Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arizona (non) fishing report
[cool][#0000ff]Made a speed run last week to visit family and friends in So. Cal and Arizona. Loved the warmth (100 degrees), atmospheric enhancement (smog) and economic challenges ($4.17 gal. gas).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]No fishing, but did walk out on some of my old favorite fishing piers in California. Major harvest of small mackerel going on. Nothing substantial.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]No water in Arizona. All the lakes are mirages. And when I tried to hunt for nightcrawlers all I found were "sand worms". Since it is the bloom time of year, however, I did get to see some Arizona tulips.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glad to be back, even if we did have to drive in hurricane force winds last Thursday. But they were tail winds. Still didn't offset the gas prices from California.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Now I gotta get the ol' tube prepped for spring fishing...if spring ever makes it to Utah. Global warming. Yeah, right.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
That sand worm is ready to rock and roll! Hope that was a telephoto shot.
[signature]
Great pics! And I hope you were not as close to that rattler as the pic suggests.

Glad you had a good time.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That "worm" was only about 30" long...pretty small for an Arizona diamondback. We have seen quite a few that were twice as long...or bigger. We have a healthy respect for them and do not believe in harming or provoking them. A lot of people seem to want to kill every snake they see. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]This one was crossing the dirt road while we were on a drive along "Apache Trail"...from Canyon Lake to Roosevelt Lake...along the Salt River. It was moving slowly so we pulled up in front of it and waited for it to finish crossing the road...so some blaster-rod dimbulb wouldn't swerve to kill it. While it was meandering slowly along I got out my little Minolta (no telephoto) and got him to Smile for a few pics. We moved slowly and non-threateningly. He did form a semi coil when the vibrations and motion of our nearness registered with him. But he never did bother to rattle and did not appear too miffed or aggressive.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I was probably within about 5 feet at the closest. Knowing that a snake can only strike about half their length I was not too worried. I have seen and photographed LOTS of desert critters. Never had a rattler exhibit any aggressiveness. Just about every one we have ever seen has been trying to get from one place to another...or just soakin' up some rays on a cold morning. Almost always try to get away rather than attacking.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here's a few more pics, if you would like to see what WARM & DRY looks like.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
yeah the snake haters! My gosh I have fished plenty of times in rattler country. We called them "coontails" and that was what the locals called them.

Some common sense will prevent a snake bite.

I once got brave and picked up a gopher snake off the side of the road. Never bit me! I let it go. I should never bother any snake no matter how "harmless" they may be.

I hope to hit Lake Havasu this year in July....damn the heat!
[signature]
TubeDude wrote:[/quote]
[cool][#0000ff][/#0000ff] Never had a rattler exhibit any aggressiveness. Just about every one we have ever seen has been trying to get from one place to another...or just soakin' up some rays on a cold morning. Almost always try to get away rather than attacking.[/b][/quote]

Yeah, I've been around quite a few of them as well. Surprised a few too. (Grew up in So Cal) Never had one get aggressive either. But if ya wanna see a fat guy go three feet in the air and do a pirouette....
[signature]
You were just mentioning flathead catfish, and there you are driving right by Arizona's second most prized flathead catfish waters with out a Bluegill for bait and your Heavy Catfish rod? I am almost disappointed. [sly] . It's not the snakes down there it is the scorpions you got to be weary of. By the way The flatheads are just just finishing the spawn. Would have been a great trip! Especially on the Salt River.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]TWANG! My heartstrings vibrate whenever I think of flatheads. Spent a lot of fun times attached to those big aggressive kitties. Caught them out of Roosevelt, Apache and Canyon on the Salt River. And Horseshoe and Bartlett on the Verde. One of my favorite tubing spots was the big scour hole below Horseshoe...on the Verde. The pic below is a flattie taken there on a jig and 6# line while fishing for crappies. Took a while to persuade him to crawl into my net.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sadly, that trip was an "obligation" trip with little time and no tackle for fishing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[inline "30# FLATHEAD.JPG"]
[signature]
Glad to hear your back. Sure love to visit those areas, the wife and I went to San Diego for deep sea fish'n and then to the 29 Palms area of Desert Center go Golf and ride ATV's last March. Good times! Well now that you are back maybe you can find where the fish are biting. The water has remaind cold and the fishes lips seem to be stuck together. Joe and I have been to Willard twice and Mantua twice with little to show for it. Cant seem to get two sunny days in a row, or per week latley. Looking forward to your future posts.[cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thinking about sneaking in a trip to a couple of spots on Utah Lake Friday. Willard is definitely in my crosshairs for next week...if Mama Nature can get back on her meds.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I spent a lot of time In the exact same places in AZ. I found the Kitties were almost always "accidentally" caught when we were crappie fishing... These were down on the Colorado.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Goldfish or bluegills?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Dragged a few monsters out of the hole below Laguna Dam. Lots of flatties up and down that river if you can find the right spot.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Talk about rattlers. The banks along the Colorado have a lot of those Mojave rattlers. Bad business. They CAN be aggressive and more dangerous than the diamondbacks. Fishing out on a spit of gravel below Palo Verde wier one night we had to keep using a long stick to pitch rattlers out into the current when they crawled out to join us in the light. My fishing buddy stepped out the back of the camper one night...and his foot pinned the head of a big nasty rattler. Emptied his pistol full of snake loads into it and got so sick he couldn't stand up for an hour.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Actually Tilapia and or Carp are the much preferred baits. Blue gill work, But a 1 1/2 pound 12-14 inch carp is the "Golden Bait". My buddy "Crush" had a website devoted to Arizona Flatheads for awhile. The Salt River and it's associated reservoirs, the Verde, and the Colorado have all seen my hooks. Tempe Town lake has even yielded the occasional Teener Flattie as well. I have always wanted to use one of those "sand worms" for bait, but they are trouble to put on a hook! Besides every body knows those desert crawfish [:/] (scorpions) are better bait then sand worms.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Funny you should mention the scorpions. I was living in Phoenix in the early 90's when they finished raising the dam on Lake Pleasant. The following spring the lake level came up much higher than it had ever been and flooded out a lot of shoreline that had never been under water. Besides flushing out a lot of Confused rattlers it also provided a bunch of drowned scorpions for the channel cats. Just about every cat I caught for a while had "sand shrimp" in their tummies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The displaced rattlers made tubing an interesting proposition. It was not uncommon to see them swimming across waters that they were used to travelling on dry land. And whenever you moved in to fish around an exposed treetop in the rising water you had to look carefully to see what kind of "foilage" it had in it. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Poor TubeBabe. She has an intense "dislike" of snakes...of any kind. Whenever we fished on Pleasant during those transition times she about got whiplash looking around for any potential reptilians swimming within a half mile of her. And when a small harmless racer tried to join her in her tube she used her net to thrash the water to a froth in front of it...to discourage it. I'll bet that poor little guy had some real tales to tell his buddies when he got back to dry land...about the volcano island he found on the lake.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[#000050]Pat, good to see some pictures from that Country. I had an occasion to build a Hospital expansion in Globe a long time back and enjoyed driving up past Roosevelt Lake and down the river back to Phoenix.[/#000050]
[#000050][/#000050]
[#000050]Pretty Country..[/#000050]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A lot of folks who have never been to that part of Arizona still think "desert is desert". But when you get a chance to experience it throughout a whole year of changes you really develop an appreciation for the beauty.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We used to always drive up through Globe and Miami in the fall to pick up some fresh roasted chiles. Man, the aroma of those things toasting was enough to make ya drool. Many happy rellenos.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][cool]
[#0000ff]No water in Arizona. All the lakes are mirages. [/#0000ff][#000000][/quote][/#000000]
[#000000][/#000000]
[#000000][/#000000]
[#000000][inline "Lake or wall 2.gif"][/#000000]
[signature]