Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huntington Harbor/Anahiem Bay Today
Well I set out at 5:30am getting live smelt. After I had about 25 or so I headed over to the bay.

Within 5 minutes of me getting the live bait in the water a hook up. 16" Halibut ( released of course )

Then I drifted around and nothing for like 2 hours on live bait or squid. Then as I hit the grassy area next to the gas dock hook up. 13" bass, then another within 5 minutes on live bait. This one alittle nicer. 16" ( released[Wink] )

High Tide was around 8:50am so by now it is like 8am so I start heading back trolling with two green/white plastics out.

Just as I round the corner I hook up. 18" Halibut ( released ) and man was he pissed! I mean even after I got him up and in the net he was still jumping and biting my line! He was making these little growling noises too.

I tried to take a picture but with him jumping around so much I was afraid I would lose my camera again!

Anyway good day. Fishing was alittle short but I found I do better in the am than pm in those areas plus the wind is not so bad.

Good luck everyone.
[signature]
[cool]Good report, fishdaddy. Y'know, I think I would rather fish an hour of prime potential than all day under tough conditions. Well, not really. I have been known to stay all day, waiting for "something to happen".

But, if there is the threat of unfishable wind...stick a fork in me, I'm done. Sounds like you made the most of the time on the water.

Sleep tight...and don't let the halibut bite (you).
[signature]
I am the type of person when I go to fish that's exactley what I want to do.[Wink]

If I am going I like to go for at least 4-5 hours. A good friend of mine alot of times just times the tide so he will fish a 1/2 hr before tide change and after.

He claims to have had good luck doing that. Me personally just watch the tides, toss out your bait and drift around. Find a hot spot! and anchors away I'm staying[cool]

I totally agree with you though. When the wind and waves kick in unfortunatley it's time to go [unsure]

When it's so rough you can't tell if you get a bite or the wind is so strong your getting kicked around it's time for me to head in.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Something I forgot to mention is today while I was anchored near some grassy areas looking for bass some idiot came into the harbor at well over posted speeds waking everyone.

I blew my whislte and signalled to him to slow down. One of the knuckleheads decided to go up to the bow and flip me off.

So I took out my trusty marine handheld and called Harbor Patrol. Sure enough they were sitting alittle ways up ahead of him and nailed him cold.

20 minutes later and 2 harbor patrol boats I floated by. They had the knucklehead who flipped me off in handcuffs. Turned out he was drunk as a skunk.

He saw me and shook his head and I held up my handheld and said," Do on to others brother" meaning he thought it was real funny waking smaller craft and now he has a dui and his vessel was impounded.

I felt alittle sorry[unsure] NOT! [Wink]
[signature]
[cool][font "Arial Narrow"][size 4]That will teach the AHs to mess with fishfather the Angry bear![/size][/font]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=613;]
[signature]

Hi fishfather,

Proud to be amongst those who have the guts and a handheld at the ready. How come some boys, think their toys make them big dogs when they ain't got the right stuff to ever be that...... if they live to be a 1000. ha ha.

Little man + over compensating = going to jail! ha ha The poor cops are so busy with the dumb idiots, they barely have time to go after the really dangerous ones. Oh well.

Good job!

Vindictive JapanRon
[signature]
[cool]LOVE IT. I have always been a believer in "DON'T GET MAD...GET EVEN". Good story with a good ending.

Over here in Arizona, the lake rangers have publicized that they are on a mission to crack down on infractions...especially operating a motorcraft while under the influence. They have succeeded in reducing some problems, but there will always be the problem of the idiots who think that the guy with the fastest and/or biggest boat owns the lake, and does not need to pay attention to either the laws or the rules of good sportsmanship.

You were fortunate to have patrol boats nearby to apprehend the bozos. On the lakes I fish, the idiots know that the rangers will not hit the lakes until they have had plenty of coffee and donuts...and then they may stay in the areas where the "scenery" (bikinis) is better. That leaves a lot fo fishermen vulnerable to being tormented by water skiers and PWC, without them being at risk. I have seen some arrests though. It sure is fun to watch when the rangers sneak around the point and find some PWC racing around the float tubers...in the no wake area.

Again...good report.
[signature]
One of the good things about float tubing in the bays or near marina,etc is there is always a Harbor Patrol boat around. Just hop on the ole marine radio and ask for Harbor Patrol and they come running[Wink]
[signature]