Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Line test? 6 8lb or what
Well it's that time of year again for me. I'm pulling the old line off my reels and had a question. What pound test do you all suggest I use. I use spin gear so just taking ideas. Also what brand and style line would you recommend. Thanks Matt---[fishon]
[signature]
i have found on my spinning rods with a large reel and 6.6 foot medium action the heaviest i can really use without problems is 10 pounds. bigger rod and reels can go a bit heavier. iam a fan of berkley vanish flourocarbon line. stren mono is good and fairly cheap. i would say on the average spinning reel 8 pound line is best to avoid tangles and twists
[signature]
if you ever try a bait caster, get a good one. spend a little money for a good one. i bought a cheap walmart one at first and it took forever to master and i wanted to toss it in the pond a few times.now i have a revo and love it. would have made learning how to use a bait caster alot easier if i went right wtih the revo. probably dont need to buy a 170 dollar revo right off the bat but dont get a 30 dollar walmart special either
[signature]
Ok thanks. Are the lines you mention good qualities. I dont like to feel the water drag as I reel. I want a lite tune that's tough and can handle me chucking bait and such.
[signature]
they are good, but if you go to bass pro theres a million different kinds. i like them though. also, putting the line on your reels correctly is super important. gotta put it on the same direction it comes off the spool or else you will have nightmeres on the first cast. there are videos on spooling on youtube. super important, even best lines will tangle and twist if not loaded right. i really like vanish line so far hasnot given me any trouble
[signature]
You don't fine the Vanish Fluoro breaks? Man I lost 4 large trout last year because of that stuff. I went from 6 lb. to 8 lb. to 10 lb all three snapped when trout hit. Threw on some P-Line 6lb and landed some monsters with "O" break off.
I would think bad batch, but no. three different 6 lb bought at different times along with the 8 and 10.
Just saying, there is better Fluorocarbon. P-Line and Seaguar.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]You don't fine the Vanish Fluoro breaks? Man I lost 4 large trout last year because of that stuff. I went from 6 lb. to 8 lb. to 10 lb all three snapped when trout hit. Threw on some P-Line 6lb and landed some monsters with "O" break off.
I would think bad batch, but no. three different 6 lb bought at different times along with the 8 and 10.
Just saying, there is better Fluorocarbon. P-Line and Seaguar.[/quote]

VANISH SUCKS! Worst fluorocarbon made. Maybe just my opinion, but that stuff cant hold up to ANY other line I have EVER fished. I mean, not even close to compares.

You want quality?
Seaguar
Steez
Sunline Shooter Super FC
Vicious Elite Fluoro
P-Line
[signature]
wow, maybe i just got lucky. i have been using 14 pound vanish on my bait caster, never lost a fish and never backlashes. nothing but good so far. i tried several different brands and size and vanish has been dramatically better then the rest. but you guys have caught alot more fish then me so id listen to you. i have even gotten snagged on the bottom that i couldnot get free and really leaned into it and it took alot to break.
[signature]
That is good. I have never used anything that big, but I do use 10 for Grass Carp. One was huge and right to the shore when BING! Not at the knot but about 3" up (I measure my leaders and tippet, kind of anal, but works for me...LOL)
[signature]
could be the reel too, the revo is so smooth and casts super well. but never had a bad cast or backlash.
[signature]
ive not caught a huge fish on vanish yet but ive got a 4 pound cat and a four pound striper so far and both yanked out drag several times each. never stretched or even seamed to give at all. i put some cheap trilene on and tangled right away. took it off and went back to vanish and instantly better.

but i do still say getting the line spooled correctly is the most important part. if you dont youre doomed from the start.
[signature]
I use p-line pretty much exclusively now. I use the 100 flouro and also the flouroclear. Me likes
[signature]
Haha, few things can get a conversation going like fishing line. Thanks for the info, I'll take everything into consideration. As far as bait checkers go, I've tried some from time to time. Maybe it was the setup but it didn't seem to hook me like the spinners do. What other info you boys got
[signature]
I've been testing different brands and type of line over the years. They all have pros and cons.

I have used berkley vanish on summer steelhead no prob but compared to other flouro lines it lacks quality the price obviously shows that.

If you have the cheese go with the quality brands they cost more but your line is very important if your a serious angler.

On my spinning gear its all "4# spiderwire super mono xxx" great line for casting sm cranks. On my baitcasters its all "12# berkley trilene 100% flourocarbon" I love that silky smooth line I highly recommend it. On my huge swimbait caster I use "20# berley trilene maxx mono"
[signature]
see now i tried the trilene flourcarbon and it didnot go well at all. never tried the p line but heard nothing but good things.
[signature]
Just a side note... no matter what line you choose to use. You can spool it quickly by yourself by tossing the spool of line in a bucket of water. The water will supply enough drag to lay the line on your reel w/ perfect tension. It helps to pick a container that doesn't allow the spool a lot of freedom to move around... you just want it free floating in water as you load the line on the reel.

Mark
[signature]
Water also helps remove some of fishing line "memory" temporarily, so soaking your line has multiple benefits.
[signature]
I got a question thats sorta related what kind of knot do you guys tie on your drop shot rig? to keep the hook horizontal. Do you snell knot the hook when texas rigging?
[signature]
palomar knot for drop shot. youtube video shows it. and usually just a cinch or double cinch knot on the texas rig hooks
[signature]
Nice thing about a Palomar knot is you can tie it in-line anywhere on your rig. (great for trought lines..where legal)
[signature]