Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Mead Jigging
Hit the water early today. Here is how it went:

Saturday,09/06- Took to the water with my friend's son, Kyle (11 yrs. old). Kyle has yet to master casting so I decided to spend the morning jigging. I've always ignored this method of fishing, prefering to hunt down boils instead. If there are no boils I usually keep looking or head home. Using capnJ"s advice from his post on 09/01, I rigged up the line counter reels with 15 lb test and headed out to the mid-channel bouy outside of Government Wash. We fished at depths between 40-70'. We caught 8 stripers, most of them in the three pound range. Young Kyle was all Smiles when he was pulling in a three pounder. We caught all of the fish on "spinnow" 2.5oz lures. It seemed that most of the fish I caught hit the hardware while sinking. Jig up, line would go slack instead of sinking right away, and WHAM! a nice striper! Kyle would just yell "I think I have a fish!" and reel it in, not really knowing how he hooked it. I'm hooked on jigging now. WE caught nice fish and compared to chasing boils, did'nt burn hardly any fuel. Any more advice on jigging techniques would be very welcome. BaySport
[signature]
what a great report, and it sounds like Kyle is mighty lucky to have a fishin' buddy like you!

sm
[signature]
That was a excellent report there BaySport. I haven't fished Lake Mead for years. I am trying to get my sons boat fixed so we can go out there and fish.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Were you jigging striaght iron or did you tip the jig with some shad? You really need to try some of those buzz bombs. I'll bet those stripers would go nuts for a buzz bomb tipped with shad on a single hook![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]When the live bait fishing goes wide open, I'll jump in the truck and head down. The shad should be coming into the bays shortly![/size][/font]
[signature]
They'll hit a Crippled Hearing (blue's better better then green) on the drop like nobodies business. Give them a try. You don't even need to tip them with any enticement. They drop quick. flutter good, and have great eyes. They're basically a flat, scaled, slab of metal with a pair of eyes on them. The Stripers love the quick fluttering drop and the look.
[signature]
Thanks for the info. I've used the 1/2 oz crippled herring as a top water lure with pretty good success last season. I'll pick up some 3/4 oz in blue and give them a try this weekend.
BaySport
[signature]