Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
first outing of the year possibly !!
tomorrow i may be making my first outing of the year to twin lakes!!! as i dont have any waders yet it will probably be a quick in and out!! i know i need to get some but darn it i want to. if it doesn't storm on me that is!!!! i got a new pole rack on there courtesy of my brother... and now i need to try it out!!! we will see[fishon]
[signature]
There is no way you will last long without waders at this time of year. I bet the water temp isn't over 45 yet. Dont get pneumonia and hypothermia if you try it.[crazy]

Windriver
[signature]
as i have came to find i am very good with extream cold weather and conditions for long periods of time!!! i have lots of natural insulation[laugh][laugh][laugh] but as i said we will see what happens im going fishing regardless just dont know if i will be throwing the tube out or not
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I admire your determination but I gotta question your sanity.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
You know, they are now finding FREEZING as a great way to shed poundage. Seriously, freezing Fat away! Could catch on! But it does slow your movement down so please be careful.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Cold water and float tubing are not compatible. I once had a pair of lightweight waders split at the crotch seam while tubing Starvation while there was still ice on some parts of the lake. NOBODY should ever have to experience/endure the "shock and awe" of my next few moments...before rocketing back to shore. Thankfully I was only a short ways from a suitable beaching site. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Don't know about the weight loss thing, but my voice went a few octaves higher.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There is a word of caution to all tubers or swimmers...in cold water. Hypothermia is no joke. It can sneak up on you and when you decide that maybe you shouldn't be where you are it could be too late...and your limbs will no longer function to get you out of the water. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]And...merely having waders is no guarantee that you will stay warm enough. You need GOOD waders and enough layers between you and the outer waterproof layer to insure that your body heat can keep you comfortable...and functioning. A single layer of breathable wader material just ain't enough for extreme cold water conditions. Better to have neoprenes and a couple of other layers underneath.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I have to say the mental picture I had from your description of your cold water "situation" gave me a good laugh and almost got me into trouble at work (I work in a library)... but it was worth it...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Happy that my (former) misfortune could contribute a bit of humor to your day. It is funny now but deadly serious at the time.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I came close to being the first human to walk on (liquid) water in 2000 years. But, being in a round tube and burdened by a bunch of fishing gear it was just too difficult to get up on plane. Maybe if I had another hundred yards before hitting the beach I could have made it. Don't think I ever want to duplicate that "situation" just to test the theory. I "shrink" from the thought.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
the humor is in the hind sight theory... but as you say it was serious at the time ...

but then again... picturing a man in an inner tube with "crotch" exposed and soaked with ice water... fishing rods wiggling all over the place doing a kung fu type run across the water is also humorous (now) mental video running thru my mind... :-)

just glad it all worked out for the best in the end...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]All's well that ends.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Ill drink to that... :-)
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I heard that you would drink to ANYTHING.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hope Jeremy gets to go fishing after all this and that he has a good sense of humor about getting his post low-jacked.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
well i had made it out on the tube with no waders only made it out about 50 or 60 yards before i decided it was to cold the water temp was 38 degrees!!! so cold my feet numbed withing the first 20 yards!!! so i went back to shore where it was 54 degrees out and sunny!!!! didn't catch anything had something on long enough to bend my pole then it spit it!!! my dad hooked into a nice trout which also spit the hook!!! here are some pictures of the lake!!!
[signature]

[signature]
Boy get you some waders! Don't want to hear about you getting hypothermia out there. I always use neoprenes at this time of year and at higher altitudes.
[signature]
That water looks like glass, wish i coulda gone and i have waders so I could have floated around for awhile, and if nothing else enjoyed the quiet and the sun.
[fishin]
[signature]
I agree, but I haven't use Neoprene for a very long time. All in what you wear UNDER your waders.[Wink]
[signature]
i know i need waders i am working on it!!!! cost money you know[Wink]
[signature]
I know about the cash shortage thing. Even the cheap hodgmans are better then nothing. Just don't want you to lose any toes while fishing [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Okay, you have learned an important lesson about float tubing. It is about enjoyment...not just endurance. Hard to fully appreciate the benefits of fishing from a tube when you are toggling between pain and numb.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I love Twin Lakes...in the warmer weather. Hit it a couple of years ago in June and did well on all species. Pretty little lake and a great tuber venue.[/#0000ff]
[signature]