Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knice at Da Knolls 4-15-11
[cool][#0000ff]I usually prefer to wait a couple of days after a front goes through before fishing. But this year I would never go fishing if I waited for that to happen. Front went through yesterday and I launched my tube at the Knolls about 7:15 this morning. Air temp 29. Water temp 46. Both TDC (too d..... cold).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Started fishing near shore. Water levels way up. High tide. Threw plastics, spinners and cranks. Nada, zip, zilch. Only exercise and snags.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Moved out and started dragging a minnow on one rod while continuing to pitch plastics on the second rod. Fished shallow to deep and back again. From 5' to over 10'. Two hours later I got my first hit. A small white bass in 10' of water. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Kept working big S turns...from shallow to deep. Finally got a runner on a piece of carp meat. First kitty...a nice little cookie cutter from 10.4'. About a half hour later I went bendo on a biggun...a 28" mama cat that weighed 9.3#. Yee haw. Much fun.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Had a couple of other runners that did not want to join me in my tube. Water temps started warming toward 50 and the deep water bite shut down...such as it was. Figured something might be enjoying the warmer water close to shore by now. Figured right. Lots of munches by small whities and skinny mud cats. Landed a few of each. No more channels.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Left the water about 2:30. Water temp and air temp both 52. How dey do dat? [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I did better than I anticipated. And the water stayed calm all day. Kinda scary to see all the snow on the surrounding mountains still. Gonna get damp in the lowlands soon.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Good to see that you are getting out even with the crazy weather. Seems like for me when I got some time off the weather kicks in and then I am stuck at home.[crazy] Hate weekends and saturdays but may have to grin and bear it and just go out.[frown]
[signature]
Great post, I Hope to match it tomorrow on the North side.
[signature]
Not the action I hoped for in your report as I will be out there with a buddy tomorrow to do our damage. Here's hoping an early morning start and some aggresive fishing can get some kitties mad enough to bite that chub minnow!!! Also here is hoping the cooler weather can calm the local Saturday crowd out there a little bit. Glad to see you got out.
[signature]
Anything interesting in the big cats belly?
[signature]
Nice job TD looks like the knolls are a good place. Question was You using a bobber or weightless
[signature]
[quote Cmack]Anything interesting in the big cats belly?[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]I did not open the stomach. There were some fish bones evident but everything else appeared to be mostly digested. I prefer not to "enjoy" that heavenly aroma if I can avoid it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote danielc]Nice job TD looks like the knolls are a good place. Question was You using a bobber or weightless[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]I was dragging the baits weightless yesterday. However, when the fish moved shallower, in the afternoon, I was thinking seriously about rigging with a bobber. Never got around to it though.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]This time of year it is sometimes a good technique to fish slowly, with the bait suspended just above the bottom. I have done well with that in the past, but mainly when the fish are in water less than 6 feet deep. It is about the best way to fish when the cats move into the rocks and reeds. Prevents snags and is fun to watch that bobber take a dive.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Good to get out on such a day. That is a real nice cat you caught!
Willard is starting to turn on again too! Joe and I went out on the bank for a few hours and did OK . Things are looking up![cool]
Ready to get the toons on Willard, (still no motor) So long as the wind stays calm.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Saw your post on the kitties. Glad they are moving in. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am watching the weather with my tube pointed toward Willard this next week sometime.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Good to hear that the knolls produced a little bit. Fished just south of the airport yesterday and no action till it was dark then caught a few mud cats all on minnows. Hoping to find some channel cats but none so far.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]It's going to be hit and miss for shore fishing for awhile...mostly miss. The weather has to settle down and the water has to warm up a few degrees to get the channels moving in closer to shore...or into shallower water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The mud cats are usually the first to move shallow and they can at least provide some action. I usually see quite a few folks hauling in the mudders along the shoreline at the Knolls this time of year. But yesterday there was only one guy that came down. He fished several different spots and then left. Not a good sign...for him.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of these days the weather patterns will change (I hope) and we will get several days of warm weather in a row. That will bring in the carp to spawn and also get the kitties movin' and feedin'. They will be spawning sometime from May through July...but need warm water and calm weather to get 'er done.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Well good to know. I wasn't sure what to expect I just couldn't wait any longer and needed to get out there fishin. But I will be eagerly waiting for the weather to change and for the warm weather to come. Still fun just getting out there [cool]. Looking in to getting a tube or canoe or something so i can get out to those places i really want to go. But thanks for your post. I am already excited for the fishing ahead.
[signature]
great report. great pics. I still liked the "land" shots with creatures from AZ.

good to see you have hit the water.

rincon madness
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Did you make it to So Cal?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
not yet....... this Wed 5:00 lift off. I'll post a report w/ pics though.
[signature]
TD,
Great job squeezing in a day on the water, between all of this lovely spring weather!!!

cericr,
If you are looking at getting a tube, be sure and visit the float tube board, and read some of the back posts.
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/gforum.cgi?forum=81
[signature]