Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ammo question
Ok I am going to go out and purchase a .40 S & W. Just wondering what brand of ammo to go with. Lots out there to choose from. What are everyones opinions out there. I picked up two boxes of magtech 180 grain FMC to use on the range. Any suggestion on a protection round? So far I have had a cop suggest Speer Gold Dot and a collector/gun smith suggest Remington Golden Saber.
[signature]
I use the Hydra-Shok JHP from Federal Premium. Obviously not something you want to shoot as a daily plinking round but its more than adequate to handle your personal defense needs.
[signature]
You can usually find FMJ target rounds online cheaper than at the local store. Sportsmans Guide, ableammo.com, places like that. The only thing to consider is you usually have to buy bulk in order to get a really good price. Most of the cheaper target ammo, like the Winchester White Box stuff at Walmart, is dirty and in fact cheaply made. But, it is reliable and i've never had a problem with any of them. Make sure the .40 you get is a Glock. [Wink]

For home protection or self defense, honestly, any hollow point round will do. NEVER!!! carry a full metal jacket as a self defense round. The biggest reason is, if you miss your target, or you hit your target at close range, the bullet will more times than not keep traveling through and beyond it's initial contact. that means into your neighbors house, or into the innocent guy 20 meters behind the guy you shot that was trying to rob you at the 711. Hollow points expand and are much less likely to cause collateral damage, and are much more likely to mortally wound the a-hole you shot. that's a pro tip, right that down.

My personal preference in self defense ammo, however, are Winchester Supreme Elite PDX1 hollow points. They are the non-lublox-coated version of the black talons that Winchester pulled off the market in 2000, however perform identically. Unlike a standard hollow point, they claw out when expanded, and cause incredible damage. When my life, or my wife, or my son's life is on the line, and I am in a position to legally use deadly force, I do not want the threat I engage to get back up.
[signature]
After checking around I found cabelas had a great deal on some magtech fmj. I picked up several boxes to take on the range. I also picked up a box of Remington golden saber rounds.
[signature]
Ok I picked up a 9mm today and need to know about the ammo here. I see that they have three different powder grains available. 115, 124, and 147. Which is the best for range and protection rounds?
[signature]
Those grains are not in reference to the powder, but to the weight of the bullet. Go with the heavier round. It will have more knock down power.

They also make +P ammo in 9mm. +P stands for "over pressurized" ammunition. It's going to be a hotter charge, so it's going to be a faster round, and a bit more snappy with recoil. Before you go with +P ammo, however, make sure the manufacturer of the firearm you have approves the use of +P ammo in the specific model firearm you have.

On that note, What type of pistol did you get?
[signature]
Thanks that helps alot. I was thinking of using the 115 but may go for the 124 or 147. I purchased a hi point 9 mm. It fit in my budget.
[signature]
Ahhhhh, the infamous hi point. This is normally where I make fun of you, but I understand the budget thing with the economy the way it is. [cool]

The fact is, they are ugly, heavy, and clanky. But, they are very accurate (fixed barrel) and go bang when you pull the trigger. (most of the time) A cheap gun is better than no gun, and because of the weight of it, if it ever fails you, you can always club the hell out of them. [sly]

I would not use +P ammo in that Hi Point, just an FYI. But, definately go with the 147 grain ammo. It makes a difference, and it shouldn't cost any more money, if it's the same make and model ammo.

One very good thing about Hi Point is that their customer service and warranty service is actually top notch. There are also many torture test that can be found on youtube.com in regards to the hi point. They are pretty tough, and continue to shoot through some harse conditions and wear. They also have VERY LIGHT recoil, because of their weight, so it's not a chore to shoot, even in the larger calibers. But, they tend to not shoot consistently, which is what you really need in a weapon that is being used exclusively for self defense. Once you get comfortable with this gun, and you get serious about self defense, or maybe you decide to humor a concealed carry permit, jump back on the boards. We'll help you find a defense worthy pistol in your price range.

Congrats on your purchase though. Guns are like Tatoos, once you get one, you want more. [cool]
[signature]
I do have a permit. Had it since 1997. A future purchase may entail a revolver but way down the road. I already have a hi point. .40 S & W. I agree on the bulkiness of it but I liked the way it shot so I got the 9 mm for concealment and also something the wife can handle if necessary. Possibly in the future I may be able to upgrade. [cool]

Ok the 147 for defense. Use the same for range as well or go lighter?
[signature]