Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tampa Bay Fishing Report April 10-April 17, 2011
[font "Calibri"]Snook, Trout and Redfish continued to be my main targets this week. [/font]
[font "Calibri"]I have been catching my Snook on the south shore of Tampa Bay from Miguel Bay to Piney Point. I am targeting mangrove islands and points on higher tides using live greenbacks and shrimp rigged on a 1/0 circle hook and 25lb. fluorocarbon leader. The fish have been averaging 22 to 25 inches with the largest fish of the week topping out at 29 inches. [/font]
[font "Calibri"]Redfish have also continued to be consistent this past week. Although, I am not finding the large schools of fish yet, I am finding consistent groups of 5 to 10 fish. I am moving around a lot, working areas that have shell or oyster bottom and good current flow. Live or freshly dead shrimp on a 1/0 circle hook and a small split-shot is my rig of choice when targeting redfish. If you are an artificial enthusiast, the Mirrolure Mirrodine, or a GULP Shrimp on a 1/8th ounce jighead are great options.[/font]
[font "Calibri"]Lastly, Trout are still producing and can definitely turn a slow day into a great trip. Most of the fish I have been catching are in the 12 to 15 inch range, but the largest fish of the week was just under 26 inches. DOA golden bream shadtails rigged on a 1/8th ounce chartreuse jighead, or the Mirrolure Mirrodine are great choices when targeting Trout with artificial baits. When using live bait, a live large shrimp suspended 18 to 24 inches below a popping cork will almost always produce consistent catches. [/font]
[signature]