Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cat'en at the hole 4/10
Went to 33hole this morning to explore some new grounds it was 41F when I arrived. Parked in the "3-Island overlook" lot. Hiked towards the wash and fished the flooded brush just before the mouth of the wash on the 33 hole side. Was hoping to spot some beders but saw nothing but carp. Fished the brush anyways combed through slowy with a "chigger craw" worked my way back towards the lot.

Decided to sit down and give the mushy wally world anchovies a try in a shaded cliff section of the hole. Carolina riged some australian 1/0 circle hooks I call em that because I ordered them in bulk off ebay and they ship from the outback.

Casted out deep and put it in the rod holder with a bell. Focused on a jig with the other rod. Wasn't long before the bell went rattlin I looked over and my rod tip was bent over into the water. I droped my jig rod with the jig still in the water and ran over to battle the beast on a UL stik 4# test.

God it was a great fight I honestly thought it was a striper. When I reeled in he just fought back peeling line of the reel. Took quite awhile to get him landed. When I saw it was just a avg size channel I was a little surprised on how well he fought. The cats are still not super shallow yet this poor guys airblader was comin out of his rectum musta yanked him out of 50' feet or so of water.

It started to get hot n I felt satisfied with the kitty battle so I called it a day. Quite a few boaters in in the vegas bay arm and in the wash netting shad. The jetski & powerboat crowd are slowly starting to show up.

This also marks the last day I fish from the shore I'm in the process of pimp'n out my float tube. All of my solo mead trips will be from my tube from now on. I'm tired of standing on shore missing out on good fishing. Stay tuned for my maiden voyage.
[inline "The Hole April10 #3.JPG"]

[inline "The Hole April10 #4.JPG"]

[inline "The Hole April10 #9.JPG"]

[inline "The Hole April10 #11.JPG"]
[signature]
nice cat 4#, looks like a perfect day out there. [Smile] You should have a blast once you start tubin.
[signature]
Nice kitty. I wish I could've made it out today but I had to take on the honey-do list.

I'm new to tubing and I just started pimpin out my tube. The paint is drying on my rod/net holder right now. I've only had it out twice in the gov't wash area and I didn't catch anything but I still really like it. Perhaps we could meet up some time and go tubing together. If you haven't already you should definately head over to the Float Tube section of the forums, its a great resource with some real knowledgeable and friendly people.
[signature]
Way to go brotha.

Them cat's sure like you... I can catch 'em when I'm alone, but when 4poundonly is with me they won't even give me the time of day. [fishin]

I agree wholeheartedly with the comment about knowledgable people over at the float tube section. I have float tubed for years and would (and will) gladly give advice on how to rig one if you like, but honestly you look over there and you will find all you need and more.

One tip... lowering a net bag full of beverages below the thermocline will keep them decently cold Smile. Ok one more... if you plan to keep fish you can make a nice cheap fish keeper out of a swimming pool noodle float and a mesh laundry bag. String a rope through the noodle and tie it so it's a circle, then zip tie the laundry bag to the circle.. makes a nice fish keeper for float tubing.

I am really gonna miss my tube, but I have committed to the boat so I can bring the kids.

Later,
Mark
[signature]
[cool] nice fish! i bet it was a good fight on the UL rod i'm gonna try me some UL cattin this year, i fished UL for stocker trout size dink stripers last year that was fun i could only imagine what kind of fight just an average cat would be. good job out there. i'll be lookin for you tubin around "The Hole" [fishin]
[signature]
Thanks for the tips guys. I tubed alot in washington state that was the only way to access certain waters. The more and more I think about it lake mead is the same way. Most of the best fishin zones are not easily accessible by shore or big boats (see pics).

Im pretty much tired of wasting valuable time on shore when I could be hittin up untouched water. Not to mention I could cover more water and there are several prime insert points around the hole. My only concerns are #1 The wind #2 Aholes in boats who pretend to not see me.

I also feel confident I will catch a 10lb cat from the hole this year don't worry I wont be using 4# or vanish lol.

[inline 079.JPG]

[inline 083.JPG]

[inline 091.JPG]
[signature]
[cool]You will have a blast tubing. That is all I do at mead since 2002. And you are right about hitting areas that would be hard for a boater or tough for a shore person. Also, boaters for the most part do respect that you are out there. Common sense says to stay a little closer to the shoreline,wear something bright, and carry a whistle or small air horn if you see one coming at you fast. So far (knock on wood) I have had only one guy get too close to me and that was cause of the sun low on the horizon in his eyes. But watch out for the jetskiers. Some of them are reckless. The wind can play havoc with you but if you watch the weather and know your abilities you won't have any problems. It is getting closer to slurping time for the stripers and that is great in a tube especially when they surround you. Have fun.
[signature]
I'm thinking about getting a tube, sounds like a pretty good idea.

Get enough tubes close together and should be no problem being seen?
[signature]
BigE - Thanks for the heads up. I've seen some of your past posts of your tubin adventures. Come to think of it your the only one that I know of that tubes mead. Although one time I did see a group of pontooners other than that I never seen a floater out there. And yea most boaters skiers etc respect others space but you know how the las vegas bay gets in summer.

RealRatFink - You should get one. I would get a small boat but..... well you know jus don't have the $ . So I will have settle with a float tube. Everybody knows how much of a pain it is to fish from shore most of 33 hole isn't even accessible. With a tube us bankies actually have a shot at catching some trophy fish and thats exactly what I intend to do this season.
[signature]
I'm going to look into it. I would love to have a nice tube. Also have to see what the wifey thinks
[bobscared]
[signature]
Well you might as well get her a tube while your at it [cool] they really are not that expensive and its a great activity to do together.

I recently picked up 2 BPS donuts for about $160. I prefer the donuts over the U's and there more comfortable for river fishin which we plan on doing more of.

Its not the tube itself that costs its all the extra's that go along with it waders,fins,PFD,rod holders,sonar etc. I tried and took back 3 different pairs of waders before I found a pair that were comfortable. Not to mention the pink ones she wanted.

Best to buy at the local BPS because if you don't like anything you can easily take it back for a refund. We are really missing out on what lake mead has to offer when shore bound so why not take the plunge when conditions are perfect. [cool]
[signature]