Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wierdest Catch
[cool] What is your wierdest catch? One of my favorites was when I was fishing in the Provo river in Utah and caught a 4lb cutthroat trout on a chartruese green crappie jig. What is one of your favorites in the wierd category???
[signature]
[cool]Man, that fish gets bigger every year. What made it so special was that your older brother had been "holding forth" all the way to the water that you should fish with something else...and not the crappie jig you had left tied on since our previous week's trip to Willard Bay. Since he didn't get ANYTHING on that trip, it really shut his mouth.

Bass are notorious for hitting wierd stuff at times. I have seen them caught on a glob of cheese, on hot dogs and on live garter snakes. But, I have also seen them turn up their noses at the latest favorite plastic baits too.

One of my favorite 'TRUE STORIES" happened this last year in Arizona. Two guys fishing in the same boat, on Showlow Lake, up in the White Mountains of Arizona, were fishing for different species. One was soaking Powerbait for the nice trout in the lake. The other was casting plastics for the plentiful walleye. You guessed it. The guy using Powerbait caught an 8 pound walleye...and they guy fishing plastics for walleye nailed a 5 pound rainbow.

Fish don't always read the same articles we do. They don't know they are supposed to only hit one certain bait or lure. That does make for some interesting catches.
[signature]
I was fishing down off Australia and I caught a Great White! We got him up on the boat and cut him open and guess what we found!

3 New Zealanders....Still in there boat! [Wink] ( Just Kidding )

Weirdest thing I ever caught was a Kelp Bass that was already hooked by another pole and must of yanked it overboard and was stuck there.

So I de-hooked him and released him and pulled the pole in. It was some little Kmart special all rusted out. I couldn't help think about the kid that must of lost it[unsure]

Then sure enough there his skeleton was still hanging on!![shocked]
( Kidding again )

But the bass and the pole story was true. Very odd. I felt really bad for fish so I let him go [cool]
[signature]
[size 2]That's sooo true. Even though I throw plenty of magazines in the water they still refuse to read the articles![Wink][/size]

[size 2] Makes it real hard to sell lures [sly][/size]

[size 2] You mentioned catching fish on different bait. I set out on a camping/fishing trip and forgot the worms and plastics!! Ahhhh[/size]

[size 2] All I had was a can of corn. But I will tell you what. I still loaded up on carp and even a few trout[/size]
[signature]
[cool] That one sounds good. I've always found trout to be a good customer of corn. Heck, they even have corn power bait now. Havn't caught anything on it yet. But I have gotten some tilapia on the power maggots.
[signature]
[cool][cool] speaking of weird. I don't know if it is only in CA, but people are fishing with lunch meats now and scoring good sized bluegill and tilapia out of a local pond. sheeeeeesh.
[signature]
[size 2]Yep. I saw a guy out fish with bolgna and cheese combo! I got so hungry watching him make the bait I had to go to Taco bell to eat![/size]

[size 2] But before that I saw him catch small bass and perch. Weird[crazy][/size]
[signature]
[cool][Tongue] yeah these fishin fools by my house are useing turkey slices, generic bologne and looks like 3/0 hooks just to pull in lil 3/4 pounders. That bologne alone cost less than my lil tubb of crawlers. But if it works, why not????
[signature]
[cool]Well, fishfather, since you wander over to the Utah board once in awhile, I can tell you how to start a major ruckus over there. Just bring up the issue of corn. It has been outlawed in the state for many years...even for carp. The DWR (fisheries) loves their little hatchery pets and have proposed many reasons why corn should not be used...except that it is too darned effective.

Go ahead. I dare ya to ask about the corn issue and see what happens.

I have used corn for several species and have even seen bass take it. Both corn and green peas work in the salt water for opaleye and other grazing species. On a little private lake in Mesa Arizona, I had a townhome that had the back patio right out to the lake. I would take a small plastic bag of corn kernels, my ultra-ultra light spinning rod and some small hooks and have a ball with several species. If a bluegill didn't get the corn, a catfish might. If they waited too long, a twenty pound carp would slurp it in and race to the opposite side of the lake with my 4# line over its shoulder and my poor little reel shrieking.

I once won a bet with one of the most unusual offerings. I hooked a size six bait hook through the tip of a discarded cigarette filter and cast it just above a midstream rock, in the Kern River, above Lake Isabella. One of those stupid freshly planted hatchery rainbows slurped it in and held onto it long enough for me to set the hook and drag it in. I don't think I would have wanted to eat that fish...with a discriminating diet like that.
[signature]
[size 2]That's so weird. I didn't realize they out law'd corn! I have heard Utah has weird laws.[crazy][/size]

[size 2]I fished Lake Elsinore years ago and corn and corn meal dough bait was the trick. I would pull some nice size carp out of there. [Wink][/size]

[size 2] Not to mention the occasional wondering bass [cool][/size]
[signature]
[cool]The first really BIG fish I caught was a carp...on the lower Colorado River over an "Easter Vacation" week. An old boy at the trailer park saw me fishing for bluegills and small crappies and asked if I would like to catch a big fish. DUH.

He went back to his trailer and came back with a mixture of yellow cornmeal and some raspberry Jello. Made some half inch balls and I spent the rest of the afternoon whooping and hollering.

Once had a buddy that brought his new wife along on a Colorado River catfishing trip. She slept while we fished at night, and then she wanted to fish during the day. She had never had much experience, and wasn't too particular about what she caught. So, I rigged up a light spin stick and opened a can of corn. The school of three to five pound carp in that eddy kept her busy long enough for the guys to get a good nap before the late afternoon fishing began. She also ended up catching the largest catfish of the trip...a "born again" vegetarian that beat a carp to the corn.

Let's hear it for the Jolly Green Giant. Talk about "power bait".
[signature]
So thi is where the ruckus came from![Smile]hehehehe... Great way to stir thing up over yonder. Me being a young pup and Utahonian all my life have never had the chance to fish using corn. Always wondered why and what was going on with using corn.
[signature]
[cool]Yeah, call me a rabble rouser. For the record, I just suggested it. I didn't get it started myself.

Thanks for dropping in. Come back anytime.
[signature]
[cool][font "Arial Narrow"][size 4]Hey tube jr,[/size][/font]

[font "Arial Narrow"][size 4]When to Von's Lake in Yorba Linda and caught me a Charlie Tuna !! [Tongue][/size][/font]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=646;]
[signature]

Hey there tubeN2,

Wierdest huh!? I was flyfishin in Lake Yamanaka, Japan and the lake had a sidewalk around it with street lights. I was fly casting and as I was in a back cast with a big wooly bugger, a little bat grabed my fly and then got snagged in my leader. Result was my suprise and here is an unhappy bat being pulled on top of my head by the force of my forward cast. Flap flap.... Arhhhhhhhhh!! Ouch! Get away! Get away! hisss! hisss! keeeee! keeee!
Whew........

No rabies, but I do tend not to go out into the daylight or eat garlic. (Well, this parts made up anyway)

JapanRon
[signature]
My friend was saltwater fishing recentley and caught a large bag. Of course he didn't know that and with the boat bouncing around, his pole bending over that far everyone thought he had a whale!

So he is reeling it in, crew memeber standing by with gaff and then it surfaces, a large black bag[blush]

He said the entire stern of the boat was laughing.

The crew member used the gaff to bring his catch in and as he was unhooking it a small black sea bass jumped out. Guess he was along for the ride.

Of course the released it but man I would of loved to seen that![Wink]
[signature]
[cool]On a bigwater trolling trip, WAY down south, in Mexico, one of the guys in the rotation for the chair fell asleep...from an overdose of nightlife. When it was determined he was truly "out", we handlined in his rig and tied a deck bucket to the end. Tossed it over and when the line came tight the reel drag screamed the the poor guy about had a heart attack.

The skipper was in on it and gunned the engine "to set the hook". Then the boat was moved back and forth, across the swells, to give the "fish" some additional life. The guy on the rod already had plans to get his world record marlin mounted to hang on his wall.

Our semi wasted friend was semi sorta unhappy with us when the bucket was gaffed and lifted aboard for pics. The skipper offered to let him keep it for his wall, but he opted for catch and release.
[signature]
[cool] Hey dryrod, I've never had any luck with a Mepps Comet at the super market. That looks like a good fresh catch. I wonder if I could catch a 5lb can with a Southbend Superduper!!! Uncanney!!! LOL. Good one there.
[signature]
ive been fishing a long time, but havent had too many wierd catches. Is it wierd to catch a Catfish on powerbait or do they eat pretty much anyting?

Also once on the pier I caught a fish that looked like it was exposed to radiation. It felt like jello.[Tongue]
[signature]
[cool]Hey BFFG, is this your first visit to our forum? If so, Welcome.

On the catfish thing, catching them on powerbait is not that uncommon. Just about anywhere catfish and trout coexist, folks fishing with PB will hook catfish. The flip side of the coin is that trout will sometimes munch the more "exotic" baits being fished for cats.

In Lake Cachuma, up by Santa Barbara, I caught quite a few decent trout on chunks of anchovy, strips of salted makerel or bonito and even on blood baits fished for the channel cats there. There are a couple of guys on the Utah BFT board who have recently reported catching trout on chunks of "aged" carp meat being soaked for cats.

Most people think cats only hit nasty baits, soaked on the bottom...at night. In fact, in clear waters where the visibility is good enough, channel cats become "sight feeders" and will chase flies and lures...during the day. I have caught literally thousands of cats on artificials over the years.

I don't know what kind of fish you caught off the pier that was deformed, but there have been a lot of inshore species affected by the runoff and sewage outfalls along the coast. I have taken several species of bottom dwellers...especially kingfish (tomcod)...with tumors and deformities.

When fishing off the piers at night, you are likely to hook some rare and wierd-looking fish. Some of the deepwater nocturnal fish sometimes wander closer to shore at night, especially during the solder months. And during the warm summer months...especially during an "El Nino" year, you can sometimes pick up some exotics from farther south.

If you fish often enough, in enough different places, you will accumulate your share of wierd fishing stories. Of course, with some fishermen, the truth gets kinda bent over the years of telling the stories anyway. But, you didn't hear that from me.
[signature]