Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New "float tube" (sort of)
Well, after a week of negotiations with a neighbor, we settled on a good price for an Achilles inflatable boat and like new Honda 9.9 motor. They were purchased new in 2002 and used about 4 times. The gentleman got ill and was no longer able to use it. The craft is an Achilles Su-14. Its rated for 2400 pounds and up to 55 horse.

Since I will be going camping my trailer will be attached so I needed something that collapses. I know a number of lakes down some forest roads that I can access.

Since I know little about boats in general, I was hoping you all could give me some information on how to use and care for this thing.

I am worried about launching it into remote lakes as there is no official launch...I don't want to damage it. Also, will a 9.9 move this thing well enough with 3 large adults in it?

[Image: April2011208.jpg]
[signature]
That 9.9 should get a water skier up[shocked] Seriously, it should be fine.
Allot of the higher remote lakes do not allow gas, so check on that.

Very cool boat. Just have a receiver put on the back of your camping trailer like we did. The boat weighs nothing and that motor has got to be around 100 if even that.

Buy some 303 spray and use it about once a month. Will keep the material soft and looking like new.

Also, where that is an actual boat, check regs like, bailing bucket, tow rope, lights, horn, a floatation cushion and a PFD for every one on board.

Plus licensing. But, I am jealous!!!!!!
[signature]
I too am jealous. That would be the perfect boat for a bunch of lakes. The smaller the lake the more likely it will have restrictions on gas motors.

You probably already know that you have to license it. Take a pic of it in with you so they will know what you're talking about.

Make sure you take in on a few short trips before any long ones. Take at least one guy that knows his way around a boat (okay I volunteer) for a short five hour maybe even less trip.

I would put that on Jordenelle this weekend. You could even launch something that size at the personal watercraft ramp. Run it over to the damn and back. If all goes well get the gear and catch some fish.

BTW don't most gas motors need their prop under water when started? I'm just saying find that out before you start it to see how it runs.
[signature]
Thanks all.

The motor has the hose attachment so I can fire it up and test it anytime. It starts first pull!!

I am looking into it but I don't *think* it needs to be registered with that small of a motor (here in Canada).

The lakes I am interested in have no launch at all. They are in a logging area and hard to get to, but possible with a truck. I have to find a way to get it in the lake without damaging the bottom, or without me getting wet...The ice will be on the lake a week before I get there..so water will be cold.
[signature]
Looks fun! Enjoy it, I am jealous now--- fishing small lakes in Canada..FUN!!!![laugh]
[signature]
Looks like the perfect small water craft to me. If you can get a truck to the lake you can launch your boat. That 9.9 will scream I would be more worried about it being able to go slow enough to troll with. That boat should serve you will for a long time, mind sharing what you paid. Just curious.
[signature]
It looks great, but might be hard to launch if you are by yourself and not using a boat ramp. Inflated the boat might be a bit awkward but very do able. Does the boat have oars that you can use on small out of the way lakes that you might not want to tote the motor to? Well, I see it has oars what I meant was -- how well does it row?

The motor is probably the heaviest part at close to 100lbs -- hope you don't have to carry it far. Well, at least for me anyway!

It should be a great boat set up for you!! That motor will be more than enough to take you from one end of the lake to the other.

We have a 12 ft boat with a 7.5 hp motor. It is fiberglass and heavier, and the motor still moves it fine. But carrying the motor is a pain, and I am sure it weighs a little less than yours. Very doable for short distances.
[signature]
CP Can you imagine this boat at Lake "C"!!!! The wind would be no problem!
[signature]
Yeah, it would be fun.

I am still thinking about putting about a 3hp gas on my Renegade. -- Still easy enough for me to pack up and tote by myself.
[signature]
Wow! I was just looking at your boat's specs. I didn't realize that the boat alone weighted 280lbs. You definitely need some extra bodies with you if you want to carry it to launch it. Should fish and move through the water with 3 guys easy.

Very nice looking!
[signature]
Hi,

The weight is actually no problem because the boat has wheels that swivel down. You load the boat up, put the motor on then wheel it into the lake. It's a 1 person Job. When you are in the lake, you pull a pin in each side and the wheels "come up" out of the water. I can setup with the floor (takes 2 people about 25 min) or without (about 10 - 15 min)

The boat came with oars that lock in so you can row away.

Someone wanted to know what this cost. Keeping in mind that I am from Canada(things are more expensive here) and that the motor is essentially new, this package is about $7300 new, I got it for 3,000.

See the wheels in the upright position in the photo below.[Image: boat5.jpg][/img]
[signature]
Looking at the boats and motors new, you got a good deal.

Being able to wheel it in is awesome. You ought to be able to catch a lot of fish for years to come. Nice setup!
[signature]
Congrats on a nice boat and good price.

You might want to do some practice runs on the inflation/collapse procedure and make a check list. Look for leaks right before your trip, and be careful how you pack it collapsed so that nothing chafes on the boat material bouncing around on the logging roads. Nothing worse than getting there and finding you're missing or broke a critical part or have a serious leak.

Mostly I keep my boats inflated and prepacked with fishing stuff where loading/launch and return is a few minutes. That wouldn't be possible with your larger boat unless you had a separate trailer.

Anyway, hope this helps and enjoy!

Pon
[signature]
It looks good. Interesting design. You plan on getting a trailer for it as well?
[signature]