
[signature]
Ill check back on the articles.... maybe give it a try but thats after the purpenator... :-)...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Very nice flies!

I have used the worm flies for a couple of years now, but I get a lot of missed strikes on them. I am thinking of putting a small stinger hook on the tail. Have you had the same experience?
[signature]
Haven't had the chance to use them yet.[Wink] Maybe soon. I am interested in picking up a fly rod just for bass but not sure what size to get. I was thinking 7/8 around 9 ft.
[signature]
a 7/8 might be a bit heavy.. I bought a sage launch a while back in a 6 wt.. and the first fish I ever caught on a fly was a bass and that was on a 6 wt.. I think its plenty of rod for the job plus you get the benefit of it being a good all around wt for most of what you may hook into.. also sage carries a series of rods to replace the launch among other rods and one of them is designed just for bass.. maybe a little pricey but a great rod for the money...

MacFly
[signature]
I too have caught Bass on a 6 wt. and it was fine. I think the main reason for a specialty rod, would be because of the sized of flies, and the vegetation where bass are found.
Personally, I wouldn't go with a 9'er for that reason. Redington (Predator) and Sage both make specialty Bass rods. They are like 7'11" long. They are rated by Grain, like spey rods. I will be getting the Bluegill rod someday, sweet stick and I like the length.
[signature]
thats the series of rods they came out with not long after discontinuing the launch series correct...

I had no idea the were 7'11".... to me that is all the more reason to get one.... but the finance manager would have my head on a silver platter if I suggested it.. LOL..

And Im still thinking those tenkara you posted last week... the mid range one that was like 90.00... can see that on the streams in TN this summer.. LOL..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I just use my regular 5wt and really haven't had a problem with casting the bugs etc., but I don't have a lot of really heavily weighted stuff. It has landed some nice sized fish in the past. I have even caught a few smaller ones on my 3wt when I didn't have anything else with me!

There are probably some good specialty rods out there, but for me I like to keep things as simple as possible. Maybe ignorance is bliss as I haven't ever cast one. If I tried one I would get a major case of the "I wants"!

Seems like someone else was getting a bass rod not long ago on this forum. You might look back a little ways.
[signature]
Well, those are like opposite ends of the spectrum (Tenkara and Bass rod)
But both have their place. You know, you watch any of the North Fork Outdoors videos where Dave is fishing and you will notice he pretty much uses the Bluegill Sage exclusively.
The rod I have been sitting on and final finished is an 8' 6wt, fast glass, It would be a cool Bass rod, but I am breaking it in on Carp.
[signature]
I know they are opposite ends of the spectrum.. I was just commenting on the "I want one" for a tenkara... especially since I can carry it in my hip pocket and be on the fish in five minutes...

Id also like that sage gill, or sage bass rods... but finance managers dont see it that way...LOL..

is this glass rod the black one??? either way Id love to see some pictures of the final product... :-)

MacFly[cool]
[signature]
here is another site with the [url "http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/patterns6.asp?page=15"]instructions on the purpetrator.[/url].. .and have to say it is very very similar to the bi-polar worm... only difference I can see is that is not marabou or hackle tied in on the bi-polar...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Okay, I have been stewing this in my head as my gear is all packed up for the Utah Fly Tying Expo this weekend, so I have not done this personally.

Macfly asked me if you could just attach a stinger hook to the end of the Chenille. I agree with his concern that Chenille isn't strong enough.

Sooooo, I will try to explain my thinking. Use Kevlar thread which you can get at any fly fishing supplier, or Spyder Wire. They are both like fabric feeling material and limper than using mono.
Now take a piece of either, attach it to the main hook before you add anything else.
By attach I mean, the length of the hook, use your tying thread and tie it in like wire or ribbing, down the sides of the hook. Cover it good with thread and it will not pull out. The piece needs to be long enough that you can fold it and have it as long as the chenille tail will be.
Attach the other end of the Kevlar or Spyder to the other sideof the hook so you now have a long loop off the back (again, the length of the chenille tail.)
Now, build the fly the way you normally would. When you are all done including that little marabou tuft on the end.
Take a straight eye or a down eye stinger hook. Thread the loop of Kevlar or Spyder through the eye of the stinger hook from the top of the hook.
Lay the chenille tail on the top of the hook
Take the loop over the back of the hook on top of the tip of the chenille tail and pull the stinger hook tight. What I am thinking is the tuft of marabou and end of the chenille are now under a loop of kevlar or Spyder and the hook secure.

Does this make sense?
[signature]
yes and no...lol...

by spyderwire you are talking the spyder wire fishing line correct...

also.. you lost me on the loop connection..

here is what I picture.. you created this loop... then you finish the main fly as albino suggested... then...

you get a smaller down eye hook and hook it onto the loop...

now here is where I get lost.. how do you cover the kevlar with the chenille and attach it all to the stinger at the same time??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I will try to take some pictures, cause I Know this would work. And yes, the cloth like fishing line.
[signature]
that would help me a lot...LOL.. you know Im a visual kind of guy... :-)...

but I was thinking of a single line instead of a loop... ??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Okay, here is the Kevlar tied into front hook:

[Image: IMG_3529.jpg]

Tail and start to the front fly:

[Image: IMG_3534.jpg]

Finish fly:

[Image: IMG_3535.jpg]

Thread stinger hook from the top:

[Image: IMG_3537.jpg]

Pull the loop over the stinger hook

[Image: IMG_3538.jpg]

Tuck tail under loop:

[Image: IMG_3540.jpg]

With the stinger hook in the vise, pull the fly tightening the Kevlar....finished

[Image: IMG_3547.jpg]
[signature]
I see said the blind fly tyer (me)... I had a single strand of the kevlar weaved into the tail in mind... that would eliminate that dangling loop under the tail section.. ....

MacFly
[signature]
That is a small hook that you are using (could be the photo making it look small). I used the size 1 hook, the same that I used in tying the three bream in the other patterns ( I had to mail order the hook at the time not finding it locally).
Haveing used plastic worms on a 2/0 offset worm hook I have never found that a stinger would be needed on this fly. The bass would engulf it completely, they don't nibble at the tail like trout do. I would be interested to see how it would work in catching the fish.
[signature]