Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do I need?
Okay, I figure since I live in MN and we have some of the greatest ice-fishing in the world, I might as well give it a try this year. So, my question is this.

What do I need to get as a newbie?

The way I see it, I might as well slowly stock up on required equipment. I've already got some nifty boots that'll be used but that's about it. I love these boots! Comfort rating of -100°F and waterproof nearly up to my knees. Yeehaa!!! I can see me now. Sitting on the edge of the hole, feet splashing around in the ice-cold water.
[signature]
first thing you will need is a 5 gallon bucket.

with this you will carry your fish home, it doubles as a seat while you are fishing.
[signature]
with this kind of fishing you realy need a fishing buddy of sorts. there are many safety reasons to concider.
[signature]
[Smile] Most of the tackle shops that you live by , will be getting their ice fishing stuff out in late Oct . Depends how much money you have to spend , is the determing factor on what to get ! First you need a bucket like Dave said , then you need a jig rod , or if you can spend more , a icefishing rod and reel setup ! Then its smart to start filling your tackle box up with jigs that fits what your fishing for ! A hand auger will do for the begining of the season , but when the ice gets over 20 inches , it a pain !!! POWER AUGER !!! If you can hook up with another person , you can maybe go out and he'll have a house you can share . I always say that icefisherman are the most inventable people around , and if you look at a sporting good store , you'll know what I mean !!!! LOL!! Comon up here rat , my friends say I have enough stuff for several people , I'll take ya out !!!

Flagmanonice.......
[signature]
buddy if I can hit that lottery you can expect me to pull up a bucket.

I like to see how the new auger of yours works to boot. I was wondering if you got enouth drill or do you have to stop half way and put on an extention?

this last winter I almost bottomed out my drill. it was nice to get out before christmas too, that is always a treat. it was a shame to get kicked back off the ice due to the lake opening back up for a couple weeks.
[signature]
This is off the subject but the most ice ive ever cut through was 36" with a power auger and 42" with a hand auger. Talk about HELL!!
[signature]
[cool] Hey there DDR, Don't forget to keep your worms warm. haa haa.
[signature]
[Tongue] Hey TubeN2 , We keep the worms in our mouths , thatway they stay warm and wiggly !!!! LOL !!!!! NOT !!!!!!

Flagmanonice....
[signature]
bud I know what you are saying there, the most ice that I did not attempt to cut through was 4 1/2 - 5 foot of ice we had here in michigan in the winter of 77-78,

that was our bigest fish kill season we ever had. people ran around like turkys with their heads cut off cutting holes and sticking in christmas trees attempting to get oxigen in to the lakes.
[signature]
Ice fishin' is great . I would like to recommend a sled to haul your stuff on the ice . I like the Jet Sled but any kids sled will do just get a big or long one . Also this site has some good info for ice fishing .

Just be safe out there .Just got some snow in the mountains this week and I can't wait for some ice .
[signature]
I took a couple neighborhood kids out on the ice and showed them how to keep them worms warm . It was meallyworm but I put it in my mouth just to see there expressions . LOL I couldn't get them to try it at all . LOL
[signature]
There is nothing like panfish action on the ice, this is one you will want to get in on.

for this you will want one or the other, a sencitive pole or some type of bobber set up, and there are all kinds of different set ups from float bobbers of a multitude of kinds. to wire pobbers that mount on your rod.

all of these bobbers are vary light and a helthy minnow can pull it down, this is vary important when ice fishing. many times the fish hit so light you never even see the bite. that is why you need a lite bobber. if the fish feal the slitest tug of the bobber they will let go.

many times the fish will bite so light that the bobber wont even move, the fish grabs on and mouths your worm or minnow off the hook.
[signature]
[cool] I was wondering if Mrs. Pauls frozen fish sticks really did come from Michigan or Minnesota?? I can't quite read the small print on the box. LOL hee hee.
[signature]
p.m. me your address , i got some extras to send you if you want them .
[signature]
Extra what? Ice-fishing gear?
[signature]
if fishing for pike trout or walleye, you will be wanting a tip-up in your 5 gallon bucket.

you will want a braded tip up line of at least 20 pounds

you will want at least a 15 pound steel leader

and you will want a small hand full of treble hooks. half inch and bigger.

there are many types of tip ups. you can build your own or buy one,

there are the ever popular stick tipups that have been around for ages with a flag.

I use the polar and have only had to buy one in the last 10 years. good product.

there are also the tipe that look like fat lids for five gallon buckets. they cover the hole so that blowing snow dose not fill your hole. also it aids in keeping your hole from refreezing. that is a pluss on them wintery days when the temps drop to well below zero.
[signature]
[size 2] Ok that's just nasty![crazy] WORMS!![sly][/size]
[signature]
got a couple tip ups and hand jigging rods , free !
[signature]
Yeah, I was thinking about them tip-ups. Problem with your list. Using plain treble hooks at the end of the line is illegal here in MN. I'm sure I'd have better catfishing luck if it wasn't. Guess I'll hafta rig up some sort of lure with the treble hook on it.
[signature]
well, send them my way if you want. Or, you could send them to daymere as a donation to the disabled project he's got going.
[signature]