Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Togiak FLoat Tube
Got the OK to get a new float tube the other day. I ended up purchasing the Togiak. I'm itching to get home and try it out. Got a lot of new mods in mind for it. Any suggestions from the group?
[signature]
ROD/TOOL HOLDERS AND MOTOR MOUNT>......LOL that should cover it <'}}}}}}<
[signature]
OK I agree on the rod and tool holders but I am in fairly decent shape and could use tubing as an excuse for a workout somedays. So I am gonna save the motor mount for my later years which are WAY down the road. Good thought though. Also gotta add the fish basket, net, and fish finder mount. I'm gonna have fun when I finally get to these modifications.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Basically a good tube. But not all tubes are created equal. Quite a few variables in pocket sizes, number of D rings, how you want to attach things, etc.

I am away from home base for a few days but if you will PM me after about the 10th of April I can send you some pictures and suggestions that should help you get properly pimped.

Lots of good pics in the past posts and archives to give you some ideas of options. After that you get down to a personalized setup.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I also recently acquired a Togiak (new for $20!) and I love it. Now I need to get it pimped out! I'm not looking to put a motor mount for right now and the main mod I wanna do will be for rods and maybe a net but no tools since I wear a fishing vest. Don't have the money yet for a fish finder. Let us know what you come with and I'll be sure to post pics when my ideas finally come to life too.
[signature]
I've got some good ideas from looking at others modifications they have posted. The rod holder will be one of the first things to be made. What is the best size of PVC pipe to use? Last time I tried to go with two different sizes and I think that was a bit of a mistake. Once I build that its time to aquire some more tools and then build a tool rack for them on the tube.
How is the seat? Do you think it might be smart to mod the seat a little bit?

Any suggestions and pictures will help TD. As always it is appreciated. You can take your time though. I still have roughly a month to go out here in this desert. I am having a blast reading your tubing book and going through everyones previous posts. Studying like crazy so when its time to take a dip I am ready. I almost feel like I am back in school doing a research paper. Only this time its fun.[cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000bf]Most rod handles are about 1"...cork or foam. There are 2 types of PVC tubes...schedule 40 and class 200. The former has much thicker walls and is designed for plumbing installations for higher water pressure. Class 200 is the same outside diameter and takes the same 1" PVC fittings, but has thinner walls and will take 1" rod handles. If you use schedule 40 PVC pipe for your rods you will need to go up to the 1 1/4" tube size. Much bigger and heavier.

Home Depot no longer carries class 200 but Lowes usually does. Otherwise you may need to check with a sprinkler and irrigation supply.

I have just completed new PDF writeups on PVC construction and on Rod Holders. The latest one is over 40 pages and has over 120 pictures. Lots of installation ideas...my own and other members. I will be happy to send it to members who request it but not going to post it on public forum. PM me after 4/10
[/#0000bf]
[signature]
I haven't found anything wrong with the seat, other than the fact that I simply cannot fit the foam inserts into the seat. I know it says in the instructions that it will be a tight fit, but I'm not even close! It still works just fine though.

I'm just about done with my rod/net rack, just gotta pick up a few more joints from Lowes. Hopefully I get the chance tonight and I can post pics.
[signature]
[cool][#6000bf]You gotta get the seats in and you gotta get 'em in right. That process is tough on a new tube. Best to start by airing up the tube completely...without the seats...to stretch things out a bit. Now deflate to about 1/3. Next spray some water inside the pockets that will hold the foam seats and also wet the first of the two pieces of foam.

Lay the tube on a flat surface and begin working the first piece of foam into the pocket...facing left to right...not front to back. Push and stretch until you get it past the front and it will slide down to the front easier. Now repeat for the second piece. Do not trim the foam. It needs to fit snugly to compensate for natural compression during use.

Be patient and work slowly and it will go together.
[/#6000bf]
[signature]
Well lets see, how many rods do you want to carry with you on the water? What tools do you have or are planning on carrying? My tool racks have all the same think in common. Spots for lip grippers, pliers, and a fillet knife for cutting up bait. I have in the past added a spot for a side cutter pliers but removed it when I found I really didn't use it. Also you will need a place for your net. From there it is all creativity to get it all to fit your craft.[cool]
[signature]
Quote:Lay the tube on a flat surface and begin working the first piece of foam into the pocket...facing left to right...not front to back

That could be part of my problem, I was trying front to back.
[signature]
So, how did you get it to work at all? One piece?
Check this out, all foam seats are the same.

http://www.outcastboats.com/outcast/imag...at_LCS.pdf
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Actually, the dimensions of the two pieces side by side are about the same. But if you put them in front to back you increase the potential for sag and slippage in the middle.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Just got back to my home computer. Here are some pics. Again, wet the pieces down and be patient. Lots of pushing needed to get them started.[/#0000ff]
[signature]