Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carpin' at Floyd Lamb
Hello folks,

I am gonna sleep in in the morning, then head to Floyd Lamb for a bit o' carp action. I bought a new 3wt fly rod over the winter and am dying to get a fish on it. I have some new "chum balls" designed for bringin' in the carp. I have several old recipes that work, but I like to try new things...

Anyhow I am gonna bring the camera and try'n get some video of me fighting a big carp or two. If I do any good I'll post the vid and any details about the day.

I usually have pretty good luck fly fishing for carp their so hopefully I'll have some stuff to show you guys.

Later,
Mark
[signature]
In case anyone was interested in my flies and chum I figured I'd post a couple of pics. I made it out this morning and dropped several chum balls. Was planning on being out fishing by now, but the wife is really busy with work so I been helping her out. After my boys soccer practice we are going out to the pond to see if the chum brought out the monster carp.
[inline CarpChumBall.jpg]

A note on these flies... the best all round color I have found is solid brown chenille for the bodies and solid black sili legs. I was out of those items in my fly tying stuff so I used the green/black legs and chenille I had. Also the flies are weighted with 5 to 7 wraps of lead substitute. I have had MANY takes as the flie drops... only telling you this cuz if you have slack in the line and big one grabs it... alot of the time the only sound you hear is POP. [blush]
[inline CarpFlies.jpg]

Gonna be harder to catch any fish and get any video w/ the kids along, but I am still gonna try. Hope you enjoy the pics Smile.

Mark
[signature]
Thanks for the info. Looks like fun. I may need to pop my fly cherry on a carp [Wink]
[signature]
[cool]Hey Telbone, I tie up my own flies also. What size hook do you use? I got the materials to work them up. Thanks.
[signature]
I remember around this time last year I was foolin around on the back pond with trout spinners and caught a few baby LMB. I woulnt be surprised if they hit those flies too.
[signature]
Well, soccer practice ran late and I got the water with 30 minutes or so left. I didn't see any carp swimmin' at my chum zones so I dropped a new ball at each of the 3 chum sites and rigged up.

I never even made a cast. Guess I didn't have 'nough time, cuz just as it was getting dark I noticed several dark shapes swimming around two of my chum sites. Man was I temped to cast, but from experience I know it's a minimum 20 - 30 minute fight on my fly rod for one of these guys and I didn't have the time. Sometimes life gets in the way of my fishing, but I got to see my son score his first goal. That was cool.

BigE, I tied those guys on number 4 general purpose eagle claw hooks. I usually use #10 or 12 (long shank) hooks but I was out of those as well. Small dumbell eyes or even beadchain eyes will work. I do believe the key to this fly is the front weight. I personally use non lead wraps. Best color I've found by far is plain old brown chenille. And black sili legs... no stripes no nuthin'. Also I don't really try to get the legs smooth and proper... I purposefully tryn' get them all around like a hackle almost. I saw this very plain fly on a fishing show several years ago and it has been my exclusive carp fly ever since. I try different stuff now and again, but nothing beats that fly for me when I am carp fishing.

My tactics are simple. Chum in a tight pattern in shallow water near the bank... you want to be able to see the fish. My favorite spots are places with cover. Carp are very spooky fish. You want to be able to sneak up on them. When you see several big tail fins with oragish tips all around your chum then cast to them. I use a 9ft leader with 3 ft of flourocarben tippet. The fly is tied on w/ a loop knot. Once I see the carp working the chum my goal is to cast the fly to the other side of the pod of fish, without my actual fly line going over the pod at all. That is another reason not to broadcast your chum. You want them fish tight together on that chum. If you spook just one the rest will spook as well. Invariable you will spook some... that is the reason for 3 chum sites. The carp will be back in a few minutes. Anyhow let the fly sink to the bottom and do a really slow hand twist retrieve through the pod. If I feel weight I don't lift the rod... I strip set the hook. Again this is so I don't spook the feeding fish. You'll pick up a bunch of bottom debris doing this, but keep at it and you will be rewarded. [shocked]

You can fish for carp w/out the chum, but walking shorelines and sightfishing them. Look for the fish that are rooting around... those are generally feeding. Figure out which direction he's working and lead him by several feet. Once he gets close give that fly a slight twitch or two.. if the initial twitch doesn't work then start a slow hand twist. It is fun as hell to sight fish carp this way.

I have caught some really small bass there as well. I caught one that was no more'n 2 inches a few years back. I also pick up a nice sunfish here and there. I tend to fish the lower pond there as it has a flat I find perfect for carp fishing.

Mark
[signature]
Telbone,

I fished Crawdad cove today, and saw lots of big carp cruising the flats/shallows just off the points. The water is crystal clear. I bet it would be perfect for fly fishing right now....
[signature]
hey Mark, thanks for the post ill have to get out there and try out my six piece backpacking fly rod i found in some of my grandpas old stuff and haven't used. if you don't mind let me know the next time you head out there and i might have to bring my little and see how its done. thanks for the good info.
[signature]
Hey guys,

I work every day this week after 3pm through Sunday...

If anyone is interested in meeting me in the morning before work at Floyd Lamb to try some carp action let me know.

I don't know anyone's schedule, but I can fish from 9 or 10 a 'til 2p any day this week except for Friday. So if anyone cares to join me let me know. Don't even need to be a fly rod. A spinning pole with a carolina rigged smaller bait hook and corn for bait will prob outfish me 2 to 1 at the least to my flyfishing.

Anyhow if anyone wants to try, I have plenty o' flies to share and wouldn't mind the company.

Later,
Mark
[signature]